Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02   #196

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Make sure you get engine oil analyst done on each engine & genset.
Ok, I will. Thanks for the advice.

Is that something that I request of the surveyor or do I get a marine mechanic to do it?
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

If I was available, I'd help.
Well, I'm thinking I would have delivery scheduled for around May or June. Maybe you will be then.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27   #198

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey! They say you fund THE boat ...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing beats the feeling of being a brand new owner of a ship!

Fair winds!

Post pictures!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32   #199
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Congrats GG.... hope the survey throws up no expensive probs for ya...
Gutted you didn't go for the Gulet tho...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:15   #200

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Ok, I will. Thanks for the advice.

Is that something that I request of the surveyor or do I get a marine mechanic to do it?

You would typically hire a well-recommended marine surveyor, and then also a well-recommended engine mechanic to do the engines/genset survey. Ideally the latter is a bubba with specific experience and certifications on at least the target brand of main engine(s), and hopefully with the same qualifications relevant to the target genset brand. (For example, our main engines are Cummins... so techs from the local Cummins distributor performed our engine engine survey.)

Choice of captain might get less complicated once you're comfortable announcing the "where from" and "where to"

-Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 21:01   #201

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I have been reading Voyaging Under Power by Robert Beebe and Denis Umstot. A very well written book that covers a lot of ground about trawlers and what to look for when you buy. Another book is by Dave Gerr, The Nature of Boats. He goes over the design of boats including trawlers.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 22:25   #202

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: No longer Overwhelmed!!!

Quote:
OMG!!!

I can't belive that I am about to say this, but after almost a year of searching and research, I think that I have found my boat. Of course, I still need to, view in person, make an offer, survey, etc., but I am so excited I can't stand it. I really do think this boat will work for me and my kids. I don't want to post the link yet, but it is a trawler, it has 4 staterooms, it's within my budget and most importantly, it is ocean crossing capable. The only drawback is that it is not located at all close. If anyone can recommend a good captain that you have personally dealt with for delivery I would appreciate it. I would love someone who is kind, patient, and willing to teach, and someone who will not be condescending to me as a female.

Thanks.
Congratulations, Galaxy! I hope that isn't premature, but it sounds like you intend to close on this one, barring unforseen complications. Where are you, and where is it? Would you be able to ride along on the delivery?
Old 06-02-2013, 22:45   #203

Boat: too many

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking I would have delivery scheduled for around May or June. Maybe you will be then.
I care for my 93 year old dad, so I hope I'm not available that soon. I expect pop is good for 100, so you are going to have at least a 6 year head start on me. You can tell me your favorite anchorages.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:47   #204

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's not a done deal, so I'm not going to celebrate just yet.

I am in negotiation with the seller. Cross your finger for me......
Old 07-02-2013, 13:54   #205

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Successful negotiations

Negotiate hard and be prepared to walk away. Its a buyers market particually for motor vessels..

Good luck. Plenty here wishing you well.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:25   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Successful negotiations

Negotiate hard and be prepared to walk away. Its a buyers market particually for motor vessels..

Good luck. Plenty here wishing you well.
Thank you!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 15:30   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Congratulations, Galaxy! I hope that isn't premature, but it sounds like you intend to close on this one, barring unforseen complications. Where are you, and where is it? Would you be able to ride along on the delivery?
I don't want to say where it is just yet, but I am in New England. The boat is not in the United States.

Depending on how long the delivery takes, I may be able to accompany the entire ride. I figure I could easily do 2 months of the trip. This is why I need a good patient captain because I am going to view the delivery as an intense training course. I'm hoping that when I get the boat home I will be fairly proficient at the basics.
Old 07-02-2013, 15:37   #208

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I don't want to say where it is just yet, but I am in New England. The boat is not in the United States.

Depending on how long the delivery takes, I may be able to accompany the entire ride. I figure I could easily do 2 months of the trip. This is why I need a good patient captain because I am going to view the delivery as an intense training course. I'm hoping that when I get the boat home I will be fairly proficient at the basics.
That sounds an excellent way to start the learning process. Imersion.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:14   #209

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

Oh. I would do it for nothing plus expenses if it were only a few days. Depending on the boat and its location. I am afraid you will be looking for someone who does deliveries for a living, unless you can find a retiree just looking for something to do. You might try posting in the crew wanted forum, once you close the deal.

Yeah what I envision is a paid delivery skipper, one paid crew, so there are two guys to baseball the watch, and you go into learning mode and within a couple of days, you stand a watch, too. Remember, the Captain is ALWAYS on watch in a sense, and when there is any doubt about what to do, you can, and should, call him. You would at least learn how to do normal watchkeeping, rules of the road, how to interpret the pretty lights you see on other boats, determine whether or not risk of collision exists and take appropriate action, and perhaps learn some simple electronic and chart navigation. If you are lucky, you will also learn how to keep a current DR position on the chart. (Dead Reckoning... a method of knowing where you are by knowing where you WERE, x amount of hours ago at y speed and z course) I say lucky because there is a whole new generation of guys out there who don't know how to do any navigating that doesn't involve push buttons and scroll menus on a magic box.

Anyway, after that long a voyage, you should be competent to do short range cruising or day trips without paid help. You will want to keep your skipper around for a couple of days when you get home though, to work with you on docking, undocking, and maneuvering in close proximity to other boats and fixed objects and structures. Once you got all that down, you will have a pretty fair bit of independence, enough to actually start enjoying your boat right away, while you learn more stuff. I really think that is important for a new boat owner, to get some use out of the boat right away. It really helps you to feel good about your purchase.

Don't forget the maintenance side of things. You will need to know how to do at least basic engineroom stuff like start or stop engines locally, check and change oil and change oil and fuel filters, check batteries, maybe do simple troubleshooting, and if nothing else, learn how stuff is supposed to look or feel or sound, so you know you got a problem and need to get someone to fix it. Remember, you got no sails! New engines are expensive, too. When you get done paying for an overhaul or a rebuild, you will feel like you paid for new ones but only got the old ones back. Good maintenance will keep them purring contently for many, many years to come.

Good luck, GG. I really hope it all goes well for you and you get lots of enjoyment out of your new boat.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:24   #210

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

You probably know this already, but...

DO consider the cost of transport (fuel, staff, provisions, maintenance and repairs while underway, incidentals, unexpecteds, and TIME) when you're comparing cost of that boat versus cost of a similar model closer to home. Assuming such exists -- or may exist in the future.

-Chris

Tags
paracelle