Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 11:09   #136
Red

Boat: Lowell
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Galaxy Girl, Admire your dream & would love to see this work for you. Your budget restricts the choices. A 65' @ that price will be old & need continual maintenance, repairs & upgrades. For 1/2 mil purchase price you should be looking @ Grand Banks, Krogen or Nordhaven in the 40'-50' range, all less than 15 yrs.old. A Hat is designed to go fishing or cruising faster than you require plus the fuel consumption will soon make you hesitant to leave the dock. Glad someone else posted regarding their apprehension of meeting your vessel while underway. My intial reaction to your post was- hope she's boating far from me. However I'm also on the East Coast, so be sure to arm yourself with classes & experience prior to cruising. Think you re short-sighted, by the time the eldest is off to college you'll be on your next boat. Do not know any committed boated who remains with his/her first boat. It's a process of finding the best fit for your budget, needs & lifestyle-all of which change as time passes. Learning to "boat" is a continual, evolving education. With children & grandparents on board you need to arm yourself to be self-sufficient @ sea. Assistance is rarely readily available. Learn the mechanicals, purchase tools & systems to diagnose breakdowns, carry extra parts(redundancy is crucial), take some medical training & navigation classes, be prepared to "make do" with parts, tools, food, equipment & supplies. Forty yrs. on the water has taught me nothing can go from bad to worse faster than on the water. And the sea CAN have a fury beyond your comprehension. Mother Nature will cut you no slack. Prepare for the worst & you're likely to have the best experience of your life.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:13   #137
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My quick Google came up with this 65' of Hatteras for $450k:-

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=70231&url=

No idea if that is ballpark for those boats - but what springs out at me (apart from the boat pics look nice) is the year built. 1982. That's 30 years old.

Nothing inherently wrong with an older boat (mine is over 40 - abeit a tad smaller ) but (as a rough comparison) buying something of that age in boats is akin to buying a Ferrari of the same age. Their are good ones and not so good ones (often enough both looking shiney), both will require regular feeding with cash (will always be "something" to repair or replace - as well as the usual maintanence). but the bad one will slowly break your heart. and possibly your bank account .......I bought the Ford .

Anyway, I appreciate your frustrations (red ink - lol ) - but CF a very good place to discover your own questions and in internet terms folks are as nice as they get. IMO getting pissy don't really help folks help you. or care to even try.
Just to fill the fuel tank one time-on this boat cost about $13,445 USD !!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:39   #138

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'm not cranky (...) Boating is all about money, You have cash, so your going boating. End of story. Good luck and have fun.
Maybe you are not, but you definitely sound like you were ;-)

Most technical sports, if we were to use your definition, are all about money. You need a bike to bike and ice skates to ice skate - and then, you know, comes the ICE!

But maybe you just spend so much on your boat while others do not?

To me, anyways, boating is all about boats and sailing them. I started sailing at 4, when I had, literally, nothing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:44   #139
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Ouch!

But nonetheless a predictable expense, and controllable (don't wanna spend - don't go!) - plus in practice won't be emptying a tank every week . So can either afford it (and want to spend it!) or not.

My concern is the unpredictable expenses that come with older, bigger and complex. Will always be something (and usually with 3 zeros, and in that size and budget occassionally 4 ), the "fun" is in finding out what (this time)........

Not saying don't, but eyes wide open .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:42   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My quick Google came up with this 65' of Hatteras for $450k:-

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=70231&url=

No idea if that is ballpark for those boats - but what springs out at me (apart from the boat pics look nice) is the year built. 1982. That's 30 years old.

Nothing inherently wrong with an older boat (mine is over 40 - abeit a tad smaller ) but (as a rough comparison) buying something of that age in boats is akin to buying a Ferrari of the same age. Their are good ones and not so good ones (often enough both looking shiney), both will require regular feeding with cash (will always be "something" to repair or replace - as well as the usual maintanence). but the bad one will slowly break your heart. and possibly your bank account .......I bought the Ford .

Anyway, I appreciate your frustrations (red ink - lol ) - but CF a very good place to discover your own questions and in internet terms folks are as nice as they get. IMO getting pissy don't really help folks help you. or care to even try.
okay, so let me be sure that I have this correct. It's okay for others to insult me and be rude, but if I defend myself than that is pissy. Sorry, I was raised from a whole line of very strong women. I am going to defend myself, and give back exactly what I am given, and if that means that some choose not to offer helpful information than so be it, as we have seen others will. Treat people as you would like to be treated, even if you are able to hide behind your monitor.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:47   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't you get about a 3000 mile range out of that 13k. That could practically get you over to the Carribean, cruising around for a couple months and back, right?
Old 21-01-2013, 14:57   #142

Boat: too many

GG,

What did you think of the sizzle reel?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:59   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
GG there is a 58' trawler on Annapolis craigslist for 189.It is located in Baltimore and it is in pretty good shape.I don't know the seller,but I saw the boat about a year ago.Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I wish they had posted more info, but the salon is huge, and the price is nice.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:05   #144

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't you get about a 3000 mile range out of that 13k. That could practically get you over to the Carribean, cruising around for a couple months and back, right?
LOL, you could probably do the same on a cruise ship including all food and beverages.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:10   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
LOL, you could probably do the same on a cruise ship including all food and beverages.
But you don't get to choose your time frame or anchorages. That is why I cruise, all the miles at sea were always by direction of others, the shipping company. There is a lot to be said for doing it on your own.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:11   #146

Or on this one I posted earlier you could do approximately 3 times the miles
ADD: Make that 4 x the miles
Quote:
Her Gardiner diesel (new 2003) will use 8ltrs/hr @ 1100 revs doing 6.5 to 7.5 knots.

Used 1983 MCLAREN CUSTOM Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
Old 21-01-2013, 15:12   #147

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Good advice. I have my boat because the previous owner found out after he had the boat shipped across the country and went out with his wife and kids and found that they get quite seasick. His pain was my gain. You might want to check out whether you or your kids will still be having "fun" when things get a little rough when underway. My gal likes to vacation on Catamarans but, I would never own one. From my experience they are great space wise at anchor. But, the pounding and vibration they go through when even in moderate seas on many tacks just makes me cringe. Do some charters in all kinds of weather and conditions and see if you are still in love with the boat type.
There are cats and cats. All are no tthe same as with the trawlers. Need to try some.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:13   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

What did you think of the sizzle reel?
I loved it.

Showing my kids right now.

Whatever became of the show? Are they still trying to get it picked up? That would be fun to watch.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:15   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
But you don't get to choose your time frame or anchorages. That is why I cruise, all the miles at sea were always by direction of others, the shipping company. There is a lot to be said for doing it on your own.
Yeah, my point being is GG seems to be implying that $13k for such a short voyage is some sort of "good value" when compared to the above vessel it is clear that it is not.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:20   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Or on this one I posted earlier you could do approximately 3 times the miles

Used 1983 MCLAREN CUSTOM Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
I'm impressed with both the price and low fuel consumption. At 7 kt around 3.5 nm per gallon, which is amazing for a 119,000 lb wood boat. Drives home my point on a large diameter, large pitch slow turning prop, as it is sporting a 52" X 42.5 pitch single Propellor. No mention of the gear box ratio for a 152 hp to swing this monster.

Tags
paracelle