Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 09:06   #106

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not sure why my plans sound so unrealistic to you, but the fact is, to each his own. May sound tricky to you, but I've accomplished much bigger goals in my life than this. Living on a boat with my kids will be a walk in the park compared to some things I've conquered. I'm sure of that....and....fun to boot. Otherwise, I obviously wouldn't be choosing to do it.

Dude, life is too short. You shouldn't close your mind up so.

Hey future sailor-- as I stated in a previous post

"Maybe she has cash because if she does not, she just might face reality in finding available financing opportunities. I still maintain the entire idea is ill thought out. I personally will only be convinced otherwise if she returns next year to share her experiences."

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:03   #107

Quote:
Some of these comments would make me think that I wasn't even posting on a boating forum. I really didn't think that I would have to explain to boaters why I want a boat.

And....not everyone lost in the market collapse. In fact, savy investors, such as myself, actually flourished during that time. The crash was the best thing that ever happened to my real estate career, but that's another story. And....don't make ASSumptions. I don't invest in NE. Yes, I live here, but I invest elsewhere.

Some of you are very niave and presumptuous.
Well the picture and personality emerge as ever with time. I may be naive or not, but despite considerable experience of human pathology, I prefer to withhold assumptions and judgment initially. A fuller picture emerges quite rapidly.
Most posters raised salient points from experience. Whether it is a 50,000 or 500,000 boat if it is older refurbishment and maintenance costs will likely surprise you. However, that is not an issue that concerns either of us.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:27   #108

GG
You are frustrated because you are likely trying to do the impossible. Six kids on a liveaboard is like six kids on land, but much worse. Get a little boat to take your brood out on weekends and then see what happens. Living aboard is much harder than living ashore. Stay on land.
Jeff
schuitema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:34   #109

Boat: 45ft Ketch

GG its not at all impossible. Kids learn to socialize so much better when they are crammed into the accommodation compared to 1 room per kid and plenty of isolation space. The difficult part in my opinion is learning to monitor the electrical system, the plumbing system, fresh water, waste water etc. The bigger the ship the more details you have to learn. Finding the right person to walk you through it all will be important.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:26   #110

Quote:

I've been in the real estate investment business for over 13 years and I've NEVER had as much confusion buying a house as I am having with choosing a potential boat. I'm very frustrated at this point. There are so many variables and maybe too many choices. One discovery leads to more research which then leads to another discovery and I feel like I could spend another 3 years on research without ever having viewed a damn thing. I wish that I had the luxury of buying small amd upgrading with experience to learn my real needs, but I just don't. The reality is that I need to purchase a boat as a liveaboard at a marina for a while and I have 5 kids. I do have a small condo that we will also use, but neither full time. I don't want to choose the wrong boat, but there are just so many variables.
I can't even figure out what I should be looking at. I have been at this since the summer. Every time I narrow it down somewhat, I realize that I have missed something or wrong about something. I must be doing something wrong here. There has to be a better way to figure this out. Maybe I need the assistance of a yacht broker. I have spoken to a few, but it seems that they just push what they are trying to sell, not necessarily what I need.
I know that I am going to do this come hell or high water, even if it means purchasing the wrong boat, but it sure would be nice to get the right one. We are so excited about the lifestyle and I am eager to sell my house to achieve it, but I don't want to do that until I have found the boat.
The forums bring both support and naysay, but mostly a bunch of different opinion, which is great. That's what I need, but sometimes, that too brings more confusion, when one person says yes you can, while the other is saying your nuts.
Besides, upgrading with time, has anyone been in a similar situation starting with no experience. How did you decide?
Start out a little smaller. Sounds like you need a million dollars and a crew of two, plus yourself.
schuitema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:21   #111
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

The adventures of Galaxy Squirrel, the cartoon saga of a feisty squirrel family looking for just the right hollow tree large enough to hold nuts for five. Sponge bob could stop by and hand out captains licenses, then the crew could grab a snack at the crab shack. Ah the good times at bikini bottom.

Who lives in a tree under the sea?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:34   #112

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Thanks for the very helpful insight. I have another question for you. Should I be concerned about stabilizers or can I add them later?
Stabilizers are for the larger round bottom boats (no chine). It takes quite a bit to install them and are power hungry.
Old 20-01-2013, 16:35   #113

Boat: too many

GalaxyGirl,

I don't know what it is about you, but it feels like deja vu for me. I've had naysayers tell me I can't do this or that but I've stubbornly carried on. Even family thought I might be in over my head when I finally received acceptance to the California Maritime Academy in my 40's, going up against the top HS grads 1/2 my age. In automotive forums (hot rods) I was told by many that what I was trying to design and build would not be possible, but I did it anyway and my roadster is known throughout the community of gear heads being in major Hot Rod publications.

It appears this is something you really want, and I think you will be able to pull it off despite what others are saying. To help you decide and narrow down all the choices, a bit of tech might steer you towards a design that is just right for you. Starting below the waterline, hull shape and propeller. Long narrow beam boats are easier to push through the water than larger beam vessels. A great example of true long distance motor cruisers are the line that Steve Dashew has created after a lifetime spent cruising. SetSail . The other way is two long and narrow hulls that you would have in a catamaran trawler.

Now on to the prop, what converts your mechanical energy into propulsion. A large slow turning prop is the most efficient, but for pleasure boats you have dimensional restrictions so compromises are made. If you remember my mention of Nordhavn and their 3.79 to 1 drive reduction to allow a deep pitch, slower turning prop. On the container ships I served on, the diesels are slow speed, max rpm is 118, so even at direct drive, that is all the speed of the prop. The pitch of the prop (measured in inches for pleasure craft, and feet in large ships) determines the vessel speed. For each revolution, a 20" pitch prop will push the vessel 20" less slip. Slip is less the slower the prop turns, so that is more efficient.

Onto maneuverability for close quarters work for docking or getting into a slip. Most trawler/cruisers have a bow thruster to help with this but a twin screw vessel can manage without bow thrusters. This is why I mentioned a catamaran trawler for you. When I was at the Academy as a freshman we learned on a single screw diesel launch in the heavy currents that plagued our docks in the Carquinez Straits. This required the use of spring lines deployed by your deck crew so that you had something to work against in dealing with the currents. Later as an upperclassman we used the twin screw diesel launches, and docking was now easy. Our separation of these props was only around 3', but what a difference in control of the vessel. A cat trawler will have around 12' of separation, so you would be a pro in no time, being able to turn your boat around in the length of the boat.

This is just something you can chew on for awhile since you have been researching since last summer. I'm completely supportive of your desire to cruise with your kids, I believe it to be a great lifestyle that produces confident children. Most of my friends that are cruising are doing so on sailboats, but these friends are on a 43' Nordhavn trawler. Three@Sea check out the videos that Ayla put together over the years of 12 to 16.

Good luck, if you have questions just ask.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:14   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
The adventures of Galaxy Squirrel, the cartoon saga of a feisty squirrel family looking for just the right hollow tree large enough to hold nuts for five. Sponge bob could stop by and hand out captains licenses, then the crew could grab a snack at the crab shack. Ah the good times at bikini bottom.

Who lives in a tree under the sea?
Your username really does suit you. Good choice.

Funny...I was envisioning you as this cranky old man, but you are practically my age. But, I'm sure the cranky is spot on.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:27   #115

I'm the old guy, but I left my crank on the Model T.
Old 20-01-2013, 18:55   #116

GG,

Brand new, a bit above your budget 2013 Journey Catamarans LRCat - Boats.com

Used 2004 below your budget 2004 Endeavour Catamaran Trawlertcat - Boats.com

Good thing about both, with a good check out by seller, you'll be ready to motor.
Old 20-01-2013, 19:04   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GalaxyGirl,

I don't know what it is about you, but it feels like deja vu for me. I've had naysayers tell me I can't do this or that but I've stubbornly carried on. Even family thought I might be in over my head when I finally received acceptance to the California Maritime Academy in my 40's, going up against the top HS grads 1/2 my age. In automotive forums (hot rods) I was told by many that what I was trying to design and build would not be possible, but I did it anyway and my roadster is known throughout the community of gear heads being in major Hot Rod publications.

It appears this is something you really want, and I think you will be able to pull it off despite what others are saying. To help you decide and narrow down all the choices, a bit of tech might steer you towards a design that is just right for you. Starting below the waterline, hull shape and propeller. Long narrow beam boats are easier to push through the water than larger beam vessels. A great example of true long distance motor cruisers are the line that Steve Dashew has created after a lifetime spent cruising. SetSail . The other way is two long and narrow hulls that you would have in a catamaran trawler.

Now on to the prop, what converts your mechanical energy into propulsion. A large slow turning prop is the most efficient, but for pleasure boats you have dimensional restrictions so compromises are made. If you remember my mention of Nordhavn and their 3.79 to 1 drive reduction to allow a deep pitch, slower turning prop. On the container ships I served on, the diesels are slow speed, max rpm is 118, so even at direct drive, that is all the speed of the prop. The pitch of the prop (measured in inches for pleasure craft, and feet in large ships) determines the vessel speed. For each revolution, a 20" pitch prop will push the vessel 20" less slip. Slip is less the slower the prop turns, so that is more efficient.

Onto maneuverability for close quarters work for docking or getting into a slip. Most trawler/cruisers have a bow thruster to help with this but a twin screw vessel can manage without bow thrusters. This is why I mentioned a catamaran trawler for you. When I was at the Academy as a freshman we learned on a single screw diesel launch in the heavy currents that plagued our docks in the Carquinez Straits. This required the use of spring lines deployed by your deck crew so that you had something to work against in dealing with the currents. Later as an upperclassman we used the twin screw diesel launches, and docking was now easy. Our separation of these props was only around 3', but what a difference in control of the vessel. A cat trawler will have around 12' of separation, so you would be a pro in no time, being able to turn your boat around in the length of the boat.

This is just something you can chew on for awhile since you have been researching since last summer. I'm completely supportive of your desire to cruise with your kids, I believe it to be a great lifestyle that produces confident children. Most of my friends that are cruising are doing so on sailboats, but these friends are on a 43' Nordhavn trawler. Three@Sea check out the videos that Ayla put together over the years of 12 to 16.

Good luck, if you have questions just ask.
Thanks for taking the time to share all that great info. You are clearly very knowledgeable about the technical ins and outs of boat design.

I think its great that you were able to design and build your roadster. That is an amazing accomplishment. You are obviously quite intelligent. Love that you showed them.

Also, thanks for sharing the Three@Sea blog. Ayla is an amazing young lady. Her real life education at sea seems far superior to that of what my kids get with brick and mortar. Seeing her videos really lets me know that I will be doing the right thing in homeschooling or boatschooling my youngest child.
Old 20-01-2013, 19:22   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

Brand new, a bit above your budget 2013 Journey Catamarans LRCat - Boats.com

Used 2004 below your budget 2004 Endeavour Catamaran Trawlertcat - Boats.com

Good thing about both, with a good check out by seller, you'll be ready to motor.
I'm actually surprised that the first one is new and under a million.

The second one is a great price, but I'm just not sure about those cabins. I am going to have to find one in my area and check it out in person.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:16   #119

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to share all that great info. You are clearly very knowledgeable about the technical ins and outs of boat design.

I think its great that you were able to design and build your roadster. That is an amazing accomplishment. You are obviously quite intelligent. Love that you showed them.

Also, thanks for sharing the Three@Sea blog. Ayla is an amazing young lady. Her real life education at sea seems far superior to that of what my kids get with brick and mortar. Seeing her videos really lets me know that I will be doing the right thing in homeschooling or boatschooling my youngest child.
Did you watch Alya's walk through of her family's boat? Also catch her latest video on the Panama Canal transit. A lot of maturity gained cruising from age 12 to 16. She is considering CMA.

As to the roadster, it is my "Swiss Army Knife" of hot rods. Good street manners with a mild idle, corners better than a Corvette, mid 9 second 1/4 mile, and gets better than 25 mpg on the highway. The naysayers said you couldn't have all that in one car. That is it in my avatar, weighs 1790 lbs.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:22   #120

GG there is a 58' trawler on Annapolis craigslist for 189.It is located in Baltimore and it is in pretty good shape.I don't know the seller,but I saw the boat about a year ago.Good luck.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle