Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 13:59   #31

If you have the money anything can be done, but realistically it's usually cheaper to find a boat with the systems already installed. About the only thing that you can add to an older boat that won't break the bank is bow and stern thrusters if not already equipped with them then there are several companies that offer control systems that will tie all the engines and thrusters together to give a joystick control. They even offer ones that have a remote that you can operate outside the cockpit even on the dock. The technology is there to operate a boat like a remote control toy. The older the boat the harder and more there is to retro it to make it all work. Once you get around large boats and people who jump into them without having any experience you will find those with a larger checkbook than their grasp of reality. From earlier posts it looks like your need for space will bring you into a 60' boat and unless the kids can be your crew you will not be able to actually take the boat out. That should also be a big factor in your decision. But if you take some boats out you will find what you like and you will get a good grasp if what you can handle.
Everett1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:02   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

GG, you still haven't told us your budget. I know that this is kinda private info, but without some idea of your general price range it is pretty hard to give concrete advice.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-01-2013, 14:17   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
the ability to travel to the Caribbean comfortably (enough fuel and stability)
is a totally different boat to this
Quote:
I definitely need a boat that I can one day cross oceans in.
Old 13-01-2013, 14:20   #34

Boat: too many

GalaxyGirl, cat man do is the perfect guy to help you, as he has a 50' power catamaran.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:00   #35

Quote:
Thanks for the very helpful insight. I have another question for you. Should I be concerned about stabilizers or can I add them later?

I love stabilizers, but they are not inexpensive. I think it's unlikely that a boat more than 5-10 years old will have them, but you might get lucky.

Here's a link to an retrofit that I did a couple of years ago. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post654555

The bigger the boat the easier a retrofit is likely to be since there tends to be more room to work with. But be aware that they need to be located in the middle 1/3 of the waterline (middle 1/5 is preferable), so there needs to be space and access in that area. Outboard fuel tanks, living space, and other things might get in the way and prohibit a retrofit.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:15   #36

I haven't been to the Miami show, but expect there is a brokerage area. But even if you look at new boats, they don't change all that much over the years so you will still get a good sense of different approaches and layouts.

I think the best advice any of can give is to not rush if you don't have to. As you are discovering, there is a ton to learn, and a zillion different approaches to laying out a boat. As soon as you see something you like, wait 10 minutes and you will see other idea that's better. Get on as many boats as you possible can just to get ideas. And be sure to look at the next size rang up to see what more you get as you go larger. You may not want it or be able to afford it, but it's still good to know what's there.

A 65' boat is a big investment any way you look at it. An older boat may come with a lower purchase price, but will also come with higher maintenance costs and big expensive things that are more likely to be closer to failing. People joke about how BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. On a 65' boat that's more like $10,000 bills your will be throwing around.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:35   #37

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You just need to take a deep breath! Try a few boats for size, comfort, cost of ownership, maintenance and upkeep. Once you have accomplished that in about a six-month time frame, come back and tell us what you have decided on buying; list your best 5 boat picks. We can guide you from that point on. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:37   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Galaxy girl. I wouldn't write any SORs. You simply don't have enough experience. First I suggest you look at some boats in your budget. Just to get an idea of what's available. If any take your fancy , hire a good surveyor and ensure you tell him or her what you intend to do with the boat.

Alternatively try a few trips on something similar.

The key is to build up real world knowledge of real world boats.

Dave
Old 13-01-2013, 16:34   #39

Boat: Tayana 37

GalaxyGirl,
I've been researching, walking docks and hitching rides for close to 3 years. I have narrowed it down to 2 available boats and will pull the trigger on one as soon as I get some family stuff sorted.(spring at the latest.) I have benefited from a lot of great advise / information from this site. And I have had loads and loads of fun looking and reading.A freind tells me I enjoy looking to much and should try buying. I dont have a lot of experience, dinghys when I was young and some club racing, but I have found that all boats are a compromise (have been told that many times on this site as well). One has this the other has that. I think you have to get out and look at them, you will fall in love with one sooner or later. I did. Other than that just relax and enjoy the process, this can be sooooo much fun. Good luck.
p.s. 3 kids can fit nicely into a double berth, or at least mine could.
Old 13-01-2013, 17:05   #40

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Hi Galaxy. Great tribe! With 4 bundles of energy in their prime I'd be looking at a Galley ship. Economic, environment friendly and the kids will sleep well after their shift.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 17:18   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Just because it has sails, doesn't mean you have to sail. Have you considered something like a Privilege 585? 5 staterooms and lots of space. Plus the twin engines make it easier to handle. If you decide to go to the Caribbean you can hire a sailing captain and sail it for less $$ on fuel.
Whilst a sailing catamaran is not a motor Trawler - nonetheless I think a large sailing catamaran worthy of some consideration. Main downside is less space than 65 foot of trawler but layout might suit better, especially if the four corners are bunk areas (errrr....Staterooms ), but big upside is less fuel bills when you (or a Skipper) move her (and smaller engines to maintain in the meantime). and yer never know, one day you might even get into the sailing thing .

In any event, perhaps important to be aware that most plans which folk appear on CF with are possible - just not all very likely, at least for that person............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 17:32   #42

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I have to poop on your parade. Nobody knows WHY you MUST have a boat to live on at the same time as a condo and with 5 kids. UNREALISTIC unless you just won a lottery.

You say somebody is helping in the search for a 65' something. You say your from New England. You say you intend to share the condo along with a boat for residence.

But I want to start by considering a 65' anything for living quarters for 6 people ....unless your plan is to have kids live in the condo, you in the boat, space is tight. Assume for example the 65' something has a beam of 15' and remember, boats do not have rectangular shapes unless it is a house boat. But for this analysis, 15X65 is only 975 square feet of living space and in reality because of a boat's shape, it will be less, probably much less. That is an average of about 160 square feet of living space/person. Not much larger than an average office.

Now the thing needs docking someplace. Around here a boat that size will see prices starting around $10,000 for a summer season, more for year round. AND FINDING PLACES HERE IN NEW ENGLAND for a boat that size will be difficult. And do not forget the water use fees along with the local excise tax plus insurance. And of course you have no boating experience so I doubt many insurers will rush to sell a policy to you.

And New England gets cold, very cold as you must know. Great to live on a boat with an insulation factor of about 1 and try to heat it. I do not share most other comments about looking at boat shows, I believe the entire endeavor is not well thought out, from what is already discussed, unrealistic.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:20   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Quote:
Love the idea of a houseboat, but they don't really move- No good.

Kids are 13, 12, 12, 11 and 3. Plus my mom and maybe hubby accompany at times.

Not at all interested in sail. Trawler or great fuel mobos only.

I think what is confusing me the most at this time is range capabilities. I know that I want to be able to go to the Caribbean at some point, even if it is a captain getting me there. Confused about whether I need to get a "long range" boat to be able to do this or just a trawler with a large fuel capacity. How much fuel would I need?
If you want something that moves with that many (7?) on board then you need crew.

And the only source I can see you getting crew is the above mentioned Mom, hubby and kids.

So realistically, until you have convinced your crew and then trained them you ain't goin' nowhere.

In terms of boat you need a minimum of single berths for 5 plus a double.

Work out how much you can afford, divide it by 2 (or maybe even 3) and that's your maximum spend. Plug that, and the number of berths required, into Yachtworld and you have your boat. Dial down to your location if it's more than 1.

I can't see why you wouldn't want a sailboat. Locking 5 bored kids up in a boat with nothing to do would be (as an ex high school teacher) my idea of hell.

If you have $3 mil then I can see most votes for this boat.
Robertson and Caine Leopard 62
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 20:15   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Or if yous are serious about this and want to get your training up to scratch and to find out what it's really like to own a boat buy something like this or this.

It wouldn't be that difficult to split your family into two groups, one on boat and one on land.

Then once you get your eye in a bit (like, checking the weather forecast) try steaming round the bay. Do this a few times and you'll be ready to try anchoring, then anchoring over night (some could sleep in air mattresses on the floor), then longer trips and then...

However it sounds like you want to get the whole package together, tie it up with a neat ribbon than then present it as a fait accompli. If so, good luck.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 20:20   #45

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Thank you. Good advice. I am waiting right now for a broker to get back to me to view a 65' Hat in my area. I think that part of the problem is that I live in New England. It seems that the boats that I am interested in are so far away. There is one in Cali and a couple in Fl. I do plan on travelling to see them, but I want to be sure that it is a good contender before I start running all over the place.

It doesn't matter where you live, all the good ones are some other place.

Tags
paracelle