Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2014, 11:57   #976

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Eys,

What you say makes sense. Believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see (increase that for the internet); however, I have found that serious yachtsmen are, very often, different. Most have no agenda and aren't trying to sell you something. We tend to have a genuine interest in the subject. I have been restoring a very complicated, custom built boat for 2 years. I have lived aboard in the San Juans, Alaska, the Caribe and the Med. I know many boat builders. They help me a lot but I seek all the information I can. These websites have helped me a lot with technical issues.

I have never become involved in this sort of discourse before.
My advice to GG, if she is serious, is to listen to everyone but apply a heavy filter, but, in the end she will have to jump in and sink or swim. It will be the experience of a lifetime. Think small.

Where should she go? Not a sales company who will, most likely, try to further their particular interests. I know expert boat builders and surveyors with generations of experience but they would never talk to GG. Not sure their knowledge would help her anyway.

Probably the best people to communicate with are those who have lived aboard for years and, maybe, the best place to find those people are in places like this.

I would search the internet for websites cruisers develop, that track their experiences. Many of those people are very friendly and will answer email. The record of their experiences, both good and bad, can be quite instructive.

I fear that what I write may not appropriate for this thread. I really don't know. Somebody please tell me if I'm out of line. There is a slight chance I might listen.

Real estate? I seek advice for people I have known for years. Easy to find real estate experts (Aren't they all?). Not so easy to find reliable people with live-aboard experience.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:18   #977

Boat: Still Searching
Completely Overwhelmed

I agree. With the above post. I'm in real estate similar to GG, and a ton of what I learned came from the internet and forums like this. In the modern age this is exactly the best place for info. It is common to visit forums and blogs and literally get to converse with some of the worlds foremost experts on various topics.

Obviously you gotta filter the info, but on this forum you'll find everything from experienced custom yacht builders to 40 year commercial shipping captains. Then obviously there are a ton of useless noobs like me who know nothing about boats, but hey, if you've got a random question about alternative investments, finance, and investment markets, I'm your guy.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:58   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Just curious GG. You have real estate experience yes? With your knowledge in that field would you direct a new bee to house ownership to an internet site such as this for critical advise? I am not saying I know whats right, just curious as to how you would deal with something you had more knowledge about. If you did not direct the new bee to a internet site where would you direct to?
You directed this at GG and I don't know of a website for home ownership, however, if a NewBee, aka a city person, needed advise on buying raw land in the country, developing the land, growing a garden, building a house, figure out what brand/size tractor, learn how to operate equipment and deal with various problems, not only mechanical, but with bad neighbors and trespassers, I know the site. It is www.tractorbynet.com aka TBN.

Plenty of people over the years have read and joined TBN to learn about tractors and living in the country.

Now, there are big differences between GG's buying a boat for the family vs land/house in the country but there is a website to help people do the later which is more similar to buying a boat than buying a house in the city.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 13:17   #979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

Plenty of people over the years have read and joined TBN to learn about tractors and living in the country.

Dan
Actually, TBN is a handy site for people on this forum too. There are a ton of diesel engine experts on TBN who would be more than happy to help with boat engine questions.
Old 14-02-2014, 06:08   #980

I know the perfect way to make a ton of money. Watch what I do and do the exact opposite.
One reason for this is my emotional attachment to restoring old boats. Never mention the word "boat" to my wife of 43 years.
Money is the stuff you use to spend on boats.
I wish I had more to contribute to this thread but I have nothing left except for pages of boring details or the amazing places I have been and the people whom I've met on this journey. In the end; what else is there?
Old 23-02-2014, 09:53   #981

I think that what some may be missing, and what may or may not set me apart from the rest, is that I don't/try not to take things too seriously. Life is too short. If I want something I jump in and figure it out. When I began my career in real estate at 22 I literally knew NOTHING about homes, home maintenance, renovation, landlording etc. I made more mistakes than I can count and learned from each one. So many laughed at me and doomed me to failure, now those same people come to me for advice, wanting to do the same. At the time I had no reference points, no internet forums, websites, didn't even read a book, but still figured it out. I hired people that knew how to get things done and paid attention. Now, things are much different. I know so much more than I did then from watching, learning, and my mistakes, but every now and then I still need to Google how to replace a washer on a shower valve on a brand that I am unfamiliar with. The internet has so much to offer. Forums like these are filled with folks like Phil, who have worlds of experience and are kind and willing to share and help. I would be a fool not to take advantage and learn from folks that have years of expertise who are ready to offer advice and answer stupid newbee questions. And... I am ever so grateful for them.

I have debated mono, single hull, trawler, motoryacht, even sail for months. Each person/family has a different set of needs. I can only do what I believe will be the best choice for my family's needs right now. I have 4 teenagers and a 4 year old. I also have 1 girl and my 50-something year old Mom. I have to be sure that there is enough space and separateness that everyone has peace and privacy as needed. The model of boat that I'm fairly certain I have narrowed to is frequently run by cruising couples. It will take time for me to learn to Captain, but even if I was buying a 40' boat it would take time. I will learn to independently Captain the boat with the help of my teens and my Mom. I will not be permanently tied to paid crew. My biggest and only real concern at this point is the engine repair, but I intend to take the diesel engine maintence courses in Maryland and I will pay attention when I need to have something done and I will learn. All the rest I am very confident that I can figure out. Sometimes the best way to learn something is by just doing it.

In regard to the greasy nails comment. I have a broken thumbnail now from taking my truck wiper assembly apart to fix a disconnected arm. I don't "like" to be greasy, but I do what I gotta do.

I'm buying a boat that has a great reputation and resale history. If it works out, great, and if it doesn't, then I'll try something else, but you have to start somewhere and times a wastin'. You'll never do anything worthwhile if you let fear run your life!!!

Now that my house is sold, I am ready to make my next move.

Thanks again to all who have continuously been supportive and sent well-wishes.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:05   #982

Sounds like me and I don't regret it a bit. Going down to the very complicated, custom built boat I have been restoring for 2 years. Have to pull the water pump">raw water pump out and rebuild it. Snowing like crazy. Never done this before and face it with a mixture of fear and excitement. I may take 5 times longer to do this than an experienced person, but, in the end I will thoroughly understand that pump and it will be done right. By the way, I've broken many nails.

Love your spirit. You will cry and laugh but you will experience something very few people have the courage to attempt.

Love your spirit.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:20   #983

Good luck in your search Galaxy. You living out of a hotel, or rent by the month?
Old 23-02-2014, 10:31   #984
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Congrats GG, on your persistence and tenacity. I for one think you will do fine overall, no matter what happens.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:47   #985

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Have to pull the raw water pump out and rebuild it. Snowing like crazy. Never done this before and face it with a mixture of fear and excitement.

Love your spirit.
my, here's how: Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - Mysteries of the Oberdorfer - Seal Replacement - REBUILDING A PUMP w/Flix

The "power of the internet" is vast.

What it really does is to help us all avoid reinventing the wheel.

I started learning this stuff back before the internet, too. I READ a lot.

Good luck to you and GG.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 11:05   #986

Great choice on taking some diesel mechanics courses too GG. Even better if you've chosen a boat by then and you know what brand engines you'll be working on. Then you can focus you learning better.
Old 23-02-2014, 14:36   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
Good luck in your search Galaxy. You living out of a hotel, or rent by the month?
Living out of hotels. I have to keep reminding my kids that although it feels like an endless vacation, they still have to get up for school
Old 24-02-2014, 08:36   #988

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Barpilot

Well said regarding how you started in real estate, etc. and where you are now. Just as a point of reference, most all of us drive cars, but, we didn't start out driving 18' long Cadillacs either. Just because I can drive a car doesn't mean that I can jump into the cab of a 53' 18 wheeler and back it into a loading dock with a trailer on either side. Imagine doing that in the same size boat and add in wind and current. My first house wasnt' the one I live in now. Like you said, we all have to start somewhere. I, and many others on here, probably would have been more supportive had you taken a smaller approach. More realistic to be sure.
For the forseeable future, should I come upon you, your boat, and family crew, I will be sure to give you all the room you need to navigate.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 09:01   #989

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
For the forseeable future, should I come upon you, your boat, and family crew, I will be sure to give you all the room you need to navigate.
Bar, are you saying this will not end well?

Old 24-02-2014, 09:10   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
Well said regarding how you started in real estate, etc. and where you are now. Just as a point of reference, most all of us drive cars, but, we didn't start out driving 18' long Cadillacs either. Just because I can drive a car doesn't mean that I can jump into the cab of a 53' 18 wheeler and back it into a loading dock with a trailer on either side. Imagine doing that in the same size boat and add in wind and current. My first house wasnt' the one I live in now. Like you said, we all have to start somewhere. I, and many others on here, probably would have been more supportive had you taken a smaller approach. More realistic to be sure.
Some of you keep repeating the same goofy thing. I have NEVER EVER said once that I was going to attempt to drive the boat until I am fully and properly trained and very proficient. Not sure why you would try and paint me in the light of reckless, when I am just the complete opposite.

The first house that I bought wasn't a single family. It was a 3 unit building. Out of my league as a 22 year old first time homebuyer, maybe, but I still turned around and made a bucket of cash a year later

But...I think comments like these, at this point, are what some like to call trolling; more about getting a rise than trying to make a sensible point.

Tags
paracelle