Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 18:27   #541

Boat: too many
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

So GG, what did you think of the boat in post #536? 2001, but cheap enough you wouldn't need to sell the house, sleeps 10 and after some training you would be in charge of a vessel this size.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
So GG, what did you think of the boat in post #536? 2001, but cheap enough you wouldn't need to sell the house, sleeps 10 and after some training you would be in charge of a vessel this size.
I can't see myself living in there. Vacationing yes, weekending sure, but year round living, not so much...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:24   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I can't see myself living in there. Vacationing yes, weekending sure, but year round living, not so much...
Cruisers generally keep moving... north from the tropics to escape the hurricanes and south in the winter to tropical climes and trade winds. They rarely "live" anywhere.

There are live-aboards that work ashore for example and park their boat and live "there"... and at most are day sailors or weekend cruisers.
I've done the typical cruiser north south pattern... and I've lived aboard in the north in the winter. Later is not appealing...rather live on land in the winter. I've spent some time in the summer in tropics.. aside from the concern for hurricanes... it's just more quiet.

The Canaries have summer year round and no hurricanes.... but the cruising is limited to 7 Islands... and the anchorages are not as sweet as the Caribe.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Cruisers generally keep moving... north from the tropics to escape the hurricanes and south in the winter to tropical climes and trade winds. They rarely "live" anywhere.

There are live-aboards that work ashore for example and park their boat and live "there"... and at most are day sailors or weekend cruisers.
I've done the typical cruiser north south pattern... and I've lived aboard in the north in the winter. Later is not appealing...rather live on land in the winter. I've spent some time in the summer in tropics.. aside from the concern for hurricanes... it's just more quiet.

The Canaries have summer year round and no hurricanes.... but the cruising is limited to 7 Islands... and the anchorages are not as sweet as the Caribe.
I hear ya Jef, but at the end of the day, we will still be returning to a boat to relax and prepare for bed no matter where we are. Can't be jammed up inside... with teens
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I hear ya Jef, but at the end of the day, we will still be returning to a boat to relax and prepare for bed no matter where we are. Can't be jammed up inside... with teens
This is where I'm missing something. In a 4 stateroom cat, there is much greater separation of staterooms than any mono. I'm not suggesting a cat just because of its displacement would allow you to captain it, or its hull efficiency cuts your fuel bill in half (those are good reasons though), but also for the privacy you seek. Wild sex could be happening in one of the staterooms and the occupants of the other staterooms wouldn't hear a thing. Ask folks who have sailed on both and they will all say much more privacy for folks in a cat.

Take a closer look at the Wright Cat, I think it might be the right boat for you. Because you only have the single helm on the flybridge, it opens the salon up for serious dining and space. You could feed 6 at one dinette and still have a 2nd one for you, Nana, and a guest. In the past I've tried to get you to look at the PDQ 34, but your right, too small for your family even though at 34' it has the room of a 50' mono.

Besides, with a cat offering 1.5 times the living space for the same length of a mono, this 52' powercat has the living space of a 78' mono. With the asking price of $249K, an offer of $165K might fly. So you wouldn't need to sell the house to get started. At least do a charter on a cat and compare to a mono. You may like the traditional looks of a trawler but for ease of operation and much less rolling in an anchorage you will prefer the cat.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:38   #546

Look at all the open space of the aft deck, swim platform and aft of the flybridge. This would allow you to carry a couple of dinghies (with your size family two are a must have), and other water toys.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51   #547

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This is where I'm missing something. In a 4 stateroom cat, there is much greater separation of staterooms than any mono. I'm not suggesting a cat just because of its displacement would allow you to captain it, or its hull efficiency cuts your fuel bill in half (those are good reasons though), but also for the privacy you seek. Wild sex could be happening in one of the staterooms and the occupants of the other staterooms wouldn't hear a thing. Ask folks who have sailed on both and they will all say much more privacy for folks in a cat.

Take a closer look at the Wright Cat, I think it might be the right boat for you. Because you only have the single helm on the flybridge, it opens the salon up for serious dining and space. You could feed 6 at one dinette and still have a 2nd one for you, Nana, and a guest. In the past I've tried to get you to look at the PDQ 34, but your right, too small for your family even though at 34' it has the room of a 50' mono.

Besides, with a cat offering 1.5 times the living space for the same length of a mono, this 52' powercat has the living space of a 78' mono. With the asking price of $249K, an offer of $165K might fly. So you wouldn't need to sell the house to get started. At least do a charter on a cat and compare to a mono. You may like the traditional looks of a trawler but for ease of operation and much less rolling in an anchorage you will prefer the cat.
I chartered a 41' cat and the space inside was huge for 2 couples. A 52' cat is enormous inside.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12   #548

ohdrinkboy,

This deal on the 52' Wright sounds too good to be true. Twin 350 hp Yanmars, one new in 2007, the other rebuilt 350 hours ago. A 47' Wright is also for sale, 5 years newer and around $800K. I have no idea why there is such a large price gap between a 2001 52' and a 2006 47', but if I was in the market for a powerboat I would call them and find out. The PDQ 34 I've been trying to push on GG run $150K to $225K, but I admit it is too small for her family. This one has the room and at a price that she could move the family onto and be able to leave her home in the dolled up show state that her RE agent shows to prospective buyers. I've read her blog and this seams like a lot of work prepping a home that has kids for a showing. If she would consider this boat then the $500K she was going to spend on a boat could stay in the house till it sold, and she and the family would be already cruising while the agent does the home showing.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49   #549

Boat: Seaward 22

I agree....that wright could be an awesome deal if it does not have serious issues. good location too.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I agree....that wright could be an awesome deal if it does not have serious issues. good location too.
The few things that come to mind is maybe it smells like a fishing boat or prospective buyers want two helm stations, one being weather protected. For the room that GG needs, the flybridge only helm is the way to go. In bad weather just have a remote for the autopilot so if you need to change course you can from the dry main salon.
Old 09-08-2013, 16:15   #551

a $150k cat with 4 staterooms and two heads: You can fillet a 5 ft mahi Mahi on that galley counter!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 18:32   #552

Sorry guys,
Not very interested in a cat, if you want to dig for a good deal on a raised pilothouse trawler you might get my attention
Old 10-08-2013, 18:35   #553

What's up with the two boats you have your eye on? Any developments?
Old 10-08-2013, 18:48   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
What's up with the two boats you have your eye on? Any developments?
The only thing that is holding me up right now is the house sale. I had the house under contract, but the buyers did something stupid at the last minute that the bank caught and didn't like, so the deal fell apart. I wasn't too thrilled. They are working on securing financing elsewhere, not sure if they will be successful or not. The Fall market will be here soon, so if not, hopefully I will find another buyer then.

I have eliminated one of the boats and the other, as long as it isn't sold, I am going to go for. Just a matter of time...
Old 10-08-2013, 18:58   #555

GREAT... I am looking forward to the next chapter of this adventure... I hope you keep us posted here or on the blog. I'm looking forward to seeing how the children's experience is... as well as mom's. The salty kids I know are incredible! I think this is a wonderful thing for them and I wish it was part of my youth. I think they should learn sailing however.. it's something they can do on there own and grow into the full on experience. I love to see the fleets of youngsters on the water from yacht clubs. YIKES... summer's half gone

Tags
paracelle