Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 15:22   #151

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Please share with us what you view in person, test drive, and your impressions. It is enjoyable to watch the search and acquisition of that "perfect" boat as an interested bystander. Do a couple of charters, one in a multihull trawler, and one in a monohull trawler.

I did my thesis on minimum wetted surface hulls, i.e. fast ferries. Not only more fuel efficient but less instances of sea sickness among the passengers.

Since you enjoyed Alya, here is a sizzle reel that a production company put together using footage shot by her and her parents and then added a voice over. It is being used to pitch to a cable network, along the lines of "Pawn Stars", "Ice Road Truckers", "Alaska Gold Rush", etc.
Three@Sea Sizzle Reel - YouTube
As to my ride, I don't think I have a profile picture, but that is it in my avatar. A bigger picture here........
Love the color. That must have been a lot of fun designing your own. Then, to actually go ahead and build it. That's very impressive.

I will post about my viewings. I looked at a 65' Hat up here in NE last week and I may look at another in Jersey this week, depending on the weather. We have a bunch of snow heading our way...BOOOO

I think I may take a trip to Fl. and look at that Keith Marine. That is the one at the top of my list at the moment, because of it's transatlantic ability. I wish that I could find more similar to this one in my price range.

I am also going to try and find a power cat up here, just to get a feel for them.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:26   #152

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yeah, my point being is GG seems to be implying that $13k for such a short voyage is some sort of "good value" when compared to the above vessel it is clear that it is not.
You win on recommendations. If those numbers are good, this was the best one I've seen. I'm not familiar with the engine, but looking at how tall it is, must have a pretty long stroke, so big torque numbers.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:27   #153

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
I'm impressed with both the price and low fuel consumption.
For Australia it is an almost unheard of price.

Quote:
No mention of the gear box ratio for a 152 hp to swing this monster.
This ad for her says
Quote:
6LXB GARDINER WITH 4.5 TO 1 NIGATA G/ BOX
Used Mclaren for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Old 21-01-2013, 15:35   #154

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
You win on recommendations. If those numbers are good, this was the best one I've seen. I'm not familiar with the engine, but looking at how tall it is, must have a pretty long stroke, so big torque numbers.
I wonder how many planks need replacing, or ribs sistered? If it's due for refastening the screws could cost up to $10K.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:39   #155
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
okay, so let me be sure that I have this correct. It's okay for others to insult me and be rude, but if I defend myself than that is pissy. Sorry, I was raised from a whole line of very strong women. I am going to defend myself, and give back exactly what I am given, and if that means that some choose not to offer helpful information than so be it, as we have seen others will. Treat people as you would like to be treated, even if you are able to hide behind your monitor.
I guess that is "strong" for thanks.........

.......anyway, I am sure you will get the answers you wanted . Folks usually do .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:44   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I wonder how many planks need replacing, or ribs sistered?
No Idea, but it does appear to be in very good condition and well maintained (I have looked)
Quote:
If it's due for refastening the screws could cost up to $10K.
Yeah and if its a solid glass boat it could be riddled with osmosis and if its steel it could be full of rust and these could cost considerably more to repair.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:50   #157

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
No Idea, but it does appear to be in very good condition and well maintained (I have looked)

Yeah and if its a solid glass boat it could be riddled with osmosis and if its steel it could be full of rust and these could cost considerably more to repair.
And that would be just fine in a rough sea, right?
I don't think GG wants a 30 YO boat to work on.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:55   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I loved it.

Showing my kids right now.

Whatever became of the show? Are they still trying to get it picked up? That would be fun to watch.
My guess would be the cable networks are waiting for more footage of passages made that 1,000's (like yourself in the not too distant future) haven't already done. As you know to date, their 20,000 nm has been ICW, canals, New England, Bahamas, and the only real passage about 1,000 nm across the Caribbean. This cruising has been done by many in power yachts. David has been still working, commuting back to land. Plans are to come up from Costa Rica to SoCal, then the PNW, and maybe up to Alaska. Scenery along BC is amazing and will be of interest to the cable networks. When they do their first ocean passage that too will be of interest.
Old 21-01-2013, 16:01   #159

Cat man do, that makes sense, 4.5 to 1. That is one serious prop. So those 1100 revs for 7 kts, the prop is only turning 244 rpm. Now that is real trawler prop speed.
Old 21-01-2013, 16:09   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
And that would be just fine in a rough sea, right?
Are you saying Mclaren trawlers cant handle the rough?
Quote:
I don't think GG wants a 30 YO boat to work on.
How do you know?
I dont think she will actually be doing any work on them anyway and if it has had a full rebuild which it pretty much has, and is well maintained, what does it matter?

I wasn't pushing this actual vessel anyway, it is a world away from her.

What I was pushing is the concept of a slow spinning economical diesel, a concept that seems unattainable in the US.
No one has posted one up yet .
Old 21-01-2013, 16:17   #161

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Displacement vs Semidisplacement vs Planing - Boat Design Forums
Not much here has been said about displacement vs. semi displacement vs. planing hulls. The displacement hull is much more economical and will handle weather better. A displacement hull will have a hull speed (top theoretical speed) of about 10 knots for a 65 foot trawler. I did some calculations on a 30 sailboat and found that if you went to half the hull speed, you will go three times further, so instead of 1000 miles you go 3000 miles with the same amount of fuel. Not sure what it would be on a Hats or Choey Lee, but I am sure somewhat comparable. I think you want a expedition trawler, sometimes know as a passage maker. These have displacement hulls. Use these as key words in a search engine for this type of trawler. About pollution:
Exhaust emissions from engines of the De... [Environ Sci Technol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
Pollution for a two-cycle Detroit 8V91 has 70% more particulates while nitrogen dioxide is somewhat lower. The Detroit 8V91 two-cycle engine is common in trawlers. The 8 means it has 8 cylinders, the V means it has a V cylinder arrangement, and the 91 means that if you turn the engine over one full turn, each cylinder will take in and push out 91 cubic inches of air. A 12V91 is of course 50% larger. There are also 8V71 that are common in trawlers and these engines are very durable. You will also find Cummins and Caterpillar diesel engines in trawlers. These are both good manufacturers although parts may be more expensive.
As for specific fuel consumption (look this word phrase up on the internet), a trucker's forum stated the 8V91 was as economical as any other mechanical fuel injected engine at revolutions per minute (RPM) of 1200 to 1550. One boating forum stated the 8V91 used 30% more fuel. If too much fuel is forced into these engines, they only last about 200 hours like in a Johnson trawler, however the usual life is about 2000 hours in a trawler. On some charter boats, 5000 hours can be reached before a valve job is needed and then get another 5000 hours before a complete rebuild. These Detroit two cycle engines should be cheaper to rebuild than modern common rail computer controlled diesels and parts are readily available. However, a modern computer controlled engine does have better specific fuel consumption. Call an automotive machine shop and ask them how much to rebuild a diesel engine for any boat you are thinking of buying. When you buy a boat, have a diesel mechanic check the engines for compression and oil analysis for metals indicating excessive wear. Even listening to the engine, looking at the oil for water, and noting the color of the exhaust can tell a mechanic a lot. Also get an assessment of the size of the fuel filters as most diesels quit from water contamination of the diesel.
I am also surprised no one has mentioned getting a marine surveyor to look at any boat you are serious about. Do NOT use one recommended by the yacht dealer. A marine surveyor can save you much money, as it is his job to do an unemotional assessment of anything that might be wrong with the boat. Marine surveyors will even have a marine surveyor look over a boat they are interested in just to keep them honest with themselves. When things are found wrong with the boat, you then have good bargaining points.
As for places to look for trawlers, see www.marinesource.com and www.boatquest.com
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 16:36   #162

Quote:

What I was pushing is the concept of a slow spinning economical diesel, a concept that seems unattainable in the US.
No one has posted one up yet .
Boy, you got that right. I checked the specs on this engine, and it was designed just for real trawlers, pure displacement boats.

Bore 4.75"
Stroke 6.00"
10.45 L

127 bhp @ 1500 rpm
150 bhp @ 1650 rpm

40% thermal efficiency if operated just below torque peak.

Could not find the amount of torque or at what rpm, but my guess would be something less than 1200 rpm, and maybe greater than 400 lb/ft.

A real trawler motor for sure.
Old 21-01-2013, 16:43   #163

Quote:
My guess would be the cable networks are waiting for more footage of passages made that 1,000's (like yourself in the not too distant future) haven't already done. As you know to date, their 20,000 nm has been ICW, canals, New England, Bahamas, and the only real passage about 1,000 nm across the Caribbean. This cruising has been done by many in power yachts. David has been still working, commuting back to land. Plans are to come up from Costa Rica to SoCal, then the PNW, and maybe up to Alaska. Scenery along BC is amazing and will be of interest to the cable networks. When they do their first ocean passage that too will be of interest.
I really can't thank you enough for sharing their journey with me. I have also showed it to my mom. We have both started reading from the beginning, starting with Kathryn's blog. I love that they documented everything from the start. The moment the seed was planted and what they did next.

I have had a love for the sea since I was young. I was obsessed with houseboats for a long time, but thought that living in NE I was prohibited by the weather. As I mentioned earlier I bought a home directly on the water, but it still didn't feel close enough. My mom actually lived on a very tiny boat in St. John for 6 months. When she came back to the States all that she talked about was wanting her own boat to live on. At that time, my kids were still very young and I was heavily involved in my career. As a few years passed and I began to think more of traveling, that's when I suddenly woke up one day realizing that this is what I would do.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 16:48   #164

Quote:

Could not find the amount of torque or at what rpm, but my guess would be something less than 1200 rpm, and maybe greater than 400 lb/ft.

A real trawler motor for sure.
These are the engines as used in Londons double decker bus.
Quote:
ENGINE
Make And Type: Gardner 6LXB 10.45- Litre (Rolls-Royce Eagle Alternative)
Power Rating: 127 kW (170bhp) @ 1850 rev/min (Or Up To 135 kW/180bhp)
Torque Output: 762 Nm (562lbf ft) @ 1000 rev/min
Under The Bonnet - The MCW Metrobus Website
Old 21-01-2013, 16:52   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

GG Congrats on sticking to your dreams. I too always wanted to live and sail on a boat and I now have mine own, if a little more modest. Everyone here started out never having been on a boat. So you keep at it.

Once you have a few boats in mind, please do consider a marine surveyor checking the boat over prior to you giving ernest money. Normally, the surveyor is hired after the contract, but for a big boat it might be good idea to do it before. Also a diesel mechanic to check the engines and generators. It will be money well spent.

BTW there really is no relationship between price and actual condition of a boat. It is really all over the place. Also avoid Wood boats as that is a project that truly never ends. That even applies to wood decks. Well I love the look of teak decks, cap rails, etc. it is a maintenance job to keep looking good. I have lots of wood on my top sides and its lovely when freshly varnished, but that's at least a two times a year job.

BTW as far as ocean range goes, you could go with a lower range vessel and use dockwise or another carrier to get the boat to the med if need be. Just an option.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle