Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 09:19   #1

Carver... Good? Bad?

I'm doing some research on powerboats and the Carver Yachts brand keeps popping up. Does anyone know about build quality?

I'm also looking at some Offshore Yacht boats... mostly the 54. I like the 1000 gallon of fuel -- so extended anchoring shouldn't be an issue (with 1000 gallons).

Any thoughts about Carver?
Old 28-07-2020, 09:28   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Carver... Good? Bad?

You might try asking the same question on the sister site to this one with the focus on trawlers: "Trawlerforum"
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:39   #3

We've owned a Carver 3207 on Great lakes. Perfect for lakes. What I don't like about them for offshore is that foredeck is flush with gunnels. You or a pen or handheld radio, etc., could easily fall overboard. My 5' nothing, 100lb wife hated going to bow when dropping anchor, even though we had a windlass to do the heavy lifting. Still need someone on bow for releasing and securing chain/rode. Depending on design, also not the best heavy seas type of boat.

Interior comforts on newer ones are as good as most and great value. Not the heaviest or toughest build (not Viking or Nordhavn or Hatteras etc.) but okay.

I would say, it depends on how far away from civilization you plan on being. Fair weather sailing only? All weather? How important are redundant systems to you? Ours had everything, but no redundancy, except 2 main engines. Newer and larger carvers will have 2 mains, 2 gennies, 2 water pumps, 2 or more heads, etc. so redundancies better. Few of then have stabilizers.

So, we found the quality much better than say Bayliner or Prowler, a little less than SeaRay but not as robust as the other ones mentioned above. It always depends. Are you looking at new or used? With your given budget, what are the most critical factors of: overall size, capacity; creature comforts, speed, interior age/quality. Are you staying away from rebuilds or project boats or not? Some items are not too difficult to change/upgrade. It's only time and money, right?

Personally, for our retirement to PNW, we likely won't get a Carver again. We're looking for something a bit more robust this "last" time.

Now, before all you Carver lovers out there send me hate mail, I will say that I've always loved Carvers. Their interiors and layouts are some of the best. The build quality has always gotten better each year and the new ones look and feel fabulous. For the Great Lakes and maybe near shore ocean cruising, I think they're more than adequate and better than a lot of stuff out there.

Deep, rough water cruising, lots on anchoring or foredeck duties, you may wish to reconsider.

@mikereed100? I don't think you have enough cookies to get me over to the dark side.
OwenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 05:07   #4

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
I'm doing some research on powerboats and the Carver Yachts brand keeps popping up. Does anyone know about build quality?

Any thoughts about Carver?

I'd say it's a very solid Chevy. Or Ford. Et cetera.

-Chris