Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 06:04   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 895
Carrabelle to Steinhatchiee

Plan on crossing from Carrabelle to Stenihatchie in a 30 ft Jeanneau 895 mid-late Feb. Any suggestion on how to link up with other boaters to make the crossing in a group? likely cruising in the low 20's speed.
Dhill38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:21   #2

Boat: Watkins 29
Re: Carrabelle to Steinhatchiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill38 View Post
Plan on crossing from Carrabelle to Stenihatchie in a 30 ft Jeanneau 895 mid-late Feb. Any suggestion on how to link up with other boaters to make the crossing in a group? likely cruising in the low 20's speed.

Wait for a weather window with calm seas and go for it.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:26   #3

I may just do that, just always nice to have some company on the open water. Should only take about 3.5 hours. I'm using lots of sources for weather research, but I do like Marv's Weather. He gives easy to decode wx details.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:28   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Finding others that are doing the crossing and can run that fast may be a bit tough. Many of the Great Loop crowd are in slower boats, so not many of them could keep up with you even if they wanted.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Finding others that are doing the crossing and can run that fast may be a bit tough. Many of the Great Loop crowd are in slower boats, so not many of them could keep up with you even if they wanted.

Yup.

You will find boats "piling up" in Aplach and Carabelle waiting for a reasonable weather window to cross. As to speed and destination-- have to ask.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:44   #6

Quote:
I may just do that, just always nice to have some company on the open water. Should only take about 3.5 hours. I'm using lots of sources for weather research, but I do like Marv's Weather. He gives easy to decode wx details.
I did it from Tampa all the way to Carribelle in a 40 foot sport fish wtih bad engines back when there was no GPS.. all we had was a direction finding radio.
Florida is a big state. Head southeast and you cant miss the West Coast of Florida. Saying that as a joke, but its true.. Its not like youre trying to find a tiny island in the ocean.

As long as the waves arent stacked up and steep with decent period between them, youll do just fine. Youre never very far from land and help.

Your biggest concern will be navigating the inlets on the west coast of Florida. They can be narrow and shallow on both sides.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:08   #7

Quote:

An old wise sailor once told me that the water is just as wet 2 miles offshore as it is 20 miles off shore..

If youve got 2 engines, and plenty of gas, then you only have to worry about the size of the waves.

I just checked and today youre looking at 4ft waves wtih 1 second period. Thats going to be uncomfortable.

Forecast says tomorrow the seas should lay down to less than 2 feet. Is that whats reported locally?

If so, Id go for it. Youve got a seaworthy boat.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:55   #8

Thanks...yeah, I think I'll just head on down to Carrabelle (or Apalachicola) and see the folks there. Have seen some of the videos of slower boats leaving at 0 dark thirty so may even link up with them and leave a couple hours later and still have other boats out there.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:16   #9

Are you particularly interested in visiting Steinhatchiee or is it just a WP as you head south?
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:23   #10

Really just a WP south. I ran the numbers and I could go from Carrabelle to Crystal River if the seas were favorable.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:01   #11

Quote:
Really just a WP south. I ran the numbers and I could go from Carrabelle to Crystal River if the seas were favorable.
This time of year, Crystal River is full of Manatees..They congregate there to escape cold weather. Water temperature is around 72 degrees year round.
Ive never been to Steinhatchee, but I know theres a lot of facilities, hotels and restaurants in Cryistal River.

When my kid and her cousins were young, we used to go there quite often from Tampa and rent a john boat and swim with the manatees.
Old 25-02-2023, 05:58   #12

Boat: Cargile Cutter

Belay this. Cannot delete.
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 06:02   #13

We ended up going straight to Crystal River. Quite a haul but enjoyed a couple day at Crystal River.

Tags
Carrabelle, hatch