Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 18:54   #1
smo

Carolina skiff bahama cruise

Several years ago I read an article about a guy who was a relative of the carolina skiff owner who took a 24 footer added a cuddy over the forward 10 feet and a Bimini over the remainder and a 40 hp motor and took it to the bahamas for the winter living aboard.
Later a race up the us east coast came up and the guy added a 2nd 40 hp motor and extra fuel tanks. He hoped to race offshore with only 1 fuel stop and beat the larger more expensive boats. The weather for the race was too rough so all the boats raced up the intracoastal.
I am trying to find photos of this boat and possibly more info as I am thinking of setting up a boat for a surf tour up the intracoastal.

Any info on this boat would be appreciated
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47   #2

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler
Re: Carolina skiff bahama cruise

I have spent some time on my neighbor's 24 CS and it can be a very comfortable boat in a chop. I guess the length helps. I know that he routinely takes it on 40 mile trips here in SW Fla.
And I have seen jetskis on their way to Bimini before! Actually the last time we came back from Bimini, you could have waterskied all the way it was so flat.
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 13:23   #3

Smo ,
Have ya looked at a C-Dory ? A 24 foot boat that many people have made month or even year long trips with . Google C-DORY and take a look !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:02   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

If you want a seaworthy, simple, and cleverly designed to be functional cruiser for 1-2 people (or occasionally three), the C-Dory 22 is hard to beat. We did summer in SE Alaska on ours. It's so lightweight a medium SUV can easily tow it. Super-economical to own and operate.

The 25 Cruiser looks similar, but is considerably heavier, and requires a substantial tow vehicle. There are also 23 and 26-foot models, and a 25 foot cat model if you're looking for more speed.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:29   #5
cruiser

You don't need to build a cuddy cabin, you just need a Bimini top and maybe add curtains...

People take little sunfishes to Bimini Bahamas..my 17 foot oceans racing sailboat would've been a dream during a nice weather window...it's all about the weather..

There are all kinds of people loving in the 13 foot skiffs around the keys, more common than I thought until I found out a friend sized down to living on his. He tented on islands (bugs are fierce)

We just had another clown make it across florida straits in a stolen boat...

Cops: Man steals boat in Keys and lands in Cuba | Miami Herald

Back story on this guy turns out he was on house arrest in Ohio, cut off his ankle bracelet and fled to the keys where he stormed Murray marine in middle of the night and stole someone's 13 whaler and drove it 90 miles to Cuba in the dark. Surprised the coasties did t intercept him???
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise