Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 17:24   #1

Boat: Chris-Craft 328
Carbon Monoxide Detector Going Off

Over the last two visits to our Chris Craft 328 the CO detector woke us up. No propane, gas, or water heater functioning on the boat. The only thing operating is the marine (Webasto) HVAC unit. No other boat in slips near was running. It is weird, but it is also scary. Don't want to wake up dead ya know. Any idea whats causing the problem?

Thanks Ya'll!
HeadingUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector Going Off

How old is it, they do have a use by date. Not sure but maybe 5 years?
Something wears out, gets neutralized or something, no idea what though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:27   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I installed a carbon monoxide detector and, new, it went off at 3 am twice a week. I tossed it.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:41   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Our CO detectors will go off if we close the boat up on a really hot day (usually off to the beach). We will come back to one or both going off. There is no way its CO as everything is turned off on the boat and all the hatches are closed. Nothing could produce the CO.

We have had someone tell us that the CO detectors do have certain chemicals that can trigger a false positive. Even things like paint offgassing can set them off.

We have also been told that offgassing of FLA batteries will cause an alarm. I have not verified that fact, but I assume its correct. So if you are plugged into the dock and have given your batteries a cycle (loaded the fridge, freezer and are using fans/lights), then it could be the batteries offgassing as they charge.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 19:57   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
We have also been told that offgassing of FLA batteries will cause an alarm. I have not verified that fact, but I assume its correct. So if you are plugged into the dock and have given your batteries a cycle (loaded the fridge, freezer and are using fans/lights), then it could be the batteries offgassing as they charge.

Yes... the are sensitive to hydrogen gas.

https://goodforgas.com/why-is-hydrog...or-co-sensors/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:31   #6

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

Battery going bad.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:37   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

[QUOTE=HeadingUnknown;2654815] Over the last two visits to our Chris Craft 328 the CO detector woke us up. No propane, gas, or water heater functioning on the boat. The only thing operating is the marine (Webasto) HVAC unit. No other boat in slips near was running. It is weird, but it is also scary. Don't want to wake up dead ya know. Any idea whats causing the problem?

Thanks Ya'll![/QUOTE

Is your CO detector specifically designed for marine use? I've read that (less expensive) standard household detectors tend to be too sensitive for marine environments, and give a lot of false alarms.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:28   #8

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

Our new one went off after about 3 months. It was in the middle of the day and only 1 of 3 went off. My husband “unplugged” it(there’s a little tab that pulls out of the connectors inside and then he replugged it back. No problem since. Figure it needed a reset.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 10:10   #9

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago and could not find the problem. Then when away from the boat shopping one of the batteries failed, got extremely hot, making a smell of burnt rubber. Fortunately we got back and discovered it soon - we could smell it from along the pontoon.
Since then we have heard others say that a battery about to fail can give off a gas which CO monitors detect.
Check your batteries!
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 11:05   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We had a CO detector that sounded when its battery was low; the fix was replacing the battery. (Actually, I think it was low voltage on the boat batteries, and the fix was just charging those... but it was a long time ago, can't remember exactly...)

Battery off-gassing, as from over-charging the boat battery banks, can cause a CO detector to sound.

CO detectors have a shelf life; some models may sound when they reach end-of-life (but that's just a guess).

And then... there's the possibility of CO being present.
Old 19-06-2018, 13:23   #11

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I shared your experience last year. Contacted the company that manufactured the product. Was told the product had a five-year life and needed replacement. Ordered a new one... no more problem.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:06   #12

Boat: Spacesailer 24

New detector in closed up trailer boat parked on the street. Drove the neighbours crazy until they banged on my door to tell me. Looks like other gasses can send it off as well. Now I only connect the battery when I am on the boat.
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 19:42   #13

Boat: Corbin 39

Possibly

After five years co detector will alarm at first several days before next alarm But time between alarms continues to shorten until you read online manual for model. **** time to replace with new co-detector.
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 20:11   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd also call the maker. They may tell you to send them back, or just send new ones under warranty. Or they may have an answer for certain about battery charging or other environmental issues. Almost certainly a free phone call.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 05:11   #15

Boat: Hunter 41

We found that some CO detectors can be very sensitive to even very slight trace amounts of Freon.
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote