Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 06:43   #1

Boat: Carver 404 MY
Can't Figure This Out

Hi folks, I own a 1999 Carver 404 CMY. When i returned after an extended break I found the battery charge dead and had no DC power. The charger had been on its way out for some time and so I began to turn it off when I was away for typically ten days or less...this time I was away for two months.

Upon return I replaced the 60 AMP charger with a Kisae 60A charger I bought from our local West Marine.

After charging the system for 24 hours, there is still no battery power.

I'm being told that the batteries may be dead beyond recharging and that all 3 need to be replaced.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

In The Dark!
Navigator2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 06:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Can't Figure This Out

Hypothesis: Some small user of electricity has completely drained your batteries.

If you have an automatic charger and a totally dead battery, the charger will not come on because it doesn't believe that there is a battery there. Many chargers won't start up with less than 6 volts in the battery. I suggest that you get hold of a cheap $29 MANUAL charger, and give the batteries a jolt, then try the automatic charger.

One battery manufacturer on this forum commented that batteries that go below 6 volts are trashed anyway and need to be replaced. That does not conform to my experience, but once you get them charger up, do test them for capacity.

The problem I thinkyou have run into used to drive me to distraction, particularly with small motorcycle batteries.