Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 17:18   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Build a Boat for The Great Loop?

Oh my! Naysayers abound!

Firstly the idea of the folding bows was born more of the desire for a smaller footprint in locks, seawalls, and slips; the expense factor (as in $/foot/night) was entirely a secondary benefit.

As to the "not needed for rough water as you will be inside" group, I'll bet you've never traveled up the East coast.... I have, and I have had my ass handed to me in fairly large boats.

Thirdly, the entire concept was hatched on a bar napkin as a fun project that a couple rich retired guys could piss away their time and money having fun with a build.... If you don't like the idea butt out and go read another thread! I don't mind constructive criticism, Hell, I even asked for it, but if you think that just because it doesn't tickle YOUR idea of a good boat, we are irrational or foolish, your input is just divisive... save it for someone who cares about your sheepskin on the wall, as we really don't.

Lastly, for those who have offered CONSTRUCTIVE input, I thank you! This project may never get off the napkin, or it may wind up being a great boat. It may even go to the scrapyard after the first voyage. Honestly the buddy who started the idea is probably more interested in the build than the loop. He and I have done projects in the past and had a great time doing it.
Old 23-05-2013, 17:21   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
By the way, Fast Cat II was built by Gold Coast Yachts--see the picture at the bottom of the page at this link: Gold Coast Yachts Custom Boat Builder ? Power Catamarans.

And here is a one-page brochure: http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/Comme...P-features.pdf

Eric
Thanks! I guess that proves you can't always believe what you hear in a Key West bar! I had three guys tell me Sonny designed and built those boats on Stock Island.
Old 23-05-2013, 17:29   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Why would you really want those wave piercing hull shapes for a great-loop boat that will spend the great majority of its time in rivers, canals, lakes? It would be a much easier build to not include them.

I've got a few other ideas for you, but first let me look thru this subject thread (just started)
Let's not forget that the boat will return to Key West and then make a living there after doing the loop.
Old 23-05-2013, 17:37   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pictures of EcoCat built here in KW by Rick Keith. The boat in the pix was commissioned by a friend who single hands it all over skinny water areas around here. I like the concept of this boat, but it lacks the ability to handle anything much over 2' seas (I've been on it in a 3' chop and it was shipping water into the house). The project in the OP was to provide the most living space in a seaworthy, economical powerboat for the Great Loop.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:05   #50

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Oh my! Naysayers abound!

Firstly the idea of the folding bows was born more of the desire for a smaller footprint in locks, seawalls, and slips; the expense factor (as in $/foot/night) was entirely a secondary benefit.

As to the "not needed for rough water as you will be inside" group, I'll bet you've never traveled up the East coast.... I have, and I have had my ass handed to me in fairly large boats.

Thirdly, the entire concept was hatched on a bar napkin as a fun project that a couple rich retired guys could piss away their time and money having fun with a build.... If you don't like the idea butt out and go read another thread! I don't mind constructive criticism, Hell, I even asked for it, but if you think that just because it doesn't tickle YOUR idea of a good boat, we are irrational or foolish, your input is just divisive... save it for someone who cares about your sheepskin on the wall, as we really don't.

Lastly, for those who have offered CONSTRUCTIVE input, I thank you! This project may never get off the napkin, or it may wind up being a great boat. It may even go to the scrapyard after the first voyage. Honestly the buddy who started the idea is probably more interested in the build than the loop. He and I have done projects in the past and had a great time doing it.
Old 24-05-2013, 00:55   #51
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Instead of the bows folding have them slide in themselves. The front of the bow is held by the hull as a sleeve. Press a button and a hydraulic ram pulls the bow in.

Since the two parts of the hull are sleeves you are not putting point loads on hinges.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 00:59   #52
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Add some gaskets in series to prevent water ingress during transition and two mating surfaces for fully in and fully extended and she is water tight. Add some HDPE runners to make it slide easily and thats about it.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 03:30   #53

The inevitable hull deformation and drainage issues make this idea impractical.
Interesting idea tho. Perhaps a telescoping middle section that disappears into both bow and stern sections which minimizes the drainage issue and allows for overlapping structural member to compensate for weakness of a multi sectional hull and eliminate the "hinges" etc on a articulating bow section which imho is a fail.Your cabin design would have to be center cockpit with a canvas top I would think.Good luck with project.
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 04:10   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the telescoping hull, wouldn't there be a great loss of buoyancy? The beauty part of horizontal folding hulls is there is no loss of buoyancy; displacement never changes.

Another thought with telescoping is that it would be like 10x more trouble than the hinge everyone says cant be built!
Old 24-05-2013, 04:14   #55

Loss of buoyancy? from what? Oh the folding hulls can be built but they will not last long.
Anyway 30 years of manufacturing engineering here.Good luck
Old 24-05-2013, 04:26   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

ANYTHING can be built, it may just be a waste of time like some CF threads.
Old 24-05-2013, 04:27   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Loss of buoyancy? from what? Oh the folding hulls can be built but they will not last long.
Anyway 30 years of manufacturing engineering here.Good luck
Loss from the reduced volume when telescoping hulls retract!
Old 24-05-2013, 04:31   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So if the idea of folding is so impractical and will not last, tell me how all these sectional barges are still floating, or how do 30 year old Army bridge erection boats still remain functional?

I'm not treading new ground here, just adapting it to suit our needs!

Old 24-05-2013, 05:32   #59

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I would reiterate there is a need to keep bridge clearance below 15 feet if you want to be able to go everywhere--can be a bit higher if you select your route carefully. There are lots of side-to ties in the New York State canal portion, so beam is not usually an issue until you start using private marinas. One thing I've wondered about those wave piercers is where do you put the anchoring gear and how do you handle it?
Old 24-05-2013, 05:50   #60

Look I went to school for years for this stuff. A free degree on a CF thread I cannot give you.But if you build your little craft out of 1/2 steel plate what do think will happen? Multihulls must be light.Carbon fiber is very expensive as is aluminum to a degree and building and installing the stringer system needed for CF or aluminum would entail more than a few man hours.How you ask these questions tells me that your over your head.You ask for input and I gave it. Don't shoot the messenger.There is a reason the amas on tri's are shorter than the main hulls.I won't tell you why but leave it to you to go to the library and read about it for yourself. I don't want an internet argument. I am here to pick up some info on my soon to start cruising phase of my life so I have given you the input you have asked for and I will leave this discussion right here for now and wish you good luck and enjoyment on your project.Peace