Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 14:20   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat type advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpr View Post
Hi:

I'd love to do what you plan on doing, but I have a few cautionary suggestions and comments.

First, all boats, sail or power, are designed and built for a particular use. I think everyone on this forum will agree that no boat can do everything. If it were otherwise, only one brand of boat would exist in the marketplace.

CLIP....
Richard,
I appreciate your first post in the forum and how you wrote it and the breadth. It contained several very good points and solid advice.

Sincerely.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 14:32   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Boat Type Advice

There is a formula for fuel consumption per HP used for a Diesel, and it is surprisingly close, even the turbo motors that you would think would burn less fuel per hp, don't burn much less.
I believe though once you get to bigger motors, this formula changes, I think the bigger motors are a little more efficient.

No, in my opinion for the budget posted, gonna be hard to beat a sailboat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 14:44   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Boat type advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Richard,
I appreciate your first post in the forum and how you wrote it and the breadth. It contained several very good points and solid advice.

Sincerely.
I quite agree with this! I was just about to post a similar thought...

So RichardPR, welcome to CF! IT was an excellent post, and I look forward to further contributions from you.

Jim
Old 07-12-2014, 16:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello Essej.

I have been wondering some of the same questions regarding boat types to use for cruising the east coast and a bit further.

I got good advice here on this forum and read many of the topics in the archive. There is a LOT of opinion and much wisdom here.

I recently did some calculations on fuel cost and posted a new topic tonight that you might find interesting for costing.

One thing, I also considered faster boats (older motor yachts). But, the cost of running and maintaining them (fuel, maintenance, etc.) was prohibitive for me. I am leaning towards a sailboat, with a power yacht in the distant future.

Time & Fuel Cost for ICW Cruise Maine to Key West - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 16:43   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essej4269 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am looking in the used 30-50k range, there are to many choices!!
I think, in the end, you will find most of those choices not choices you would choose after all.

I have been in anchorages protected quite well and the trawlers had "flopper stoppers" deployed even then. I thought for a while maybe a trawler would be the thing for the East coast migration thing. Nope. I hate sitting still and rolling. Hate it. That is just me though I guess.

I have seen several mast-less mono-hulls that were being used as trawlers. Not as much space for length but much more seaworthy IMO.

Me. I love to sail though it is the most expensive way to go third class. But when the engine is off and the sound is gone....................priceless (as they say)

But I am a cat guy too. I like cats no matter what type of boat. The last one we saw was the big Endeavour. Made close by in Clearwater. I even met the owner (of Endeavour). OHHH.....YEA! But like a64pilot, I want some moola left over for "later in life".

Oh the decisions.

Best of luck with yours.