Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 13:44   #1

Boat prices

So clearly Covid has pumped up the price of boats right now. Any guesses as to how long this will stay inflated? Will this be the new norm? Looking to buy in 2-5 years and just starting search now. Hoping pricing will come back a little by then.

Educated thoughts?
trainerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:48   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Boat prices

Covid - 19 and increased hurricanes. Every 'cane across the coast destroys another batch of good old boats that are not being replaced. Fewer boats = increased price.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

A lot can happen in 2 to 5 years.
If you were wondering whether to buy today or stall for a year, I would expect Covid impacts to be a significant factor. But 2 to 5 years out, I would do my financial planning at today's prices, and review those plans and prices intermittently until the "money I have" line crosses the "money I need" line. By then, Covid boat price inflation could subside or maybe a new global crisis could cause a surge in boat buying or a surge in panic selling. Or as Phantom Jim said, more storms could wipe out more inventory.

P.S.: Welcome to the forum!
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 14:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I take a contrary view....I think the used sailboat market is glutted with boats as of this time. Many boats, few buyers. I see prices being slashed.

This Covid thing has really put the kibosh on things.
I use my local marina as an example...my guess it's maybe 30% full, and of the that 30%, only a few are sailboats.
Slip prices are jacked way up is another reason. Your average 40' sailboat will be a $750/monthly tab...throw in electricity and insurance and you're looking at a $1,000 monthly tab..if you're making boat payments....double that...

Check out "Yachtworld"...they have 1,000's of listings....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 14:57   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I take a contrary view....I think the used sailboat market is glutted with boats as of this time. Many boats, few buyers. I see prices being slashed.

I use my local marina as an example...my guess it's maybe 30% full, and of the that 30%, only a few are sailboats.
Slip prices are jacked way up is another reason. Your average 40' sailboat will be a $750/monthly tab...throw in electricity and insurance and you're looking at a $1,000 monthly tab..if you're making boat payments....double that...

Well that’s not what’s happening around me

Holiday homes , RVS and boats are buoyant , demand is very high, prices are rising and good 2nd hand stocks are dwindling

Brokers around me have never been as busy
Old 21-07-2021, 15:14   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well that’s not what’s happening around me

Holiday homes , RVS and boats are buoyant , demand is very high, prices are rising and good 2nd hand stocks are dwindling

Brokers around me have never been as busy
Definitely the same as I've seen. Boats, RVs, runabouts, recreational properties, etc. have all gone way up. Even normal real estate. It's all due to the Covid effect.

My assessment is that a lot of these Covid purchases will come back on the market once the world gets beyond the pandemic. I'd wait till 2022/23 before making any major purchase. I bet prices for used boats/RVs etc. will come back down by then -- assuming the pandemic continues to decline.
Old 21-07-2021, 15:19   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Definitely the same as I've seen. Boats, RVs, runabouts, recreational properties, etc. have all gone way up. Even normal real estate. It's all due to the Covid effect.

My assessment is that a lot of these Covid purchases will come back on the market once the world gets beyond the pandemic. I'd wait till 2022/23 before making any major purchase. I bet prices for used boats/RVs etc. will come back down by then -- assuming the pandemic continues to decline.

I agree , 2-3 years in my view will see these purchases reappear on the market , I certainly think expecting it to happen next year is wishful thinking

The rise in sales is precisely because people have some confidence lockdowns are over and international travel is possible.
Old 21-07-2021, 15:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

When the Covid thing first sprang up...now some 18 months distant....there was a run on fishing boats...we have a Marine Max dealer nearby and they couldn't keep a boat on the shelf...people thought...hey, if we have to isolate, might as well get a boat...sailboats sales were pretty much non-existent, due to Covid closures, etc...B'mas...Caribbean.

But people quickly got to know that outboard engines suck gas, and it didn't take long to see " for sales" sign on practically any driveway that had a boat parked there, this got a boost when gas prices shot up to near $3.....$4.76 at the marina for non-ethanol...figure your basic 300 hp engine will suck 15 gal/hour at cruise....

I used to see dozens and dozens of sailboats chugging down the ICW headed for the B'mas. Now it's a rare event.

I'm talking NE Florida/S.Georgia.

We have several marina's around here, it's rare to see a transient boat at the fuel sock.

That's my take...
Old 21-07-2021, 15:49   #9

I'll also add a rather grim but true perspective.

We ALL have a sell-by date and... well... a lot of those boats have been/are being bought by retiring baby boomers.

Depending on where they fall on their arc of life, those boats will be available again - as part of estate sales.

Fair winds and safe harbour, All,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 06:33   #10
Marine Service Provider

Littlewing,

You are correct. I am actually searching for my 4th (and last boat).

To this end I'm prowling marina's within 150 miles of me, as well as looking online. I have about a half dozen sites I frequent. I see the same boats over and over again, many with " price slashed..reduced, etc"

A good friend of mine just returned from an extended trip to the B'mas. He tells me there is a noticeable reduction in the number of boats he sees.

It may not be the same everywhere, but the sailboat activity in Florida, seems, to my eye, to be rather scant.

Boat prices remain more or less steady, but if you really want to sell your boat, a price reduction is required to motivate a buyer.

I have my eye on a select few. I'm waiting to see if hurricane season may prompt a " price reduction". These boats appear to have been on the market since the first of the year if not longer.

That's my take.
Old 22-07-2021, 08:49   #11

Thanks for all the answers everyone! I will keep searching and doing my research for what I want and hopefully when I am ready to pull the trigger, prices have come down a little from the Covid High. I am definitely seeing inflated prices around me.
trainerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:19   #12

OP, Definitely do not stop searching just to arbitrarily wait a year for Covid-surcharges to disappear. Sellers' motivation to sell is often affected by health, financial or personal reasons and you jump on a new listing quick enough, give a low ball offer, you can still get an awesome value. Matter of example, I bought a nice outboard fishing boat earlier this year for a fantastic price. Just finishing my renovations, but easily have 30% profit built into it if I were to sell this year.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:29   #13

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdude View Post
So clearly Covid has pumped up the price of boats right now. Any guesses as to how long this will stay inflated? Will this be the new norm? Looking to buy in 2-5 years and just starting search now. Hoping pricing will come back a little by then. Educated thoughts?
That is not what I have seen in the used boat market having purchased one 9 months ago. The new boat market might be different if it is anything like the rv and truck market. In 2 - 5 years there will still be boats on the market for sale and at good prices.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I absolutely don't see this and YAchtworld is a semi-universal source that we can all look too. Narrow down your search to a specific make and model. Pick a popular model, like a Searay on the East Coast of the US. Where you used to find pages, you're now lucky to find 5.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:40   #15

Frankly, the prices of everything are up.

Partially due to covid/supply, and partially due to the government printing and distributing money. Demand for goods is higher than supply. People are sitting on that money they didn't spend last year.

It's safe to expect some inflation. Plan on the prices you're seeing, and be happily surprised if you can afford the boat you want.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, price