Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 07:04   #31

Boat: Bluewater 55
Re: Bluewater Yachts

I have a question about the bielge blowers on my 1989 55ft Bluewater gas burner genny and engines. Should we run the blowers when underway. Also should we run the genny blowers at anchor with genny running. My genny blowers exuast bielge blower air from both port an star side. The genny engine exaust come out mid ship 2 inches above water line on port side. Im not sure which side the blower should exuast the air on. Id like to know how the blowers came from the factory. It has 2 blowers in genny compartment. Thanks Bdarcher
BDARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:33   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Bd,

On a gass boat you should always have the blowers on. From prestart to at least until the engine is off. If you have a gas generator, then yes they need to stay on the whole time they are running. For a diesel you don't have to, but it is good practice, the fan helps cool the engine and deliver fresh air, as well as keep the engines from heating up the salon.

On ours (diesel) we keep the fans going from slip to slip, unless we turn off both engines and the gen set.

I am sorry I missed your post about replacing fuel tanks. We had to replace ours a couple of years ago, and it was a huge job. I can track down the process if you still need help with it, but basically they disassembled the cabin to pull the old one out, installed a new custom tank we bought from a tank fab shop here, and then reinstalled the interior

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:40   #33

Boat: 1982 47' Bluewater coastal cruiser

Hi....brand new here.
I realize this is an older thread but my husband and I just bought an old 1982 Bluewater 47'. We haven't actually taken possession of it yet and won't for a few more weeks but I've been scouring the net for info on this make and model.
Not too much out there.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 13:04   #34

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Hi....brand new here.
I realize this is an older thread but my husband and I just bought an old 1982 Bluewater 47'. We haven't actually taken possession of it yet and won't for a few more weeks but I've been scouring the net for info on this make and model.
Not too much out there.
Hi there!
YEs, factory went out business and it's hard to get first hand data for this boats.
I have a 45 (liveaboard) and actually in the process to change floors. Let me know if you need some information.
Best regard
Old 01-05-2016, 14:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
Hi there!
YEs, factory went out business and it's hard to get first hand data for this boats.
I have a 45 (liveaboard) and actually in the process to change floors. Let me know if you need some information.
Best regard
Thanks! The people we're buying the boat from live on it full time and he's done a beautiful job on updating the interior and refinishing all the teak.
When we started looking, this was not at all the kind of boat we were thinking we wanted. But when we saw it, we really just fell in love.
We are excited and can't wait to get our hands on it!
My husband had to travel to Singapore for work for a couple of weeks..hence the delay. Should be ours May 16th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	123536  
Old 01-05-2016, 14:40   #36

Am I only allowed to upload one picture at a time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	123537  
Old 05-09-2016, 19:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
Hi,

I just saw this thread and was compelled to reply...

I have had a Bluewater 58 in the Great Lakes for 7 years now and it is a GREAT BOAT.

I have had it in 6 to 8 foot choppy conditions on Lake Huron, (which is not rolling waves in the ocean but quite rough) and although it was certainly not comfortable on the beam it was quite fine at angle on the bow, so we just tacked to destination. We had white water go over the bow a few times but no big deal, the boat handled it fine.

We always run from the fly bridge, what is called a lower helm really isn't and is a waste of money for the manufacturer to put that on as an option, it is ok to start the engines and switch all the necessary power circuits but I know of no one that owns a Bluewater that actually cruises from that lower helm.

Many comments are made about the low freeboard of a Bluewater, and some say it is only 2 feet, and most of these comments are from people who have been talking to Carver salespeople... or never been on one or did not know how to handle the boat.

The freeboard is 53 inches and rises to 71 inches on full plane with a sharp entry and flared bow and 7 inch reverse chines, providing even more lift in bigger water.

I have factory DVD's of sea trials in 12 foot seas on lake Superior and the boat handles it.

We truly enjoy the river and canal cruising experience much more than open water where there is nothing to see other than water so for us and our type of cruising, it is the best boat and although I would exercise caution, I would have no problem along the coast...

The OP is absolutely correct in that caution is required and when you are in shallow waters, 10 foot bows are not required. For the type of cruising we do, buying a Marlow or Norhavn for big water would be like buying an M1 tank to go rabbit hunting.

One comment I would make relative to the trip on the west coast is that gas engines do not put out the power of diesels in bigger water, but are fine for river cruising.

The boat requires a good safety minded captain, but, I have been on a 65 foot Carver in such seas and in my opinion, there are not too many boats that are comfortable in 8 to 10 foot seas, unless they are 150 footers.

I took mine from Charleston to the Hudson river in the ocean and then on to Windsor, Ontario in the canals and great lakes, and there was only one day that we stayed in due to weather and on that day even the local fishing fleet was not going out. the rest of the time we were fine.

I am not trying to say that it is a big water boat, it is not, but it is certainly fine in coastal waters 20-30 miles from shore, it offers ample living quarters and more entertainment area for its size compared to most other boats. We have entertained 24 people at one time on the upper deck alone, and diesel fuel usage ranges from 2mpg at 7 mph to 2gpm at 20 mph. (4gph to 40gph) 10 times the fuel for three times the speed... which is quite normal for a boat this size at that speed.

Hi RaySea

Kind of digging up an old post here, but I have been trying to find some information on blue water yachts. I am in love with the unique design of the blue water boats. There are mixed reviews on here about the quality and seaworthiness of the vessels. We boat out of Holland, Mi and are looking for larger boat to cruise around. We mainly go on short cruises and hang out on the beaches. We occasionally do a cruise to Chicago, or Milwaukee, Ludington, etc.. We currently do it on a Searay Express cruiser, but are looking for something more comfortable.

Would you be willing to share some of your experiences on your bluewater? Obviously these are not real common around here and just curious why. I can understand the styling isn't for everyone, but is it appropriate for the conditions we have? While I would like to increase the number of boatable days we can enjoy, I am not looking for something that can handle 6 footers either. Do you think the 52 would be just as capable? Any input or advise you can provide would be sincerely appreciated.
larkinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:09   #38

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52

Hi Larkinja,

You are correct that it is an old post. not sure what more i can tell you than what was in the original post.

I still have my 58 Bluewater situated in the Great Lakes in Windsor Ontario. it is stored in a heated warehouse in Detroit for the winter months.

It is now going on ten years that we have had the boat and have had no issues at all in the Great lakes. it is a great boat for family and for entertaining and we still enjoy it immensely. I have generally found that most people that post bad reviews about Bluewater's have never been on one.

Yes, they do require a good captain, every boat deserves one, and, as i had mentioned before, we had it in rough 6 to 8 foot weather for two days and it is not comfortable and neither is most any other boat that size in that kind of weather.

I would not attempt an ocean voyage on one but they were never intended for that, but they are an excellent coastal cruiser. They will do everything that a Carver or Searay will do as they are not big water boats either, but the Bluewater will do it with much more comfort and space.

However, we bought a condo in florida last year and also another boat to remain there so we may be putting up our bluewater for sale in the near future. Still not quite sure about boating in florida...

I can tell you that my Bluewater is better equipped than any other on the market and has all that is needed to do even the Great Loop. if you have any questions or interest, email me at rc@mnsi.net
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:50   #39

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

RaySea Lady... Unless you have sailed or cruised aboard any vessel you have no idea or credibility. You have been there! The Bluewater cruising boats are absolutely wonderful for what they are designed for... reliable gas engines, roomy, great in a moderate seaway and easy to handle.
There are many where I now live near Lake Tahoe and have a good reputation on the lake. I would not venture out on one north of Point Conception on the west coast however and would check the weather very carefully south of there.
Your comments are right on in my opinion! Thanks for posting... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00   #40

Thank you for the kind words Capt Phil

Only one correction, mine has 450 cummins turbo 8.3 Diesel engines, I have over 1100 hours on them and had no issues other than normal maintenance.
Fuel economy ranges from 2mpg at 7 mph (idle) to 2gpm at 22mph.

I would also like to add, that i ran into a situation where we had another couple on our boat doing a show and tell and his wife fell in love with it. Some time latter I found out that he was badmouthing the Bluewater and that he would never have one. Later found out that it was counter pressure against his wife wanting him to trade his silverton in...
Old 06-09-2016, 07:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinja View Post
Hi RaySea

Kind of digging up an old post here, but I have been trying to find some information on blue water yachts. I am in love with the unique design of the blue water boats. There are mixed reviews on here about the quality and seaworthiness of the vessels. We boat out of Holland, Mi and are looking for larger boat to cruise around. We mainly go on short cruises and hang out on the beaches. We occasionally do a cruise to Chicago, or Milwaukee, Ludington, etc.. We currently do it on a Searay Express cruiser, but are looking for something more comfortable.

Would you be willing to share some of your experiences on your bluewater? Obviously these are not real common around here and just curious why. I can understand the styling isn't for everyone, but is it appropriate for the conditions we have? While I would like to increase the number of boatable days we can enjoy, I am not looking for something that can handle 6 footers either. Do you think the 52 would be just as capable? Any input or advise you can provide would be sincerely appreciated.
I should have mentioned that we have had our Bluewater from Windsor to Mackinac Island, to Petoskey, Beaver Island, Charlevoix, Traverse city for three consequetive boating seasons and have gone through at Drummond Island into the North Channel to Sault St. Marie and then back down to Georgian Bay to the Trent Severn Canal, back to Tobermory and down Lake Huron to return to Windsor. So, there should be no worries about what you want to do with a bluewater, just be a good captain, keep an eye out for weather, i have XM weather satelite on mine, and you are good to go.

In all those travels i have had to stay in one day because of bad weather, not that it was bad for boating, it was raining with not too much wind so we just stayed in port and took care of laundry and chores etc...

hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:23   #42
Marine Service Provider

I think we have the same hull as RaySae, and use it pretty much the same way. It's a day boat, and near coastal trips. But we have taken it from New Orleans to Tampa before. We just stayed within a few miles of the coast and picked a good weather window to make it across the big bend.

I didn't make the bend trip, but my dad and step mother spent two weeks in carable (so) waiting on a weather window. Right next to them was a 65' Hattaras waiting on the same window. Our general rule is no further than 2 hours from the nearest port in case of weather.

Within those limitations it reall is a phenominal boat. We routinely have 15-20 people for day cruises and wig the space it doesn't really feel crowded.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:56   #43

Quote:
I should have mentioned that we have had our Bluewater from Windsor to Mackinac Island, to Petoskey, Beaver Island, Charlevoix, Traverse city for three consequetive boating seasons and have gone through at Drummond Island into the North Channel to Sault St. Marie and then back down to Georgian Bay to the Trent Severn Canal, back to Tobermory and down Lake Huron to return to Windsor. So, there should be no worries about what you want to do with a bluewater, just be a good captain, keep an eye out for weather, i have XM weather satelite on mine, and you are good to go.

In all those travels i have had to stay in one day because of bad weather, not that it was bad for boating, it was raining with not too much wind so we just stayed in port and took care of laundry and chores etc...

hope this helps.

This is great help. Thank you for sharing your experiences! These are the types of things we like to do as well. We made a trip from Holland to Ludington over Labor day, and it again reminded me that we need a bigger more comfortable boat.

So given a typical day on the big lake, how does she sit in what I would call an average day? My express cruiser bobs all over the place on anchor. We always throw an aft anchor to keep her facing into the waves, but still, no one can sit on the boat as they would be throwing up over the sides eventually. This happens even in slow 1 foot rollers. The only time we anchor directly in the lake is when we spend the day on the beach. We have a dinghy with a 20hp on the back but rarely can we launch it due to the boats movement. My outboard is scratched all to hell from trying to tie it up to the hoist while the boat is moving about. We end up hauling all our crap to the beach including grills for lunch because of the bobbing around. My wife is hoping for something that sits more comfortably so we can just go the boat to make lunch, or warm up in a warm shower, etc..without getting seasick. Given the boats weight, length and beam, I am hoping this solves the issue or at least drastically improves it. I realize any bigger boat will help with this issue, but how would you compare the Bluewater to comparable size Carver, Searay etc.. when anchored in mild waves? My mind says the lower center of gravity would help with this. Not to mention the cost factor. I simply can't nor do I want to afford a 52-58' SeaRay or Carver.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06   #44

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words Capt Phil

Only one correction, mine has 450 cummins turbo 8.3 Diesel engines, I have over 1100 hours on them and had no issues other than normal maintenance.
Fuel economy ranges from 2mpg at 7 mph (idle) to 2gpm at 22mph.

I would also like to add, that i ran into a situation where we had another couple on our boat doing a show and tell and his wife fell in love with it. Some time latter I found out that he was badmouthing the Bluewater and that he would never have one. Later found out that it was counter pressure against his wife wanting him to trade his silverton in...
Yes, I also appreciate your word Capt Phil. It's a bit tiresome reading people opinions of a boat they haven't owned or have experience on.

Do you think your choice of diesels in this boat is a good one? I have been leaning toward a boat with diesels, but we aren't high hour boaters, and I have heard stories of diesels maintenance costs not being worth it unless you rack up a lot of hours. We have been averaging around 75/yr, but might be more with the right boat. I actually hadn't even considered gas engines in something that large until I discovered the Bluewaters'. Wondering how fuel burn in diesels compare to say twin big blocks?

What do you find is a good cruising speed? What is a good compromise between decent fuel burn and taking forever to get anywhere?

How is the noise level in your boat? I find 4 hours to be my limit in my SeaRay at cruise speed. After that the noise starts to get to me and I get tired of trying to talk over the engines and the constant roar of the engines. I noticed in a few photos that one of the engines is behind a panel in the galley right next to the sink. Does this make for a noisy living area while cruising? I imagine most of the time being up on deck and it's probably not an issue, but my wife likes the idea of a long cruise where she can take some time and relax in a living room type environment while underway.

Sorry for so many questions, but I am thrilled to find someone using one in the great lakes like I hope to.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:46   #45
Marine Service Provider

Lark,

I wouldn't own a gas boat for a couple of reasons, but the primary one being the risk of an explosion. Yes it is very low risk, but if it happens it's a very big bang. Fuel burn is probably about 10-15% more on the gas engines, maintenance should be about the same. If anything the diesels should be less work, but a little more expensive if something goes wrong. But Bluewater used pretty stock cummins diesels so most automotive (really truck) shops carry parts at pretty reasonable prices.

At anchor in swells... It depends on the wind. The boat tends to ride bow to the wind regardless of the waves as a result of the shallow drive and minimal Vee. So when the two are in concert it's fine, but the boats a little rolly when they don't match up. The motion tends to be quick and short as opposed to rolly like you are used to. I like the motion more, but some people find it more likely to cause sea sickness than a deep V, it's really a personal preference issue.

We actually spend very little time down below. The bridge deck is just to comfortable. With the generator and both engines on at cruising speed (about 14kn for us) it's certainly noticeable down below, but you can still talk to each other. On the bridge it's pretty reasonable. The baffles do a good job of directing the sound down and away, and you are removed enough vertically that the noise disparates.

As for speed... Our cruise is about 14, top end is 18, but we often run at 8. If we are doing a long trip the fuel burn at 8kn is almost nothing. Our most common destination is about 25nm away, and the next up is 60nm. So if we are going to the close on, we just assume a four hour trip, or a eight hour for the other and leave accordingly. Sure you can cut the time in half by running hard, but the fuel burn is about 10 times that at 8kn.

Sometimes you have to, but normally cruising along at 8kn works very well for us.