Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 18:47   #46

Boat: 40' custom catamaran
Re: Bluewater boats?

I think this is the company I was thinking about:

https://www.silent-yachts.com/

If I had the money, these would be on the top of my list. The site is short on real information, but the cat layout makes this concept feasible, I think.

My boat has room on the wheel house roof for 10 more 200W solar panels—but we are doing just fine with two x 200W, and one small 300W inverter. We do plan to install another inverter (1000W continuous, with 2,400W instant draw availability) because with propane cooking, we have found that we do not use anywhere as much electricity as we thought we would.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:26   #47

Boat: 1975 Pearson 10 Meter

OK so what would you call the " Kon Tiki" Let`s face it we are all at the mercy of the Ocean once we are out their no matter what you are in.
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:41   #48

Boat: nor'sea 27, 1977

As Mac blaze suggests, why not a compromise. Perhaps something like a Fisher 37 MS would be affordable. They appear to be rugged enough for an ocean passage.
iota27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 01:12   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
There's always a lot of back and forth on the sailing side about just what constitutes a bluewater boat, but I've never seen such a discussion on the powered side. And I'm curious. Other than Nordhavn and (maybe?) Selene I have no idea what powerboats are offshore (or even rough coast) capable.

I've been on Bayliners and Grand Banks and neither are really the kind of boat I would take, say...down the west cost of the U.S. and certainly not offshore to Hawaii.

So, what's out there?
Bering Power Yachts if you have the money, 50’ up to 130’. Hitched a ride from Alameda to Monterey California on a friends Bering 55 Voyager. If I had the money, so much money, so very much money. This thing can cruise 5,000 nm @ 7knots, 2,300 gallons of diesel. It's like crossing the ocean in very nice two-bedroom apartment. The part I loved was the stabilizer. Seakeeper stabilizer reduced rock & roll in six-foot seas to almost nothing.

But you need to get used to the engine. Very little noise, imperceptible vibration, but it’s there. There is always an engine running, main or generator if you’re not at anchor or in a marina. At anchor there are 17 AGM batteries plus another 10 for starting, nav, and house systems.

Different way of cruising, but boy I could sure get used to that Seakeeper stabilizer.

Jeff
Old 21-04-2019, 06:23   #50

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

The Dashew FPB range is very compelling. Dashew reckons it’s cheaper to power than sail plus you can go where and when you want a lot easier than sail. For them age meant sail was getting hard to handle.

I also like Pachoud cats from NZ, they have built some amazing expedition boats. LCR50 by Hickey.

I would love a Neel Tri, but at my age, late 50s, power is quite fun and compelling too.
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 21:48   #51

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

except you will burn in hell

Will it be gas or diesel?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 16:21   #52

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel

Our 96 year old wooden, single 1923 diesel engine cruiser has circumnavigated the globe (1971-1976) and the Pacific Ocean (2006/07). We currently travel about 15,000 miles per year between summers in Alaska and Winters in the Sea of Cortez.

We regularly cruise between Seattle and Juneau with just 2 of us aboard.

Docking can be a challenge, but after a while one accepts that the laws of physics are in fact, immutable, and not subject to change just because you want to go boating.

Westward weighs about 130 tons and has 110 horsepower, so we use our lines to maneuver in close quarters and when docking or getting underway.

We have no bow thruster, but am not in a time of life where I would accept one if offered as a gift after many years I scorned them as boat handling training wheels.
Pacificcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 23:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificcatalyst View Post
Our 96 year old wooden, single 1923 diesel engine cruiser has circumnavigated the globe (1971-1976) and the Pacific Ocean (2006/07). We currently travel about 15,000 miles per year between summers in Alaska and Winters in the Sea of Cortez.

We regularly cruise between Seattle and Juneau with just 2 of us aboard.

Docking can be a challenge, but after a while one accepts that the laws of physics are in fact, immutable, and not subject to change just because you want to go boating.

Westward weighs about 130 tons and has 110 horsepower, so we use our lines to maneuver in close quarters and when docking or getting underway.

We have no bow thruster, but am not in a time of life where I would accept one if offered as a gift after many years I scorned them as boat handling training wheels.
How much of the original wood has been replaced?
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 07:33   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
How much of the original wood has been replaced?
As a tough guess I would say around 25%.
The frames forward have been replaced, but the rest of the double sawn 8”x8” frames are in excellent shape.
We replaced about 60 planks in the bow and the broad strakes 3 years ago. Also replaced 30’ of keel timber to eliminate a failed scarf joint.
The larger concern is that the iron fastenings have well exceeded their service life and need to be replaced. We did about 1/3 of the exterior plank fastenings and about the same for the ceiling planking when we did the other repairs. But there are inaccessible places, like behind the fuel tanks, where we can’t get.
Old 28-04-2019, 10:10   #55

Quote:
As a tough guess I would say around 25%.
The frames forward have been replaced, but the rest of the double sawn 8”x8” frames are in excellent shape.
We replaced about 60 planks in the bow and the broad strakes 3 years ago. Also replaced 30’ of keel timber to eliminate a failed scarf joint.
The larger concern is that the iron fastenings have well exceeded their service life and need to be replaced. We did about 1/3 of the exterior plank fastenings and about the same for the ceiling planking when we did the other repairs. But there are inaccessible places, like behind the fuel tanks, where we can’t get.
I see. Is this the vessel in the Adventure Smith Explorations site?
Old 28-04-2019, 10:20   #56

Quote:
I see. Is this the vessel in the Adventure Smith Explorations site?

Yes, and a couple of others as well. For more on the history and current activities of both of our boats, check our website: www.pacificcatalyst.com
Old 28-04-2019, 10:29   #57

Quote:
Yes, and a couple of others as well. For more on the history and current activities of both of our boats, check our website: www.pacificcatalyst.com
Thanks, I will.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:43   #58

Quote:
There is a picture there where the smaller of your two vessels is in front of what appears to be a newly-exposed, very blue, section of a glacier, and water splashing from what seems to be the impact of the ice that slide off the glacier's face into the water.

I've seen footage of such incidents, and the damage the resulting wave causes.

Did that incident cause any problems, or was it just "routine"?

There is the text Glacier Bay written on the image.
Old 28-04-2019, 19:49   #59

Quote:
There is a picture there where the smaller of your two vessels is in front of what appears to be a newly-exposed, very blue, section of a glacier, and water splashing from what seems to be the impact of the ice that slide off the glacier's face into the water.

I've seen footage of such incidents, and the damage the resulting wave causes.

Did that incident cause any problems, or was it just "routine"?

There is the text Glacier Bay written on the image.

There are a couple of images similar to the one you describe. In all cases I never approach a glacier face closer than 1/4 mile, that gives is time to get clear of floating ice before the wave reaches us, and lets us get the bow aimed directly into the wave, which helps keep lunch on the table. The boat looks closer due to telephoto foreshortening, the photographer was in a skiff about 1/2 behind the boat, so with the calving glacier another 1/4 distant, it makes the boat look like it's right under the ice fall.
Old 28-04-2019, 20:19   #60

Quote:
There are a couple of images similar to the one you describe. In all cases I never approach a glacier face closer than 1/4 mile, that gives is time to get clear of floating ice before the wave reaches us, and lets us get the bow aimed directly into the wave, which helps keep lunch on the table. The boat looks closer due to telephoto foreshortening, the photographer was in a skiff about 1/2 behind the boat, so with the calving glacier another 1/4 distant, it makes the boat look like it's right under the ice fall.
Thanks. It is amazing how blue the newly-exposed ice is.

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water