Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 08:20   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: BEST POWER BOAT FOR THE THORNY PATH

Triple 350hp outboards will eat you alive. It's one thing to take the boat out for a day's fishing every once in a while...but cruising ???

At cruise, they will burn 30-35 gal/hr.....WOT will be double that.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:21   #32

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

One thing to consider - is that a long multi-day passage on any of these boats is likely going to be more like being stuck in a washing machine, than being on a luxury cruise. Open ocean travel tends to wear some people one out with constantly bracing for prevailing sea conditions. Inexperienced small boat passengers might be in for a shock to their expectations - depending on who is on board.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:31   #33

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The waters we are talking about in my experience don’t call for a semi planing hull or a fishing hull converted to a living trawler.
A Deep V full get up n go hull or waddle.
At that point a sailboat trumps the power boat. A 52’ Hinckely 2008 in FLA Asking 1.2M. It has two turbo diesels engine mounts hull carriage balance to handle the Atlantic at its worst. I’m sure I’m wrong but hanging more than 2 outboards seems creepy and short term hull. A sailboats architecture is better suited and many faster passage than the power boats mentioned. A Beneteau First 36 would out run half
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
One thing to consider - is that a long multi-day passage on any of these boats is likely going to be more like being stuck in a washing machine, than being on a luxury cruise. Open ocean travel tends to wear some people one out with constantly bracing for prevailing sea conditions. Inexperienced small boat passengers might be in for a shock to their expectations - depending on who is on board.
Obviously, 'sour-grapes' speculation vs actual experience. I know of at least 100 people who switched from sail to power. I know of only one who went the other direction.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:55   #35

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Obviously, 'sour-grapes' speculation vs actual experience. I know of at least 100 people who switched from sail to power. I know of only one who went the other direction.

I'm not trying to slight power boating at all. I think it's true no matter what the vessel is - if it's under 50 feet. IMO, being at sea takes much more physical stabilizing effort for just standing and moving, for anyone, when compared to a Carnival style commercial cruise. A lot of casual boaters haven't been at sea, on a pleasure craft, for 24 hours a day. I like it, but not everyone does.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I'm not trying to slight power boating at all. I think it's true no matter what the vessel is - if it's under 50 feet. IMO, being at sea takes much more physical stabilizing effort for just standing and moving, for anyone, when compared to a Carnival style commercial cruise. A lot of casual boaters haven't been at sea, on a pleasure craft, for 24 hours a day. I like it, but not everyone does.
Sounds romantic and salty. Misses the point on the OPs preference for fast running. Sailors take a day or longer to go 150 nms. A sport fisher like the 37 footer the OP linked with triple 300 outboards leaves after breakfast and covers same ground by lunch before afternoon winds kick in. Said another way, for a family where the parents have careers and are constrained by vacation time, a fast boat opens up 10x the amount of cruising area compared to a sailboat.

I don't share the love of fast boats. But I do understand why people like them. Many boats are designed for a specific range of use case which must be respected.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:08   #37

I do love to sail, especially on a catamaran. But yeah, we own a business on STT and have 2 young boys in school so we aren't in a place right now where we want to make super long, leisurely sails at the moment.

The kids spend a lot of time in the water, boat with friends often, are on sailing teams at the STT yacht club, etc. but they haven't seen much rough weather. Just pounding through Pillsbury sound on the way to St. John.
SCOUTVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:34   #38

That difficult trip back and forth is just not practical. Get 2 smaller boats and fly.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 17:34   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

These big multi-engine offshore fishing boats are designed and built for the task. I've had the pleasure of being invited on one. When the "good" fishing grounds are 80 miles offshore, you don't want to spend all day getting there, no indeed, the idea is to get there in little more than an hour, and you will. These boats are going 50-60 mph in every manner of sea condition. True, it's bit of a wild and wet ride, as these boats are basically skipping from one crest to another. The term " flying over water" takes on a new meaning.

It's not my cup of tea, that's for sure, but hardcore fishermen take this in stride. That these boasts and engines can take this kind of punishment is quite amazing.

Fuel burn is stunning. This type of fishing is clearly for the well heeled folks. These big engines can cost as much as a boat for most people.

But, I see this from my point of view. With a bigger wallet in hand, I'd likely take in stride.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:41   #40

Very true, the fishing charters here go out off the north and south drop and it's pretty wild out there. One of our friends who had never been seasick before came back from one of those trips so ill the other weekend.

I think we will take the Grady White for a test run into the biggest water we can find and see how it goes. If we love the boat we can do a few runs to PR and see how we feel about going farther.

Thanks for all the valuable input and knowledge.
SCOUTVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:05   #41

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUTVI View Post
I think we will take the Grady White for a test run into the biggest water we can find and see how it goes. If we love the boat we can do a few runs to PR and see how we feel about going farther.

Looks like a nice boat. Look closely at tankage.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2022, 06:26   #42

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Grady White is a good choice. They are built and designed for the job.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 15:03   #43

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
We live on St. Thomas and would like to buy a power boat to cruise back and forth between STT and FL once a year. We are hoping to find something locally or in PR.
Since you are asking for the best boat for a family of four to cruise in open ocean, a 900 nm trip... my suggestion is a 45-50 foot motorboat. You will have the offshore capability, the cruising speed and the comfort to cover this distance in style. You should be able to get a second hand boat in your budget. For example, a Sea Ray 44.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ridge-8029260/
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 17:54   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Very true, the fishing charters here go out off the north and south drop and it's pretty wild out there. One of our friends who had never been seasick before came back from one of those trips so ill the other weekend.

Thanks for all the valuable input and knowledge.
None of the Grady Whites have anywhere near the range for the trip you mention without about three stops for fuel.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:12   #45

Boat: Aquila 38' Power Cat

Look at a power cat. they are economical, stable and very comfortable. I have an Aquila 38 and love the Aquila line but the Leopards are also very nice. some of them have 1100 NM range so you could probably make the trip one way on a full tank...
CaptMike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, power boat