Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 13:23   #1

Best Cruising Powercat?

What are considered some of the better powercats for liveaboard cruising?

I've been looking mostly in the 39-45ft range with a wide beam. There aren't too many blogs/vlogs online of permanent powercat liveaboards that offer insights.
HSV Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 14:42   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Best Cruising Powercat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Sailing View Post
What are considered some of the better powercats for liveaboard cruising?

I've been looking mostly in the 39-45ft range with a wide beam. There aren't too many blogs/vlogs online of permanent powercat liveaboards that offer insights.
What sort of cruising do you intend to do, ie long distance or coastal? I believe this has a big bearing on the type of boat you choose, displacement, semi displacement, planing etc.

I have very little knowledge regarding power cats but I'm interested in seeing what's out there as I'll probably look in that direction in the future. For me I'd be probably looking at semi displacement to displacement power cats with good economy which comes at the cost of higher speeds.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 15:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What sort of cruising do you intend to do, ie long distance or coastal? I believe this has a big bearing on the type of boat you choose, displacement, semi displacement, planing etc.

I have very little knowledge regarding power cats but I'm interested in seeing what's out there as I'll probably look in that direction in the future. For me I'd be probably looking at semi displacement to displacement power cats with good economy which comes at the cost of higher speeds.
Mostly coastal, but with the possibility of long distance. More-so looking for efficiency over speed. 7knts seems plenty fast for island hoping.
Old 26-08-2019, 07:50   #4

Boat: Custom Power Cat 16.5m

There are alot of small batch power cats that are great, most built similar to the Malcolm Tennant designs.
Mine is a 54' Semi displacement with a 25' beam, and a pair of 89hp Perkins give it an economy cruise of 8kt at 3gph.
But you need to look hard and discard many before you find one that fits. The production Power cats are generally way to middle of the road, and lean more towards harbour or near coastal, with too many compromises to be good long term off shore cruisers.
Bigger is better, it is no more difficult to single hand a 60' than a 38', but you get far more than 50% of usable space.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41   #5

2009 Malcolm Tennant Domino 20

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/

http://dominocatamaran.blogspot.com/
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 16:13   #6

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Oh be still my beating heart - a favourite topic of mine .

Shameless plug: I've made some posts on comparisons, results on fuel efficiency and notes about the concept of "long range" on our blog.

How is your hunt going OP?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Oh be still my beating heart - a favourite topic of mine .

Shameless plug: I've made some posts on comparisons, results on fuel efficiency and notes about the concept of "long range" on our blog.

How is your hunt going OP?
What are your thoughts on the Lagoon 43 and Manta 44? These are the two I'm most interested in.
Old 03-12-2019, 21:21   #8

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Sailing View Post
What are your thoughts on the Lagoon 43 and Manta 44? These are the two I'm most interested in.
I haven't seen either in the flesh as we've only just (last year) bought into power cats. The analysis I've done is armchair, but trying to remove as much of the manufacturer information and base it on owners stories. So I'll shutup ...

...except to say that, if we had the money, we would have purchased Domino - as a match for most of our particular purposes.
Of the production boats, if we had the money, we may have ended up with a PDQ41 as a good middle ground of something big enough to do what we want yet small enough for a couple to handle and moor cheapishly.
But neither would have satisfied our desire to slowly cruise the French/Belgium/Dutch canal system, so it's all a compromise.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising