Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 12:50   #1

Boat: 85' Shrimper
Alternative Power Boat

Food for thought.
After spending 7 years on a Cal-40 actually cruising [Europe, Med,S. America, et al] I came back to the US, salted away a few greenbacks for my next boating illusion and I bought an 85' ex-shrimper.
Ok, I got it on the cheap because it had a fire in it but I would have gutted any boat I bought so Ma-nature saved me some work. Note...very hard to find a burned fiberglass boat without a mask and snorkel.
Now, if you are a purist [I've been there] none of this is worth your initial gasp...but if you are somewhat handy with your hands and haven't subscribed to either side of the 'rag-bagger vs the stinkpotter' debate there is another avenue to consider.
Fuel is still 40 cents a gallon in Venezuela so with a 30,000 gallon fill I've got plenty of stinky, hammering miles to go on all points of sail. I can buy all my interior furnishings at Home Depot...I priced a West Marine Stove and 4x the cost for equal performance would be a generous error in their favor. Instead of a SS 12' cleat for $580 I went to the scrap pile and welded one...If I can weld anyone can. There are 60'-90' 'tunnel' boats that draw 5'. You never have to worry about a ponga ramming you in the middle of the night. No more debates over cutter vs sloop. You work to find ways to put more weight on, the boat that is. I have silly debates with myself...should I get an ice maker or another refrigerator, do I really want a hot tub on the aft deck, is two dinghy's and a jet ski overkill?
Anyway, it's just another approach to the same illusion....
....let the purists pounce. On the other hand I'd be happy to share information with those interested.
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 14:29   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
If I were ever to get a M/V it would definitely be of the industrial variety. They are just more practical, seaworthy, and imho better looking than the latest white fiberglass gin palace designed following oakley sunglasses.

Alas, I am a blowboater. I probably always will be.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 15:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Talk to us in three years, when the brutal maintenance schedule has taken it's toll. 85 feet? Man, that is allot of boat to keep up with!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 17:05   #4

Can't dispute that Witzgall..pay to play. One has to go under the assumption that they want a boat that big and I was offering an alternative to that 'illusion'. When I made that decision I tried to minimize the ongoing operating costs...low cost getting into it. Home Depot prices. I bought a house with 123' of bayou frontage to escape Marinas and fees. Depreciation on some of the same size boats amounts to my upfront cost. Only ideas.

Plus my exit strategy.....flip it over and open an oyster bar and when those are gone cut it for scrap.

Let you know in three!

Rod
Old 24-05-2010, 17:41   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Loosiana to Venezuala, a short 1900nm hop to the gas station every time you want to fill up. 4000nm round trip. Or did you plan to fill up for free in the Gulf in coming weeks?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 19:11   #6

1936nm rhumb line...4180 gal fuel...family of 7....597.14gal per person...eight days...74.64 gal per person, per day........priceless. Fill...30,000gal x .40 = $12,000 or 13,000 miles. Now if profit was my motive I could burn 4180gal back to the Bayou and sell the remaining 25,820gal for $2 per gal...$51,640...minus the original 4180 at $3 per gal.....$12,540...net $39,000....
.....but that is illegal, but on the other hand I wouldn't take it to Arizona.
I'll take the 13,000 miles and have some fun on the 'hop' to the gas station and since I'm fantasizing about illegal endeavours I could put Cuba on the route.

Free fill up on the Gulf...will look into a centrifuge.

Rod
Old 24-05-2010, 19:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just maintaining an 85 foot boat is easily a full time, 40 hour per week job for one person...sail or power.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 19:43   #8

Bringing one back to life is an 80 hr wk job with overtime. I've lost 10lbs and feel 10 years younger.....beats Weight watchers.

Tags
power boat