Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 06:48   #1

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 380 Express
air conditioner discharge splash

I dock my boat in a marina slip and the air conditioner discharge shoots out against the dock which causes a lot of noise and splash Anyone have ideas on how to eliminate the spash
mgcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:03   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: air conditioner discharge splash

Turn the vessel 180 degrees
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:34   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Deflector plate
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:00   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

A guy in our marina squeezed a six inch-long section of plastic hose in his a/c output so he could direct the outflow. Works great for him. Might work for you, too.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:27   #5

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Welcome to the forum.

Turn up the stereo volume.

Attach indoor / outdoor carpeting to the dock side, to diffuse the directed water.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:18   #6

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Park farther from the main dock.
The discharge can only squirt so far.............
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:01   #7

Use a large fender to keep you off the dock
hmarkhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:39   #8

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7

Sometimes i hang a towel off the side with a fender over it so it keeps the towel close to the water exit..it reduces the sound quite a bit...
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:26   #9

Use it as an early warning...no splash and it's time to check the strainer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 14:13   #10

Boat: Bayfield 36

Same problem, simple solution.
Take a small piece of carpet long enough to go from the discharge to the waters edge.and tack it to the dock, allow it to hang into the water. Dock in the same spot each time. Put a small mark on the dock right at the helm and you will always be lined up with the carpet.
I use another piece I keep in the anchor locker and hang it from the life line to the waters edge when I'm at guest dock. Works great for me and the neighbors appreciate it.
Bluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:55   #11

The insertion of a plastic tube into the skin fitting will work as will most of the suggestions given. Cheap, effective. However, most require that you address solutions rather than the problem - high water velocity. The carpet solutions sound good but they are another issue to address when tying up at the dock side. I had the same problem and solved it by removing the skin fitting and replacing it with a considerable larger fitting and about half a meter of larger internal hose. I also added a two 90 degree turns to the plumbing. The result was that the water velocity was lowered so it did not eject as a stream, it just dribbles.
There are also engine wet exhaust outlets that have a rubber flap built in.
However, a near constant water flow down the hull invariably leads to discolouring or staining.
Maybe a small rubber lip glued to the skin fitting to ensure the water does not run down the hull would help in conjunction with a larger fitting with its own exhaust flap.
Another radical alternative is (if possible) to plumb the AC water into another underwater skin fitting e.g. a cockpit drain, engine exhaust outlet etc.
I assume you are talking about the condenser cooling water, but how are you managing the water that the air AC squeezes from the cabin air?
This water is produced at the evaporator which is usually high up in the cabin structure. This can be considerable depending on relative humidity - usually seen running from under the AC when a car stops. Some boats run this water into the galley sink plumbing. Maybe whatever drain is built into your boat (?) could be shared with the condenser cooling water flow.

Another observation is that water cooled condensers are fairly expensive items and require a water pump to work. Some boats use a split system with an air cooled condenser. These are cheaper to purchase (being a domestic product) but are bulky ugly units which sit on the deck and invariably rust quickly and are a bit noisy as well but there may be better quality air cooled units.

I would be looking for a solution that does not produce anything that protrudes and requires no further action on your part. Set and forget.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 04:44   #12

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

These people have some answers
https://www.lifesaport.com/home/2019...ain-prevention
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 04:24   #13

Yep it ruins the wax job shine and puts a stain on the boat too. Solution is as simple as was said earlier......six inch piece of clear tubing, just enough to have a downward turn in it naturally, and bingo. I have to say my dock neighbor Greg figured that out, then was nice enough to walk the entire E & F Docks with pre-cut pieces and everyone who wanted one, got one installed for free! Yes, it works, and works well.
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:17   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

At the risk of thread deviation I have to admit that our boat has the same stupid installation. The seawater outlet of the AC is about 2,5 feet above the water. So I intend to lower the thruhull to about 1-2 inch above the water line (and keeping the high loop in the hose). But the years of splashing seawater have left their trace in the form of a crust of salt on the gelcoat.
How do I remove this? Seasalt is pretty resistant to all solvents, acids, etc. Any one has a solution?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 06:17   #15

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My process to address the hull dribble is to attach a small fixed blaster nozzle to my Salt Away mixer. I put car wash soap into the cup, shut off the A/C and close the seacock. My system has two A/C systems run off one pump, so I jam in the blaster nozzle into one, then the other, to push out any accumulated crud. This is done every time the water isn't shooting out away from the hull.

Any dribbling stains are removed with Davis FSR.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote