Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2014, 21:13   #1

Advise needed on a boat buy

My wife, two young children and I are looking into becoming a liveaboard here in the pacific northwest. Looking to purchase a 42’ Californian LRC for this, we will be getting it surveyed here pretty soon in the Portland, OR area and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following questions.

· If you tell me what the pros and cons to this vessel is, it’s a 1981 42’ Californian LRC with twin 210hp 3208 Cats in it?
· Good surveyor in the Portland, OR area and someone that can do a mechanical survey as well?
· Typical problems with these vessels and any known things to “watch out for”?
· Approximate maintenance cost of this vessel to keep it in good condition?
· Fuel burn and if its ok to run on one engine without a shaft lock?
· Other boat to consider that is not a Bayliner…
· Anything else that I failed to ask that you might think that is helpful and/or useful point of view or advise…

Any help would be appreciated greatly, feel free to PM me and will gladly give you my phone number or more information if needed to properly answer my questions.

Thanks,

Dan
drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 21:44   #2

Re: Advise needed on a boat buy

Dan,

Not a ton of power boaters here, so you might get better quality answers on the carver owners forum.

For your surveyor question, I would start a thread with a subject "Portland surveyor". You should get plenty of good recommendations.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 21:47   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: 42’ Californian LRC Help Needed

Californians are known for issues with wet ply core. Make sure your surveyor has and is willing to use a moisture meter. Pay extra attention to buttresses/wing walls, and the fly bridge and boat deck area. Be sure to get a separate mechanics survey. Get it done by the mechanic you will be using long term.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 22:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzasa View Post
My wife, two young children and I are looking into becoming a liveaboard here in the pacific northwest. Looking to purchase a 42’ Californian LRC for this, we will be getting it surveyed here pretty soon in the Portland, OR area and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following questions.

· If you tell me what the pros and cons to this vessel is, it’s a 1981 42’ Californian LRC with twin 210hp 3208 Cats in it?
· Good surveyor in the Portland, OR area and someone that can do a mechanical survey as well?
· Anything else that I failed to ask that you might think that is helpful and/or useful point of view or advise…

Any help would be appreciated greatly, feel free to PM me and will gladly give you my phone number or more information if needed to properly answer my questions.

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan, I looked at the boat on yacht world. Love the diesel stove, though the carpet may be hiding a bad floor. And no engine photos or deck photo's, which are really the most important part, by far. These are the little cats and have an issue with the exhaust, or so I hear. Look for a rattle can tune up, where some owners will er touch up rusty bits. Easy to see from over spray.

If the engine room looks like you could eat dinner there, normally that's a keeper. If it looks rough then be extra careful. There is another one in florida on yacht world that shows the rattle can tune up and a rusty heat exchanger end cap. That's the sort of thing to look for. If it looks like a rats nest, it probably is.

Plus water leaks around windows and hull joints. Avoid teak decks. They look lovely, but are a maintenance nightmare

fuel mileage will be ~2MPG ish. much less above 10 knots.

But with a family of four, I would look for a single engine trawler with a down galley that has a larger fridge. That holding tank is small for 4 people, about a weeks worth.

A singe engine will not give better fuel mileage, less then 1 GPM more, maybe. But your engine maintenance will be cut in half and you'll have lots more room to move about in the engine bay.

While I'm a sailor, I did quite a bit of research for a friend who wanted a trawler.

Good luck and good hunting
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:39   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzasa View Post

Thanks,

Dan
Ask around before engaging a surveyor. There are surveyors and then there are surveyors. I think, I would start by casually asking the crustiest old guy I could find working at a reputable repair yard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:09   #6

only go with a certified marine surveyor from the national association of marine surveyors. Joe Derie is in Portland, you may also want to consider Mike Mcglenn from Washington . outstanding surveyor if you can get him.
namsglobal.org

most problems in this boat have manifested themselves already or will be readily apparent.

the surveyor will be instrumental in this. you take the recommendations to a boat yard for an estimate and use it as part of your negotiation.

you don't want buy and live on is someone else's problem

bruce NAMS SURVEYOR
S.F. Ca
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:18   #7

As sailor chic mentions, a trawler is an option. Twin engines have the benefit of getting you home if one fails though.
A well restored or kept Tollycraft is an alternative, not much core used in those boats from what I understand and they have a great rep.. There are some beauties around, but they are all getting fairly Long-in-the-tooth.

Here are some 44-48 footers in your area:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bod/4677653731.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/4636851304.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/4652377240.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/4678606088.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:53   #8

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

As to the engines. I have had a lot of experience with 3208s I've had them in construction equipment and in boats and I must say other than routine maintenance I've never had any significant problems with them. Of course they don't make them any more, now I have a 3100 and I don't like it as well but that's on a torque basis not reliability.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 13:28   #9

you say you want a live aboard. One engine is sufficient but if you intend to make trips to the San Juans or North of Nanaimo 2 engines are a must if you have a family and young children. My wife and I have spent the lasst 16 years aboard our boat between Olympia and Skagway for five months out of the year April to September. Wwe have seen quite few boats one engine needing a tow. Vessel assist is expensive. One can always rig to the stearn an outboard get home engine. Gives you more room inside. We have had two transmissions fail us and also one engine. Nice to be able to get home on one engine. We do run our boat at 85% horsepower mos of the tme and the original trans were jsut to small
rtretheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 13:37   #10

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Thumbs up Re: Advise needed on a boat buy

I may not understand what your saying about being towed home and the expense involved. I think in power boats twins are a must for long distance cruising, however I also think towing insurance is a must. It is not overly expensive, I can only speak for the East coast, but about $100 to $200 a year. That's very cheap peace of mind. I have been towed on a couple of occasions any they responded promptly and were skilled at towing. I would not sail without it.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 14:09   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I may not understand what your saying about being towed home and the expense involved. I think in power boats twins are a must for long distance cruising, however I also think towing insurance is a must. It is not overly expensive, I can only speak for the East coast, but about $100 to $200 a year. That's very cheap peace of mind. I have been towed on a couple of occasions any they responded promptly and were skilled at towing. I would not sail without it.
I'd agree. Had to use it years ago, best hundred bucks I ever spent. A tow of a couple of miles $750. They charge, their dock back to their dock. Signing on the line was sweet.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Thumbs up Re: Advise needed on a boat buy

Have been involved with the listing and potential sales of Californian's in the Gulf South. We are damp and muggy. So rust and corrosion are of a prime concern here. Check the fuel tanks. If the boat has not been loved and a dehumidifier not used, the is a potential for corrosion. Everyone has talked about a variety of issues, but they don't do this for a living. I don't want to make a buck from you or sell you something else. I would like to candidly talk with you about the purchase. I also have NAMS and SAMS surveyors that I use around the country. If you really like the boat and a surveyor picks it apart they will be doing more damage than good to purchase the vessel that just may be perfect for your family. Thanks for you inquiry, Capt. Rick Delaune 504-458-1013
RickDelaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:19   #13

I would send the oil from engine gear box out to be tested. Short money and will give you a base line if all is ok. One engine or two. For diesels from all I read bad fuel is mostly to blame and that will take out both engines. My experience is sail and power and if you maintain the engines they will go on and on. I had twin I/Os for 19 years no problems but expensive to maintain. I would not recommend I/Os for the ocean.

Running on one engine Strategies For Long Range Cruising With Twin Engines | | PassageMaker

At the time of Californian Yachts inception, trawler yachts had an uneven reputation: they were comfortable and fuel efficient, but also expensive, frustratingly slow, and unable to keep up with the faster sport fishers and powerboats on the market. Marshall redesigned the hull and superstructures, using a semi-displacement hull and ramping up the horsepower. Elliott designed the interiors, creating luxurious, comfortable surroundings with a roomy feel. In 1976, one of the company’s first commercially successfully models, the 42 LRC trawler, was launched, introducing the trawlers to a wider audience who appreciated the yacht’s exceptional handling, impressive fuel economy, and affordable pricing.
Pnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california