Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2022, 22:33   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: A bit of a pickle...

cet77 if it is any consolation plenty of people lose money selling boats. Right now, I have a customer who has lost more money than that on a similar style boat with similar issues. Most of the value of those boats is in the engines.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 10:36   #17

Boat: Summer Twins 25

If I were buying one with a bad engine, I would expect a huge discount on price.
Buy a boat cheap you need to be getting some serious gains when it’s done or you might as well buy s working one. Why would any want to risk their own cash on a repair, unless they are making a big saving.
The moral of the story is Don’t buy a boat that you can’t afford to repair or possibly loose. That’s why my CAT is 25ft not 50ft
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 10:38   #18

Plus the longer you keep it the more marina fees you will be paying adding to your loss.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 12:44   #19

I’d have to know more details you say gasket , I’m assuming that’s a head gasket do you still have one good running engine , gearbox on one needs to be rebuilt , you say you can’t afford it , do you own a house are you renting an apartment how far away from the boat do you live , Wife kids, A lot of detail go into a decision like this , what is the rest of the boat like average condition mint condition , need more information personally if it was me I decide how easy it would be to sell if it was in perfect condition and make my decision based on that , circumstances change, Rough times can pass , Get a firm price on repairs needed , Parts and labor separately, Cost of Volvo parts are stupid expensive , with a lot of detail I might be able to help you make a decision , you could always divorce your wife and free up some money
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 17:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I'd consider getting the engine fixed, as that's a serious impediment to most sales, but if someone will buy it "as is", you should absolutely consider making the sale.
Unfortunately he didn't say the offer was unconditional so offer price may not hold, but yes I agree fixing the engine and gearbox issues may be the best if not the only option to get a reasonable sale.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 17:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
Get a firm price on repairs needed
Good luck with that. Until they open things up, you can never tell with certainty what needs to be repaired.

If you hold their feet to the fire, they will just give you a silly high price that includes totally rebuilding/replacing everything.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 18:33   #22

The op could get a quote for hourly rate to assist him but yes he ideally needs to be there, pull the head, resurface and new head gasket, what 2 days work?
Gearbox no idea but worst case a day to remove and send to repairer. Two days reinstall?
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote