Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 16:15   #1

89 Jamestowner Houseboat

Hello i recently bought a 89 jamestowner houseboat in Tennessee.In there lakes they don't use holding tanks for black water.Well anyway we had a tank put in before we bought it,but they piped the grey into to the tank also;What king of grey water tank/pump do you recommend?Also does anybody have any factory manuals or owners manual for this boat.
thanks much
Springer130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 20:09   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: 89 jamestowner houseboat

Well, good you had the tank put in. Discharging waste (black water) overboard is illegal, with good reason, in any US inland waters (Federal law).

Re grey water, in most places it is not illegal to discharge grey water directly over board (unless restricted by local laws). So, you could probably just replumb to discharge grey water overboard. If you want to go to a different tank then I would go with rotomolded polyethylene (same thing they likely, hopefully?, used for your waste holding tank) these are impervious to just about anything and have no seams to fail.

You could also go with a small sump with an automatic pump. Like one of these Shower Sump Pump Systems. These work out pretty well, but you do have to periodically clean the screen on the pump.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 00:53   #3

Thanks. We brought the boat up to raystown pa. Somehow between the boat getting picked up and delivered it had some water and gas in the bottom of the bilge. What gets rid of the gas smell best?i was thinking of putting in a second exhaust fan and run it all the time off ac power.
Old 16-08-2012, 04:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 89 Jamestowner Houseboat

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Springer130.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 04:54   #5

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

Springer 130,
We had a 1987 14 X 53 Jamestowner. On ours, there was a 'black water' holding tank, but the grey water went overboard.
Which lake are you on? We were on Watts Bar Lake in East Tennessee forever.
Maybe I can remember some specifics, it has been several years since we sold her.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 16:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer130 View Post
Thanks. We brought the boat up to raystown pa. Somehow between the boat getting picked up and delivered it had some water and gas in the bottom of the bilge. What gets rid of the gas smell best?i was thinking of putting in a second exhaust fan and run it all the time off ac power.
Gas, as in "gasoline" or diesel?

Gasoline is way dangerous -- I would first find the source of the fuel leak and then clean up. Diesel is relatively safe. Either way you don't want this happening on a regular basis -- I would find out where it is coming from first.
Old 16-08-2012, 17:00   #7

As of now it is dry,but there is dirt grease on the bottom that gas got to.i put baking soda down,and will vac up.then try simple green and try to get it cleaned.where the gas can from is a mystery. Its funny,i find that most folks don't take care of anything,no different on boats.There was no holding tank,my understanding was most of the boats i looked at while in Tennessee were venting black and grey into the lakes.I guess there is no proper inspections,go figure.I told the broker to put a holding tank in before it was taken to raystown resort pa.Just like a old house it will take some time to make it very good condition,
Old 18-08-2012, 12:50   #8

"CAUTION""CAUTION""CAUTION""CAUTION"
most wet and dry vacuum cleaners exhaust some of their vacuumed air through the motor, most of the motors have brushes the brushes cause arcing the arcing could ignite the fumes. I doubt I need to tell you how I know this. My suggestion is use Dawn dish soap. It will claim just about anything on the boat from oil to your dishes.

You really need to find the fuel leak. It sounds like you had the boat hauled on a truck is so it may have twisted the hull sum and opened up something. Either way it is a bad situation. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 15:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
....I doubt I need to tell you how I know this...

No, but if you've got it on video I would pay to watch!
Old 18-08-2012, 19:15   #10

The aluminum generator tank has the small leak.I guess it was damaged in the move.We are going to replace both tanks with plastic tanks.They had some trouble getting the boat loaded so this is were the damage came to the tank.I guess the newer boats are using plastic tanks verses the aluminum tanks due to the alcohol in the gas.Thanks for the tips on the vac.The new tanks will go in early next week.I will get pictures and post.