Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 14:22   #1

Question 51' Bluewater 510 Coastal Cruiser

Hi all! Newbie here. This is my first post except from my "here I am" introductory post. As promised, I have been searching for answers before asking them. Nothing on this topic came up on this forum.

I am looking for a used, comfortable liveaboard motoryacht, but also thinking of possibly using it for occasional hosted day charters. At this point, I am targeting the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area of Alabama as home base.

I have read posts on other forums that these boats are really just a houseboat with a bow, best kept to lakes and rivers, and should not be used for "offshore" cruising. While I am sure opinions vary, I am curious if this vessel would be appropriate for day cruising just offshore the Gulf of Mexico coast of AL and FL, assuming conditions are favorable? I wouldn't intend to do what I am learning to be "The Loop" in it, but would like the option of getting out of the inter-coastal waterway.

I mean, it is called a "coastal cruiser". If the shallow draft is an issue for such use, maybe stabilizers can be added to reduce roll?

https://goo.gl/mrZuzG

Looking forward to your thoughts....
tkcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 15:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: 51' Bluewater 510 Coastal Cruiser

I've seen this type of boat off Southwest Florida. I know of one person who's taken one down to the Keys. Mind you this are basically a fair-weather boat. The hull is not thick enough or strong enough and windows are too large for rough Seas. But for the typical weather of Southwest Florida it's not too bad.

You have to watch the weather window, but then the prudent Sailor does that anyway.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 16:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I've seen this type of boat off Southwest Florida. I know of one person who's taken one down to the Keys. Mind you this are basically a fair-weather boat. The hull is not thick enough or strong enough and windows are too large for rough Seas. But for the typical weather of Southwest Florida it's not too bad.

You have to watch the weather window, but then the prudent Sailor does that anyway.
Thanks! I'm a private pilot, so I am keen on watching the weather and respect it!
Old 04-11-2018, 19:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Probably won't be approved to carry passengers for hire on the ocean by the USCG. And they're cracking down on illegal operators.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 23:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Probably won't be approved to carry passengers for hire on the ocean by the USCG. And they're cracking down on illegal operators.
Well, THAT was certainly a useful comment, and something that had not even occurred to me! Definitely alot to research and think through. Thank you for your insight.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16   #6

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

As an owner and repairer of both gas and diesel yachts, I strongly suggest diesel power for anything over 30'. Smaller fuel injected gasoline engines are more reliable that naturally aspirated gasoline engines, but nothing beats a good old Detroit, Cummins, or Perkins Diesel. They are inexpensive to repair, and operate.

There is a marina that is adjacent to the Marriott Grand Hotel in Point Clear Alabama. There are some Diesel Cruisers in the adjacent marina for half your budget. Make sure to get a thorough survey, including an oil analysis on engines and generator. If Houston is closer, there are lots of yachts available in the Clear Lake Area. Find a broker and have him look for you...
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:31   #7

My husband and I have lived aboard our 1987 Bluewater 51 for the last three years! After reading this forum for several years I finally know something!

We love living aboard this boat. It is roomy, has great storage and a full kitchen.

Rough water however is another story.

We bought her in Burlington VT and brought it down the Champlain Canal and Hudson to Liberty Landing and then to the Jersey shore for our first year. The Hudson and the bay were fine.

Then we spent a month driving it from NJ to Southwest Florida. Drawing just 23" and having tunnel drive makes maneuvering in a strong current or wind a bit difficult but the bow thrusters helped, as does experience.

However...One day when we were outside, off NJ the weather blew up much sooner than expected and the waves were breaking over our bow and splashing over the bridge. Both my husband and our accompanying friend are experienced captains and we survived although I was traumatized and the 7 month old puppy was miserably seasick.

This is a fine boat for pleasant gulf waters and the ICW. Locks and docking are no problem. Crossing the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds which were choppy also was just fine. Definitely not a boat for rough water but, that is not what it was designed for.

If you are choosing a boat to live one, this is a great choice. We don't have Diesel engines which is too bad and our gas mileage is awful.

This is also a good option to pull up to a sweet little island and hang out for the day, given the 23" draft.

But if you are looking for a boat to use commercially I think you need to better clarify your needs and look for a boat that really meets those needs. Every boat is happy on a calm sunny day.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:24   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I would only take that particular boat wherever I'd take a 17" open runabout. The freeboard in the stern looks extremely low, and not generally a boat that can handle being caught in heavy seas. You can take a 17" runabout a lot of places, but really can't be caught 3 hours from a protected port. Just plan that way, and you can do a lot with it.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 17:53   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
This is true. It would work as a six passenger or less, which is un-inspected craft. ( still have to meet basic safety requirements though). This is a smooth water boat. Good for the river systems.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:45   #10

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Don't forget that you will be required to get your 6 pack cert from the USCG.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:08   #11

If I were you, I would not limit myself with such a boat.

For $140k, you could almost definitely get a boat (although probably slightly smaller) that is safe for taking out into the gulf.
Peregrine1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 20:04   #12

Are you still considering the charter business? Any luck on finding a bluewater? I’m also looking for one for back bay and ICW cruising.
Itsmeglennv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmeglennv View Post
Are you still considering the charter business? Any luck on finding a bluewater? I’m also looking for one for back bay and ICW cruising.
No, I have putting boat ownership on the back burner.

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water