Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 04:46   #1

Boat: still day dreaming
50' + Decent Fuel Consumption

hi,
can anyone suggest a 50ft plus full displacement yacht that has at least 3000nm range but is very economical like 10 litres an hour. im not intersted in speed. ive seen the bruce roberts thread just wandered if there were more.
robdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:26   #2

Question,
Presume you are referring to a power boat not a sailboat?
Have a look at a friend of mine's displacement power cruising boats :
SEAHORSE MARINE
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:29   #3

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
It's unclear whether you are looking at sail boats or long distance motor yachts. Of course a sail boat has unlimited range, provided you take care of water and food, so I'll assume you are talking about a motor yacht. Krogen and Nordhavn long range trawlers can easily manage 3000nm provided you run at around 7 knots. On my 57.6 water line length cruiser I can get around 2.1nm to the imperial gallon. That's not as economical as you may want but it's about par or better for the type of boat. You could look at the Pardy designs which achieve better than this but they are not to everyone's taste.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:33   #4

yes im on the power boat forum, thanks
Old 17-03-2010, 06:29   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
My sailing catamaran can cruise at 6 knots on about 3 liters per hour and 1 engine or 7 knots on 6 liters per hour with both engines running. This boat comes in a power version that has twin 315 hp engines standard and carries 500 gallons of fuel. It of course can go much faster than 6 knots. One option might be to see if a power cat manufacturer would put a sailboat sized engine or maybe just slightly larger rather than the big powercat engines. With a 500 gallon tank you could get about 3000 miles cruising on one engine at a time. A slightly smaller cat might give you as much usable space as a 50Ft trawler.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:51   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hi Rob,

You definitely need to have a look at the Dashew power boats : DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 01:30   #7

ill buy one if its around $150,000 usd
Old 18-03-2010, 05:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah let's see: 50+ feet, 3000nm range, 10 l/h, $150k

1979 Ocean Alexander Mark I Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

but:

Cruising range of 1500 miles (5gph at 8 knots)

So, half the range and twice the consumption... I'm afraid your list of wishes doesn't really compute and then I think you also want it to be able to cross oceans, right?

cheers,
Nick.
Old 18-03-2010, 06:22   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Lifeline R had been built by Barlow shipbuilders in Ballina, New South Wales, Australia in 1971, starting life as a prawn trawler. She's 48 or 49 feet long (depending how you measure her), 14 feet 6 inches in beam with 6 feet of draft. Heavy displacement, she weighs 32 tonnes. Her hull is a sharpie design with hardwood frame and planks (we believe a mixture of spotted gum and ironbark).

Powered by a Gardner 6LX, coupled with a 38inch propellor, Lifeline gets along at a cruising speed of about 7.0 knots for 1100 RPM. We believe that diesel usage will be 10 litres per hour at those revs but are also hopeful of better economy by changing the pitch of the prop. (We are yet to definitively work out the fuel usage. When Philip brought the boat to Queensland from Southern Victoria he motored at 9 knots, 1300 RPM using 14 litres per hour. However the boat was dragging 32 holes in her bottom for the wet well). More on fuel economy to come....15 Sep. 2002: After cruising the boat for twelve months we are consistently getting 7 - 8 litres per hour at 7 knots (1100 RPM) and we are ecstatic!!
With a range that got them from Brisbane Australia to Singapore approx 3700NM

Cruising Under Power Southeast Asia in a Converted Fishing Boat
Old 18-03-2010, 10:02   #10

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Get an old steel fishing boat and fix it up to your specs, they are really cheap with huge fuel tanks. Take out the big diesel and sell it and replace it with an 6/71 N, also really cheap.Run her at 7 knts.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 11:18   #11

jedi

"So, half the range and twice the consumption... I'm afraid your list of wishes doesn't really compute and then I think you also want it to be able to cross oceans, right?"

well actually yeh looks very possible
Old 18-03-2010, 11:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdyson View Post
well actually yeh looks very possible
If you mean the boat linked by CatManDo I just enjoyed reading their logs and they took fuel all along the way so that 3700nm range isn't without refueling. With "range" I understand the range the boat can go without buying fuel.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 18-03-2010, 14:36   #13

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
A lot depends on your budget.It is not likely you will travel more than 5000 miles in a year so you could easily keep your fuel costs around $10,000. If you allow yourself $50,000 a year to live on you should be fine. Less than that and I do not think crossing oceans is an option.Just my 2c.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 14:59   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you mean the boat linked by CatManDo I just enjoyed reading their logs and they took fuel all along the way so that 3700nm range isn't without refueling. With "range" I understand the range the boat can go without buying fuel.

cheers,
Nick.
Quote:
In 2005, we crossed from Australia through Indonesia to Singapore, Malaysia and on to Thailand, a trip of approximately 5,000 nautical miles in 5 months. During the first part of that passage, although we had more than enough diesel to get to Singapore, we became aware of hoarding as prices began to rise, so we decided to buy extra fuel wherever it was available. This left us with a surplus for 2006.
Fuel Costs Cruising Under Power
Old 18-03-2010, 15:36   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Okay, I can quote too ;-)

Untitled Document

Quote:
The boat’s range is also important. Stated simply, your boat’s range is the distance it can travel at a given speed on the fuel it carries (with a decent margin for error). Lifeline, for example, at our cruising speed has a range of well over 2,000 nautical miles with 20% of our fuel left.
So they count on 2,000 nm range but even if you would allow to arrive on vapor it's still just 2,500m, instead of 3,000nm.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
consumption, fuel