Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 06:46   #1

Boat: tbd - possibly Egg Harbor 40'
40' from NJ to Southern FL (via Richmond, VA) ?

Hi all,
I'm both a newbie here as well as to boating so I hope this isn't a stupid question. We've found a 40' motoryacht we'd like to make an offer on but it's in NJ and eventually it's meant to be a part time liveaboard in southern FL (destination undetermined) but probably either south of Ft. Lauderdale or more likely on the gulf side near Ft. Myers. If we bought it this winter, we might consider registering it in VA (since we both still need to live here for work and family ties) and even rent a slip less than 10 miles from our home in Richmond on the James River. If it's ultimate destination is Florida, what's the best method for two newbies to get it there ... 1) having it trailered to FL directly from NJ or 2) cruise it down the coast, possibly up the James River for an indefinite stay in a nearby slip, then down the intracoastal waterway to FL? I'm sure there are calculations for hourly diesel fuel consumption for a twin Caterpiller 3208/320 HP but I truly don't know if it would be meaningful because of all the variables or where to look for carriers and costs to have it trailered directly to a FL destination. If it were you, what would you do from an economic perspective? Considering it's us (limited experience), would that carry a lot of weight towards the best decision?
Old 24-09-2011, 07:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 40' from NJ to Southern FL (via Richmond, VA?)

Which way to move the boat will depend a lot on your time, current skill and confidence level, condition of the boat and personal preferences.

Certainly would be a lot more fun to move the boat by water but would demand more of your time than hiring a trucker. Depending on how fast you go (meaning how much fuel you use), how long you take and how much time in marinas, it could be cheaper to do it yourself.

Fuel consumption if you stick to hull speed, roughly 7.5-8 kts for this boat will be a few gallons per hour. If you go faster, planing where the boat starts rising up to go on top of the water instead of going through the water, then it would be double or triple but you will go lots faster. Not a powerboat expert but would guess you could make 15-20 kts.

Figure 50-80 miles per day at hull speeds if you travel days and stop every night.

Trucking to VA would cost at least a few thousand.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 07:13   #3

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

dont state register this boat, do the USCG federal register, documented vessel.

trucking it also might cause some damage. It is a boat so bring it down yourself. And do just go slow otherwise the fuel burn will shock you. Bad enough already being a large twin diesel.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 07:47   #4

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Va has personal property tax as well, Florida does not. I'd go the USCG route.

If you don't mind moving it in several steps, you could take longer, making several stops along the way.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 07:50   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

You need to state register in addition to USCG documentation in most states. Do not take the boat to Florida until atleast 6 minths after you own it or Florida will want sales tax if you paid a smaller percentage in NJ. I'm leaving Annapolis next week to take a power boat to Port Everglades to ship it to the Caribbean. I plan 80 miles per day, nore if I need to make a stopping point. I'll go outside if the weather permits.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 07:56   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: 40' from NJ to Southern FL (via Richmond, VA) ?

Good answers so far, IMHO, but check carefully with the Virginia Boating/Licenses/Registering offices. Most States require you to "register", even if that means only getting a "sticker" for a USCG documented boat rather than State numbers. Each State is different.
- - When you get to Florida and the boat stays in the State for more than 90 days you will have to "register" it in Florida, either just a sticker or full numbers and title.
- - If you are never planning to take the boat outside the USA, then State "registration," in my opinion, would be the way to go.
- - As Skipmac says, about going to Florida with the boat, it all is a matter of your available time/schedule. However, if you have several months available to get there cruising the boat down the Intracoastal Waterway is the preferred way to go. There are so many great places to see and stop and explore along the way that it is a trip well worth taking.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 09:48   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Hull speed should be achievable on one engine. At two knots under hull speed you'll burn alot less fuel. Scince you are new to it the HULL SPEED is when the bow rises onto the bow wave, i.e. you are running uphill. Near hull speed you are still running up a gentler hill.
If you do a few days at a time, or more, you'll soon find yourselves running dawn 'till dusk, just open it up if you're approach to a new marina is going to be near dusk. Mooring at marked 'visitors' pontoon is often free between 7pm and 7 am (marina staff's working hours).
Have a chat with the locals at each stop for info on issues and problems on the next stretch. bridge opening times etc are nice to know before you get there. The locals also know the cheaper places for supplies too.
Have a great time. Work out how far it's worth getting the boat in odd weekends before you have to commit to completing the trip. A taxi back to where you left the car Friday night, plus car fuel, and you've gained experience of the boat, proved it's reliability, and all without wasting leave time on waiting for a small part that's stopped you making any progress. If the first two weekends are just proving runs they'll be well worthwhile.
Old 24-09-2011, 10:08   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If or when you do decide to motor down. Do 6-8 knots! Any slower doesn't work the motors properly. Diesels need to have a bit to a lot of strain on them to maintain their compression. Idling of long hours will polish the cylinders. Occasionally you may even want to bring it up to 10-15 knots for a few minutes just to exercise the motors.

Using just one motor at a time while cruising would help keep a load on. But both motors should be used for maneuvering or docking.
Old 24-09-2011, 10:25   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Delivering the boat from NJ to Richmond would be a great way to get to know the "ropes", so to speak. You should find a friend with sufficient boating experience to come along, or even hire a delivery captain, since you're both new to power boating. Once you get some experience with anchoring and docking the boat and a working knowledge of coastal navigation, running down the ICW to Florida will be a fun adventure and not all that difficult. Be sure to purchase towing insurance from BoatUS or similar, 'cause it's not hard to run aground in the Ditch.

If you buy the boat in NJ and move it to Virginia within the time period NJ allows, you can legally avoid NJ sales tax. You then will have to pay 2% sales tax in Virginia, capped at $2,000. The DMV administers that function. You'll also have to pay annual personal property tax to the county in which the boat is physically kept, just like you do for your automobile.

If you document the boat with the US Coast Guard, you won't be required to register or title the boat in Virginia. You will have to register the boat in Florida if you keep it there more than 90 days, but it doesn't cost that much. As another poster mentioned, if you move the boat to Florida six months or more after you buy it, you won't be liable for Florida any sales tax.
Old 24-09-2011, 10:47   #10

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I am in VA and no state registration. Boat is in Hampton, so no personal property tax.

Remember that, HAMPTON, VA has no boat personal property tax.
York county does and Newport News does, but not Hampton.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 18:53   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
....Mooring at marked 'visitors' pontoon is often free between 7pm and 7 am (marina staff's working hours)....
That might be true in the UK But I wouldn't count on it in the USA.
Old 24-09-2011, 20:13   #12

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

A couple of questions: mostly regarding time-frame

You say you're thinking of purchasing the boat this winter..does that mean that you'd be moving in the spring of 2012? If you do a wet delivery?

You didn't say where in NJ...North or South..? If North..you might have 130 miles of ocean to navigate in a " new to you" boat...

I wouldn't recommend taking "new to you" vessel out along the NJ coast in winter..

You could buy it, truck it to Virginia..and winter there. on land or in the water...launch in the spring and cruise to florida in the spring.....
Or. if you wanted to use it in Florida...this winter..just truck it there...after you purchase..?

A lot depends on your time-frame and goals.. but I would rule out a winter wet delivery from NJ

Since you haven't decided where in florida to keep it. I'd either truck it to Virginia..or wait for spring and take the cruise from NJ..

NJ storage fees are probably more expensive than Va. ..
Old 24-09-2011, 20:54   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
. . . You didn't say where in NJ...North or South..? If North..you might have 130 miles of ocean to navigate in a " new to you" boat. . .
New Jersey does have an Intracoastal Waterway from Manasquan Inlet to Cape May which leaves only about 30nm to do "outside" if coming from extreme northern New Jersey.
- - However, reports about the New Jersey ICW are not encouraging as to whether it is navigable the whole way.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 21:48   #14

Boat: tbd - possibly Egg Harbor 40'

Wow! I can't begin to tell you all how much we appreciate your advice and comments! My boating friend is traveling now for work so I'm forwarding links to this thread plus some others here as well. I think we might consider a delivery captain and would welcome any suggestions or referrals as well as rate info. PM me if interested too!
Old 25-09-2011, 07:11   #15
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

I bought 2 large (36') boats in the last decade. The first from NJ in 2001. The second from the Keys in 2006. I brought them both back to Charleston by water. I allowed a three week vacation each time, but planned on doing it in two. Did them in 2-4 days less than two weeks.

I could go into detail, but the end result is that those two trips are the two most memorable trips I have done.

In my mind you have two choices:
  1. Pay someone thousands of dollars to have someone move it for you (by water, truck it...)
  2. Pay about the same, or maybe a little less and have a wonderful vacation, seeing things you've never seen, learning things about your boat, navigation, etc. If you hire a captain, now you have a formal education to go along with it.

For a little write up of the first trip, go to my home page (link in my signature), second section on the left is "Boats", second link is "The Trip".

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote