Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 21:02   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Why I Hate Delaware Bay

Just a fabulous sail today.so good I adapted my plans. Originally I was to anchor in Upper chesapeake . Last stop is Bohemia river for my draft. The sailing with a new bottom is so fast I'm way ahead and can catch the tide shifts dead on.problem is once I'm through the canal I'm on the Delaware. Not a place to hang if it's nasty. Just to add things get worse gps craps out. That's okay I have a lesser spare and radar and charts. Then the wind cranks out if the south. I'm waying sleep deprevation issues. I can run the bay with paper and a gos76 beating into a south wind. Or hook down hunker up in the shut anchorage. Outside the canal.. Mow it's blowing 30 friom the south snd the tide I should have been riding is full down stream. The boat is broad side to the wind and thus waves and the current has her spun all about. At one point the rhode was strung taught with the boat pointing north and the rhode south.. It's such a easy place to get caught with no protection. Idiot let the chain get loose and now has a nice chain burn on my palm. I'm going to make zip for miles I'll be tired because I'm on anchor watch.the anchor us hopefully so buried it will take an act if god to pull it. Now I'm stern to to the wund and the anchor us taught off the bow. Much better then taught down the stud side
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Why I Hate Delaware Bay

and there are black flies
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I hope today has been better. Some better anchorages in the vicinity might be in the water west of Reedy Island or north of the C&D in the Bulkhead Shoal Channel. I find that if it is that uncomfortable at anchor it is usually better to move than to lump around all night getting no sleep.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5
and there are black flies
Yes flys oh well it's been nice today so far
Old 12-07-2011, 10:35   #5

God put the Delaware Bay there tos remind us how beautiful the Chesapeake is.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:35   #6

Ohh yes better. The hand is healing and mostly functional. Gps us up I removed the antenna connections whic were right over the engine. Thinking it got to hot. Refitted the works and then wired the spare in. About 6 am I checked my email I was up early. Bank says insufficiency funds. I'm baffled so I wait until 9 call the bank the IRS has seized my account. I'm not joking. I'm stunned so several hours on the phone IRS is oops well put it back but it will take several hours.meanwhile checks are bouncing. Soo I call everyone I wrote a check too. Explain the IRS got some idea that I made1.5 million in unreported income. Wish it were true. I thought they were reviewing their error. Apparently the review period expired and they thought I was an open ticket. 8.5 knits with a cargo of flys.
Old 12-07-2011, 17:26   #7

Actually the bay provided another beautiful sail. Anchored in cape henlopen harbor of refuge. Im irs exempt here something to do with the pope and god. and it's still light. Maybe I dont hate this bay just find it raw. I do hate these flys.
Old 13-07-2011, 15:22   #8

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

Those are greenheads. Nastiest creature on the planet.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 15:34   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

How's the Harbor of Refuse?
Old 13-07-2011, 16:06   #10

Refuse us fine it's sn easy stop before hopping off and the holding is good. Do these friggin flys every leave or us this a permanent infestation.I'm passed atlantic city now and there are quite a few that have survived my pillow bashing chemical spraying cursing fly treatment