Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 21:35   #166

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Re: Why do friends feel so entitled to come on the boat?

When I had my boat (for 40 years the last boat - 55 years total) I often had people offer "when you need crew". I responded "I sailed alone from San Francisco to Hawaii, I doubt that I'll NEED crew." And if I would like that person(s) to come on the boat I'd add "But I sometimes like company and you are one I like"."I'll call when I need company". In the four years my wife and I sailed along the Pacific coast of Mexico and in the Golfo de California we often had friends fly down to sail with us. We told them where the boat would be and it was their responsibility to get to it and back wherever. We'd go grocery shopping together. They ALWATS offered to pay. (After all they were friends, not moochers.) Acquaintances that weren't real friends usually didn't ask to come down, and when they realized that WE weren't paying they lost interest. So what we got were people we liked and wamted to be with. A win-win situation.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat