Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 16:09   #496
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Today on the VHF Radio here in La Paz, Mexico:

Unknown Voice:
Boat trying to cross sand bar, you are going to go aground. Turn around now.

Silence....

Unknown Voice:
Dud in Blue Hat, turn around now you are about to go aground

more silence....

Unknown voice:
You can't cross there either, you are about to go aground....
Back up...back up...BACK UP.

So goes another day in Paradise.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 16:11   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Today on the VHF Radio here in La Paz, Mexico:

Unknown Voice:

Boat trying to cross sand bar, you are going to go aground. Turn around now.

Silence....

Unknown Voice:

Dud in Blue Hat, turn around now you are about to go aground

more silence....

Unknown voice:

You can't cross there either, you are about to go aground....

Back up...back up...BACK UP.

So goes another day in Paradise.

Oh god. I have run aground once, apparently it happens to every sailor at least once in their lives?
caldawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 16:17   #498
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldawson View Post
Oh god. I have run aground once, apparently it happens to every sailor at least once in their lives?
Only the ones that leave the dock....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 16:22   #499

Boat: Colvic Countess 33

Quote:
I don't know what you mean
Old 03-05-2018, 17:12   #500
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
I dont know about that..
Spent 5 days aground tied to the town dock in Oriental.. then the wind shifted and I floated again.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:47   #501
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldawson View Post
I've never run aground.

Of course I have anchored with my keel a few times.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 18:03   #502

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How fortunate Ann and I have been to never encounter this deadly met feature in our twenty odd years of sailing through this area.

One can only wonder where the other two places are... we would like to avoid them, for we might not be so lucky there.

Jim
East coast of Sth America and the east coast of Africa, Both have this Particular Wind activity,

You mentioned some where that you have never encountered winds stronger than 24 knots across Bass Straight,
I have lived here all my Life, And have experienced winds far stronger than that every winter,

Its a bit more than 24 knots when it rips huge trees out of the ground,

You must have the protection of God on your side or a direct link to him,
As you never experience strong winds in Australia,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 19:06   #503

Boat: Leopard 39

I think that most of the time, responsible advice is given here. No one can make the "go" decision for anyone else.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 19:48   #504

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
East coast of Sth America and the east coast of Africa, Both have this Particular Wind activity,

You mentioned some where that you have never encountered winds stronger than 24 knots across Bass Straight,
I have lived here all my Life, And have experienced winds far stronger than that every winter,

Its a bit more than 24 knots when it rips huge trees out of the ground,

You must have the protection of God on your side or a direct link to him,
As you never experience strong winds in Australia,
Mr B,could you please find that statement for me? I'd like to retract it if I actually said that.

We have actually recently finished yet another crossing between the SE of Tasmania and Eden, and enjoyed predominantly W'ly winds between 20 and 30 knots. Lumpy at times, but quite fast travelling by our standards with long periods of >9 knots and the occasional leap into the 11's. Really glorious sailing most of the way, and I'll long remember it.

I would never say that winds don't exceed 24 knots in Bass Strait, for I'm quite capable of reading met reports and have several friends who were in the 1998 Hobart race.

My problem with your previous post was the citing of a "mini-cyclone" which you say lurks near Port Stephens most of the time. I've done a fair bit of sailing in that area and have not experienced it directly, nor has it appeared in the MSLs covering the area. You seemed to be aiming this bit of "knowledge" at a newcomer to the area, and I hate to see folks being given what seems to me to be erroneous advice when it could lead to poor decision making in their future. Yes, one does get sudden wind shifts with both frontal passages and storm cells, but that is common to the whole East coast of Oz, and many other mid latitude coasts as well.

And as to my "never experiencing strong winds in Australia"... well, we've twice had winds with gusts in the high 90s in Hobart, and prolonged gales in Port Davey with winds in the 60s, and a big thunderstorm off the Clarence with winds of around 80 (blew the roof off of the VMR building there as we sped by, a bit concerned about our well being!). My linkage with "god" is pretty tenuous in this and all other respects.

Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 20:58   #505

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mr B,could you please find that statement for me? I'd like to retract it if I actually said that.

We have actually recently finished yet another crossing between the SE of Tasmania and Eden, and enjoyed predominantly W'ly winds between 20 and 30 knots. Lumpy at times, but quite fast travelling by our standards with long periods of >9 knots and the occasional leap into the 11's. Really glorious sailing most of the way, and I'll long remember it.

I would never say that winds don't exceed 24 knots in Bass Strait, for I'm quite capable of reading met reports and have several friends who were in the 1998 Hobart race.

My problem with your previous post was the citing of a "mini-cyclone" which you say lurks near Port Stephens most of the time. I've done a fair bit of sailing in that area and have not experienced it directly, nor has it appeared in the MSLs covering the area. You seemed to be aiming this bit of "knowledge" at a newcomer to the area, and I hate to see folks being given what seems to me to be erroneous advice when it could lead to poor decision making in their future. Yes, one does get sudden wind shifts with both frontal passages and storm cells, but that is common to the whole East coast of Oz, and many other mid latitude coasts as well.

And as to my "never experiencing strong winds in Australia"... well, we've twice had winds with gusts in the high 90s in Hobart, and prolonged gales in Port Davey with winds in the 60s, and a big thunderstorm off the Clarence with winds of around 80 (blew the roof off of the VMR building there as we sped by, a bit concerned about our well being!). My linkage with "god" is pretty tenuous in this and all other respects.

Jim
Mini Cyclone, Rotating winds, Call it what you like, It does exist, And it is local to that area,
I only knew about it after my boat got wrecked on Broughton Island because of this particular wind phenonomen and watching the weather reports for the area afterwards,
Its the only place in Australia that it does occur,
Ive had a couple of locals up there contact me by PM over the years and they have said the same,
I was very astute to pick it up as not many people know about it, But the locals there do,
Just because you dont know some thing, It dont mean that it dont exist,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 23:37   #506

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Just because you dont know some thing, It dont mean that it dont exist,
Quite so, and just because YOU say something exists does not mean that it does.

I do remember the circumstances when you were wrecked. As you described it at the time, and as the Met office reports indicated, it was a thunderstorm cell embedded in a cold front, not some mysterious and rare mini-cyclone that lurks near Port Stephens.

You are welcome to believe in your meteorological rarity. I suggest that the chap heading N from Newcastle check with the Met office for advice relative to sailing conditions rather than ANY faceless internet pundit, myself included.

Jim
Old 04-05-2018, 01:52   #507

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I've never run aground.

Of course I have anchored with my keel a few times.
You didn't run aground.

You carried out an unscheduled calibration of the depth sounder....
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45   #508

Boat: Island Packet 40

Is someone implying that you slept through all 32 of those Bass Strait crossings Jim??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:46   #509

The time I spent leaving Melbourne and the little time I spent in the Bass Strait was pretty timid. As was the crossing of the rip. I was so worried about the rip before I left. I think I was lucky as I have heard it can be pretty bad. Queenscliff marina trying to get fuel was a nightmare. I hated that place. I couldnít even get my boat in, I had to run jerry cans back and fourth to get fuel, I have checked the met every time I have left and every the whole time I have been at sea and got smashed a few times, I think the most reliable source for weather is just being out there.
New castle to Queensland is going to be hard. I thought that the whole east coast was going to be a breeze. Champagne sailing as they say. But alas as I have are learned and been told the east coast is a nasty place.
Thanks for all the support guys. Please donít argue haha. Iím very young and neive I think and have a lot to learn from you experienced sailors and would love to hear your stories, or even better drink some beers with you guys and hear your tales.
caldawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 16:44   #510

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim is mostly using the Met Eye format from the met bureau, and mostly finds it more accurate than the daily forecasts.

We mostly avoid winds over 35 kn, sometimes even over 25, and that may be where someone got the idea about where and how we sail. Jim is pretty cautious and I don't like to get beat up.

It is possible on the east coast to get caught in a southerly change that arrives sooner than predicted. This usually happens when one is southbound, and the "southerly buster" is usually what accompanies an active frontal passage. The higher the winds from the northerly quadrant prior to the passage, the more likely it will be a vigorous southerly change. Looking at the MSL chart, you will see a depiction of the wind shift, and the sharper the angle and the closer the isobars the more likely it is to be vigorous. Accurate wx prediction is tricky, and we're lucky it is now as good as it is.

Northbound, if you're going in day hops, no reason you can't have your champagne after you're snug in the anchorage. Or, you can hop on a southerly change and ride it as far as it'll take you. Since you're not a long term cruiser yet, I suggest you take time and explore, don't push yourself. The whole east coast can be done in day hops, some longer than others. If you try over-nighters, let me warn you, I find them the most tiring of all sailing, except for storms. When you cross oceans, you get into your watch schedule, your body accommodates, and you should be able to get more than enough rest. Coastal cruising is where all the hard bits are, and you must have continual vigilance, northbound, because the route is close inshore, and trying to catch the back eddies under the headlands, then tuck back in to avoid the EAC. Just pick easy day hops, so you're not struggling into the anchorages with the sun going down in your eyes. If you don't have it, get hold of Alan Lucas' Cruising The New South Wales Coast, and there's one for Qld, as well.

One place along the way we've enjoyed exploring was the Clarence River, and you can work your way clear to Grafton, just be sure to check on the bridge openings, first, when you arrive in Iluka.

You guys will soon find out what you like best.

Ann

Tags
enc