Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2019, 00:25   #271

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: When neighboring boat disagrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Mk 1 eyeball, the area covered with the wandering of the vessel during tidal changes and lastly the distance they needed to move forward to retrieve the anchor on departure.

You're telling me you're waiting for a tidal change to assess the scope of some other vessel?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 01:34   #272

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
You're telling me you're waiting for a tidal change to assess the scope of some other vessel?
Don't anchor much do you? Anchor for a few days in one place keeping an eye on the surroundings and you will work it out.

Out of curiosity how would you assess the scope of another vessel if asking failed to reveal a satisfactory answer?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 03:01   #273

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Don't anchor much do you? Anchor for a few days in one place keeping an eye on the surroundings and you will work it out.

Out of curiosity how would you assess the scope of another vessel if asking failed to reveal a satisfactory answer?
you can track it on radar...
Acquire target.. watch the trail when swinging...
Old 28-03-2019, 03:47   #274

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The real problem with yachts is that you will never be able to prove who dragged. People will lie.

They do. I find that many people don't make rational decisions instead acting out of emotion or impulse. This can look like lying but is worse as the person believes what they are saying.

To wit, a boat anchored a couple of hundred feet in front of me - plenty of room. The wind came up later in the day and they started to drag back towards me. Shortly I saw a lot of activity on deck which I presumed to me they were dealing with the problem. *sigh* As they got closer I wandered up to the bow and the owner of the other boat raced to his stern and started yelling that *I* was dragging and was going to hit them. Calmly pointing out that they were upwind of me put no dent in his assurance that I was dragging upwind (and upcurrent as it happens). They ultimately did retrieve their anchor and motor away with ongoing arm-waving and shouting. I think it is likely to this day the owner is convinced that I was the one dragging and he was "done wrong." *grin* People ... not a fan. *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think you can actually. Take a time / date stamped photo of your chart plotter or whatever you have that visually depicts your movement.

Strongly agree. One of the beauties of a chart plotter is turning on a track and zooming way in. Best anchor alarm ever. Also, as you say, a record.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 04:15   #275
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If your perception is indeed reality, (and none of us can know for sure) then I’d thank him for his thoughts, offer yours, and be done with it. I’d try to do it cordially, and I might even invite him over for a beer, but it sounds like you are fine and he should chill.

If he truly thinks you are too close, while you do not, then he could move.

Personally, I’d seek out other anchorages to begin with. What you describe holds no appeal to me.
I agree mostly with Mike.

Knowledge is often a favoured gift to ease a mind.
Eg you could call out your combination such as, "we are on sand with 20lb Delta 8mil proof and laden 2 tonne, we'll hold, tide floods at 0100 hours, alarm wakes at 0200 hours, sleeping again at 0300 hours, forecast south west light, what combination have yea? What is our quarrel?"
You might chance making a new friends or put up with another Dragon story. Lol
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 16:44   #276

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:

Ah, you anchor first for a few days to assess how much scope the other vessel(s) has/have put out, then you adjust your position. I'm not sure if that solves the problem of where to drop the hook (safely) initially?

Quote:
Well, that's one of the main points the last 19 pages were going on about. It's obviously not that easy nor clear cut, that's why I questioned the applicability of your original response.
Ho harm meant nor done, mate.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:54   #277

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Ah, you anchor first for a few days to assess how much scope the other vessel(s) has/have put out, then you adjust your position. I'm not sure if that solves the problem of where to drop the hook (safely) initially?[/B]

Well, that's one of the main points the last 19 pages were going on about. It's obviously not that easy nor clear cut, that's why I questioned the applicability of your original response.
Ho harm meant nor done, mate.
Sort of a fair comment I guess. Personally I find a spot that I believe will be ok, anchor accordingly to suit the location and check regularly for a few hours to ensure that no movement has occured and that any neighbouring boats are still in the same position relative to me. Depending on the tide, it will be obvious within six hours weather any neighbour has a conflicting swing, if there appears to be conflict then I am more than likely to move sufficiently to eliminate this. I tend to find an anchorage that I like and hang around for a day or four
If I had radar then it would indeed be a useful tool to check a neighbouring boats swing, however I don't and don't see the need to acquire it.
Cheers.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat