Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 06:28   #1

What's your worst guest/crew experience?

Hey guys

Writing a blog post about the nightmare sailing can be with the wrong people.

Anyone got some funny stories to tell about messy sailors, knowitalls or head-hoggers, please share
MargotJefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: What's your worst guest/crew experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargotJefferson View Post
Hey guys

Writing a blog post about the nightmare sailing can be with the wrong people.

Anyone got some funny stories to tell about messy sailors, knowitalls or head-hoggers, please share
pretty much always had great crew,it's the boat owners that can be a nightmare
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:48   #3

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

First and only post is this?
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:06   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodlmffao.. cannot relay so many stories here...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

One wouldn't leave... forcing me to marry her.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:57   #6

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Two granddaughters who fought constantly and were outraged at the thought that they'd have to eat "boat food" (what we cook aboard).

Both are now certified divers, one graduates from HS this year and the other wants to come cruise with us, on our terms.

Could be worse ☺
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:04   #7

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

When dealing with a young couple as crew, machismo has come up a few times.

A young sailor standing with the back of his head inches from the clew of a flogging jib, his hands balled into fists, because he is angered with himself for making a small mistake.

All because his lady was watching.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:24   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 410

I had an alcoholic crew with me on a passage from USVI to Florida. I was aware that he had a problem but he was the only crew available. I told him no drinking while underway but allowed him to bring a bottle of rum "for his mother" in Ft. Lauderdale which was stowed with my liquor in an unlocked compartment. He did not appear under the influence on the passage but when we reached Florida I realized (after he had disembarked) that most of my supply was missing and I never saw him remove the "gift" for his mother.
pschleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:28   #9

Lengthy subject - however remember if you start a trip as crew and you find the captain intolerable you can jump ship. For example- Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda and you can not work with the captain. Upon arrival leave and go to customs and inform them you are leaving the boat.

The point in this long story of mine is when we decided to leave the boat it was after customs check and we were on the hook. Capt would not take us to the hard so we flagged down another boat and he helped get us in.

We are at customs, capt arrives and customer tells him 'IT IS THE CAPTAIN'S RESPONSIBILITY TO REPATRIATE CREW TO LAST PORT! I think this is a international law ? Needless to say he was pissed!!!!!!!!

So we got 2 one way tickets to FL, spent a week on the island and relaxed and had to leave due to the overbooking were we were because of the NP to Bermuda race. There is more but Captains and crew should be aware of this detail !
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

She's digging for dirt...funny. How about a charter captain who blows the engine and then is mad at you for an oily bilge? Or crew that drive straight for the rocks because " my route is quicker and I have to be home ". All to true and stranger than fiction
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:40   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I took my wife, my 2 kids, my sister-in law, her husband, and their two kids sailing with me on a fine summer day. They have come down for one night to visit from a nearby city. As always, I made the rules perfectly clear...I'm responsible for the boat, the other adults are responsible for their own kids.

Long story short, the other adults were preoccupied with themselves while the kids were playing below. The cabin doors have a little hole for your finger, to release the latch, to open the door. The kids were peeking at each other through the hole, laughing their heads off. One cousin pulls the swatter part off a fly swatter and jams the pointy metal stick through the hole, right into the other cousin's eye.

I'm on deck, the sailing is excellent, we are 5 km from our home dock. The inlaws rush below to tend to their kid. I'm on deck, steering, have no idea whats going on below. No one below knows what to do or will tell me anything...they all just clam up. I'm wondering if I should call a mayday for medical evac, but can't get an adult below to talk to me. I alter course for a closer marina, and press the boat for full speed. We are flying on a broad reach, faster than the engine would move us. Below they are now getting sea sick.

We finally reach the marina, and I jump the queue at the service dock and force my way alongside. We get the injured boy ashore to a first aid station near the service dock. His whole family gets in a cab to the hospital. Still, I have no idea what happened at that point. We leave the dock and sail back to our home dock.

At the hospital they had to "stitch" his eye, and it was saved. However, he could not travel, so his entire family stays with me another whole week before they could go home...a very grim week to say the least.

The saddest part of the story is that the sailing that day was the best I have ever experienced with guests aboard. But no one seemed to care about sailing at all (before the accident)...too wrapped up in their own selves to notice what was going on around them. "is this my drink?","does this hat look nice?","what kind of sunblock should I use?" If any of them had shown the least interest in sailing, or what was happenning around them, the whole incident might have been avoided.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45   #12

Boat: Tartan30

I was skipper on a large chattered power boat. The charter party was just one guy and his Girl. His in at ructions were for me to get offshore, get her up on plane and stay that way.
I do that while the couple has sex in every space and on every surface on the boat.
The bad part was the boat had a bathtub. They had filled it, had sex in it , then left it full to slosh nearly all the water out as we pounded the waves. Both heads were jammed full and soapy water flew everywhere in the main cabin. Took me days to get it all cleaned up. The tip was pretty good though
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Oh sorry...forgot its supposed to be a funny story....let me try again:

So I'm sailing with my two young kids (4 and 6 years old) on my C&C25 for a few nights int he thousand islands. We are at a quiet anchorage. I had spent some time teaching my kids to be really careful because there is no one there to help us if we get hurt. I tell them how careful I AM because I'm the only adult, with 2 little kids in my care.

So later, after swimming, we are below, and I'm setting up the DVD player for them. And, like a dummy, a smack my head on the overhead beam of the bulkhead between the main cabin and the head. I smack it hard. It makes a loud "thwack" sound. I think I might pass out...so, wanting to give some valuable instructions to my kids before I pass out, I say "Oh great, now I'm dead". As I collapse onto a bunk, they start laughing uncontrollably. Belly laughs till tears are rolling down their faces. I guess after all my talk about being careful, the idea of me cracking my own head open was just hilarious to them. 20 minutes of laughing later, I'm still checking my head for concussion, and they still think its hilarious. Fortunately, I was alright.

BTW, The first thing I taught my kids on the boat was how to call a mayday on the VHF. I always leave it on 16, and they just have to PTT. I tell them if something happens to me, thats a mayday. We had a serious discussion later, about if I had really hurt my head. The irony was that I was hurt below, when nothing was going on...not during the difficult sail to the anchorage in 20 knot winds, not during an accidental gybe, or while anchoring or raising/lowering the heavy outboard.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:34   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

There are many pleasures offered by sailing and having guests aboard is one of the best for me. I've never had a bad guest experience.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:35   #15

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Tags
crew, enc