Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: What Is the Funniest Time You Have Run Aground ?

Bluestocking, with a keel flat that is 12ft long, and tapers from 20" to 4", was middle boat with 2 trawler yachts. 2000hrs Sundat night, they leave to go home, and only then did I notice that we were showing an extra 6" of bottom paint.
We were in a very quiet place, and 4 hrs later we were afloat and went home.
She stood there like a palace sentry with no steadying lines necessary.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

A mate was driving, it was a Quintrex centre console around 14ft powered by a 40hp outboard. We were honking up a long mangrove lined creek at about 25knots, left right left right the mangrove branches whipping as we went by (crazy stuff!!)..

Trouble was he lefted instead of righting and we ended up high and dry in the mangroves, fortunate the tide was low with 6 metres to rise!!!!!

His expression was priceless :-)
Old 15-04-2012, 17:14   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I was day sailing with a friend in Boston Harbor on his club's Albin Cumulus and we were joking about a guy who had run aground in Lower Middle and had to pay hundreds of dollars to get towed off. About 15 seconds later we ran aground (not in Lower Middle-- on the other side). So we called Sea Tow, but just as the tow boat arrived we managed to free ourselves (tide was coming up).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 17:29   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Bluestocking, with a keel flat that is 12ft long, and tapers from 20" to 4", was middle boat with 2 trawler yachts. 2000hrs Sundat night, they leave to go home, and only then did I notice that we were showing an extra 6" of bottom paint.
We were in a very quiet place, and 4 hrs later we were afloat and went home.
She stood there like a palace sentry with no steadying lines necessary.
I've seen similar, alhough I bet'cha tiptoed around on the centerline !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 17:49   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Everytime I've run aground it was on a rising tide. Not funny, but felt blessed. Unlike the skipper/owner of this sailboat long stuck in the middle of Suisun Bay.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:32   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

A long short version about not spearfishing in the Bahamas after 3 PM.My buddy and his wife left Nassau eary morning en route to Little Whale Key in the Berry'sAltogether 4 boats together.We arrived around noon and got in my buddys 9 ft whaler,as we were heading out another sailor told us beware of sharks,we're thing Nurse Sharks and are very use to them.To cut thru the chase we were spear fishing and had 8 people to feed we got GREEDY after colleting 10 or so Bugs and 3 good sized Nassau gropers 3:30 rolled around my buddy spotted a large Nassau Groper 8 lbs or so he motioned he was ging to spear it we were in about 12 ft of water.He hit the Grouper no kill it took off behind a head hid itself so only the spear was sticking out,we came up for air and I,went down and shot it in the head still grunting for all it was worth but not giving up my buddy goes to the Dink which his wife is running and retrives a thrid spear with a barb we go down and he shoots the barb into the fish 3 spears no fish still behind the head,right about now Jaws shows up with his buddy a 6 FT plus Barracuda.We both get back to the dink ASAP.Big problem all our spears are in the fish.My buddy throws the anchor as we are on the bank drifting,Guess what he hits the Shark who is trying to get the Grouper,Here we go just like Moby Dick shark got tangled in the anchor line water coming over the bow and his wife yelling cut the line no knife after 3or4 minutes of this the shark got free,we did a search and founf the Grouper still behind the head with our spears,we anchored again no Shark this time,dove to retrive our spears,as I,was bringing the 3rd one up here came Jaws,not a Nurse a Bull,he now has our 3rd spear and the Grouper who knows.Later it became so Funny maybe the Rum helped that I,remember it with a smile.Don't go spear fishing after 3
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:50   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I have two funny ones. The first one happened when I took a young lady out for an afternoon sail. She saw some boats sitting right up the beach and wanted to go look. I told her it was too shallow but she insisted. So we ended up on the beach.

The funny part was when she asked how we get off again? I told her i'd take the anchor out and drop it, then watch to make sure it bit while she put the rode around the halliard winch and started to crank.... and crank. and crank.

The second time was a couple years later. I had sailed to Kingston Ontario with my girlfriend and met my old high school buddy Ian and his lady Darcia. During the course of the evening we made a date for the next day to go fishing near the 3 Brothers Island.

We go there fine, and Terri and I jumped over to do some swimming and scrubbing the bottom while Ian fished. Darcia (who was not a small girl at the best of times) sat in the cockpit eating. I parked the hook up on the beach, and we started scrubbing. What I didn't realize was that the boat drifted closer to shore and bottomed out on the shingle. Of course once Terri and I got back on board we were truly stuck.

It ended up with Terri and I in the water, Ian in the dinghy, and Darcia hanging off the shrouds to impart some listing while I heaved back on the stem.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 22:41   #23

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Mt wife and I went sailing with our good friend, Paul. Paul owned the Sailing Center. He had invited another friend who was the head of the Harbor Patrol in the neighboring port. I had won many races in that bay, and my wife had done 2 years of search and rescue at the Coast Guard station there. We were qualified.
As we were tacking out of the very narrow inlet we bumped into the mud. No problem, we're qualified. We backed the jib and tried to swing the nose around but that just pushed us up onto the mud farther. I climbed out the boom (I'm the fatass) to help heel us, lost my grip and dropped one foot into the water. Everybody's watching by now. We threw out a kedge anchor but it didn't fly very far and we repeatedly pulled the muddy chunk back on deck, no joy. Some guy in a skiff tried to pull us out, nothing. Eventually we combined all the approaches. We had the skiff guy haul our kedge out far enough that it would bite and between everyone's weigh on one rail, winching against the anchor, me out on the boom, and 2 skiffs pulling, we got free. We sailed triumphantly away, a muddy 45 minutes later.