Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58   #226

I truly am one of the lucky ones. I told my wife when we began dating 30 years ago, that if she did not want to be around sailboats and sailing, then she did not want to be around me. That was 30 years ago. She is just as passionate about sailing and cruising our Tartan 34 if not more than me. I knew it back then, that I could not survive without sailing in my life....and I truly am one of the luckiest SOB's in the world!!
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02   #227

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
I truly am one of the lucky ones. I told my wife when we began dating 30 years ago, that if she did not want to be around sailboats and sailing, then she did not want to be around me. That was 30 years ago. She is just as passionate about sailing and cruising our Tartan 34 if not more than me. I knew it back then, that I could not survive without sailing in my life....and I truly am one of the luckiest SOB's in the world!!
Common boys......let's lynch him!!!!!
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:56   #228
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
LYNCH HIM? Let's clone his wife!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22   #229

Lynching????

OK, then.......a cloning as long as she's clonable, then a lynching!!!

(but wait.....what if we're cloning a big bertha??) maybe a cloning, a lynching, then another lynching if needed?)
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58   #230

Boat: we don't need no steenking boat-we walk on water...
From my perspective, not yet owning a boat, but planning to get one in the next few years, I can compare this to motorcycles.

Bikes, like boats, are in my blood (had power boats years ago) and many, if not most women either don't want anything to do with bikes (they're dangerous!) or they are looking for the "bad boy" image with a certain brand of motorcycle.
Anyone ever seen that in women and sailboats? That is, ya gotta have a certain brand? I hope not!

Sorry, not doing the "lifestyle image" thing, I have my bikes to RIDE, not to pose. ya gotta make a decision-ya want me for who I am or ya don't want me at all.

Must be why I'm still single after getting divorced 25 years ago.
And I'm not complaining because I would probably be complaining more by conforming. She would be, too.
Old 08-01-2009, 13:34   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
From my perspective, not yet owning a boat, but planning to get one in the next few years, I can compare this to motorcycles.

Bikes, like boats, are in my blood (had power boats years ago) and many, if not most women either don't want anything to do with bikes (they're dangerous!) or they are looking for the "bad boy" image with a certain brand of motorcycle.
Anyone ever seen that in women and sailboats? That is, ya gotta have a certain brand? I hope not!

Sorry, not doing the "lifestyle image" thing, I have my bikes to RIDE, not to pose. ya gotta make a decision-ya want me for who I am or ya don't want me at all.

Must be why I'm still single after getting divorced 25 years ago.
And I'm not complaining because I would probably be complaining more by conforming. She would be, too.
My sentiments exactly.............I have owned all kinds of bikes.....gixxers to 1700cc cruisers and I am a sailor...........love sailing. Call me when you have a boat or you have a bike to lend me. I am a rare bird LOL
Old 10-01-2009, 15:03   #232
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Wow...You guys are a tough crowd...

I have given up several things I loved to do just because I love her so much..one is Hunting, and I use to live for it...And If crossing an ocean to a distant shore is totaly out of the relm of things my sweetie ever learns to get comfortable with I will readly give that dream up too.

Not trying to beat my own drum here or sound preachy but IMHO you guys havent found your true loves yet...nothing...absolutly nothing is as important to me as mine...My hope to anyone looking is you truly someday find yours...for me its 22 years and getting better each day.

Happy new Year everybody
Its understandable that some would prefer to be told how to live their lives and not choose themselves. From childhood we are given school for several hours a day, then hours of homework, then organised activities after that , making damned sure we never get the chance to ever learn how to make our own decisions as to how we want to spend our time . This seems to be social engineering to make us robotic , unquestioning "Good Employees", all for the benefit of someone other than ourselves. Given a lifetime of progamming, its amazing that anyone breaks out of the effect, and starts to make their own choices.
I'm reminded of my early 20's when I went drinking with a friend . We ended up in a bar with his friends who were accountants, insurance salesmen, etc. When I heard them say "When I get a day off I can't wait to get back to work. I don't know what do do with myself." I was horrified at the thought of ever getting into that frame of mind and control by others.
Another friend in Bora Bora was at the airport when a plane load of tourists came in . He watched them being lined up like six year old school boys and told exactly what they would be doing for every day they were there. He said "It's sad, but a substantial segment of the human population has to be told what to do, or they are lost. "
I remember a Dave Allen skit, in which a commander was telling his soldiers" Always remember. I am the brain, you are the body." When he was shot , his soldiers immediately ran around in circles like mindless robots.
People who have to be told what to do , don't belong out cruising anyway.No body out here to tell them what to do. Can't have that now can we?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 16:50   #233

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I do choose how to live my life...I choose to live it with her ....above anything else..that was my only point.. and you missed it...

She does not tell me what to do...therefore I choose to please her.

She will come around..and already has...we have the boat right? and she is sailing right? I am patient..and persistent in working within someones limitations guiding and testing progress.

For me years of a cruising life now without her is pale compared to life anywhere with her...Someday I believe the two will meet but I will let it be in her terms not mine...that is not someone telling you what to do that is loving someone enough to not have to be told.

That is the love I wished only for thoes looking...your milage may very.

The OP has not that kind of love or this thread would have not been started..to him I say go now ..I wasent speaking to him in my response..

PS: Look over on the "what is the breed of your dog" thread..Im no door mat.....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 18:41   #234
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
People who have to be told what to do , don't belong out cruising anyway.No body out here to tell them what to do. Can't have that now can we?
The good thing about Women is you get to try the wrong ones before you find the right one. And if lucky that includes some bad ones and if really lucky one of the bad ones turns out to be the right one

For mine I gave up industrial scale drinking and womanising*. Not only because it seemed polite but because I chose to as she had changed my dreams and hopes for the future and it was both no longer interesting nor even important. I am sure that I also made some other choices, but I forget

In my book their is a big difference between choosing to live your life with another (and realising this requires putting into the pot as well as taking out of. continuosly) or being pussy whipped .

To my mind the western Divorce thing is largely down to too many men marrying...........their girlfreinds (& vice verce of course ). If a fella ever finds his wife, my advice is.........to marry her

* Not always (hardly ever? ) successfully
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 19:13   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

To my mind the western Divorce thing is largely down to too many men marrying...........their girlfreinds (& vice verce of course ). If a fella ever finds his wife, my advice is.........to marry her
Marriage is the number one cause of divorce - Be careful out there.

Dating advice - First date sailing. Second date sailing. If there is a third date, keep repeating.

No movies, no shopping, no expensive dinners.

Ok - a shopping trip to the chandlery should be arranged around date number 5.

When she gets to the point she loves the boat more than you, marry her.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 16:32   #236
cruiser

Aristotle said " A man who marrys a good wife lives happily ever after, a man who marrys a bad wife;becomes a philosopher.'
I've heard such comments from many. After they regain their freedom they say " I said that? Man, was I naive, and under her absolute control."
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 17:16   #237

Not finding Captain Bligh

Give me a gentle man, small in stature, fun in moral values, an adventurer and a kind soul. Try and find that.....impossible.
Old 12-01-2009, 20:35   #238
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Excuse me if I am being too bold, but......(Ahem) Here I am!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 21:06   #239

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
lose that girly

It don't get much better than bein young single with the boat. All girls you meet want to come lay out.

Boat + Sun + Bikinis + Wine =

Been said so many times, there are plenty o' fish. And fishin's always better from the ol' boat.

Cheers

Bill
Old 13-01-2009, 00:01   #240

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Give me a gentle WOman, small in stature, fun in moral values, an adventurer and a kind soul. Try and find that.....impossible.
Sure your not a man.

Thats all any man wants

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote