Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2008, 10:59   #1

What if chasing the dream means you have to give up a relationship?

I've always wanted to incorporate sailing into a business or at least a long term crusing lifestyle. My girlfriend is great in so many ways, but has pretty much decided that she wouldn't like sailing for more than a week at a time, is more "land based", has claustrophobia, and can't see herself living on a sailboat. She loves me too, but seems like we're coming to an impasse. Is chasing the dream worth losing a relationship?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:02   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
I've always wanted to incorporate sailing into a business or at least a long term crusing lifestyle. My girlfriend is great in so many ways, but has pretty much decided that she wouldn't like sailing for more than a week at a time, is more "land based", has claustrophobia, and can't see herself living on a sailboat. She loves me too, but seems like we're coming to an impasse. Is chasing the dream worth losing a relationship?
The reply is too short but it is;

Yes.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
ayup - and I have the three ex-g/fs to prove it.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:20   #4
Kai Nui

That decision is very personal, and I would never venture to advise you on what is right for you. I will say that cruising is as fulfilling a lifestyle as any relationship I have ever had. This may or may not be the case for you.
Old 28-03-2008, 11:29   #5

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Follow your Bliss

That is a hard decision and ultimately one that only you can make.

My feelings are that since this is something you've always wanted to do, it's what you should do. If you give up your dream and stay with the girl, you will always resent it and her. Have you asked yourself why she would want you to give up your dream? Why do you have to give up what you want and she doesn't?

Relationships come and go, but dreams, if they are true dreams, will last.

That's probably not what you want to hear, but unless she is willing to see you happy and make some compromises, I think you would be happier in the long run if you follow your dream without her.

And this is coming from a girl!
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:32   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
DO YOU WANT TO LIVE YOUR LIFE WITH WHAT IF'S? Been there, and done that. Finally got one that goes where ever the boat goes
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:48   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Tough choice and one I never wanted to make. I always made it a prerequisite that anyone I was dating had to like the water and sailing. I lucked out. Although not the case with me, I do know a few fellows whose girlfriends "loved" sailing until they got a gold ring.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:54   #8

What is your level of experience with long term cruising? Is this still a dream or have you lived it and know that cruising is the lifestyle you want? People split up over lifestyle differences all the time, I wouldn't sweat it. But, maybe keep an open mind until you are totally sure.
Old 28-03-2008, 11:54   #9

Boat: 1978 Formosa, Yankee Clipper 41'
Send a message via AIM to Capt Roy Send a message via MSN to Capt Roy
Ultimately you are the only one who can make this decision. Speaking for myself the answer is easy, YES!

In the process of following your dream and staying true to yourself you will meet someone that not only will love you but also will embrace the cruising lifestyle and enhance your experiences.

Walking away from your dream will be something you will regret for a lifetime and as someone else stated, “you will come to resent it and her.”

Follow your heart and everything will fall into place.

Smooth Sailing

Roy
S/V Knight Hawk Home
Capt Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 12:41   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Is chasing the dream worth losing a relationship?

Yes. Ditch her.

She will never let you have fun if you drag her along.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:21   #11
Kai Nui

Consider this. Picture 10 years down the road. You are having an argument with you wife (current girl friend). She is telling you all that is wrong with you, and then it happens. You tell how much she has taken from you because you gave up cruising for her. It might never happen, but relationships should always be built on shared dreams, or those dreams will eventually divide you.
Old 28-03-2008, 13:34   #12

Boat: Endeavour E40
SELFISH !!!!!!
The ONLY explanation for her wanting you to dump your dream and stay "ashore" with her............
Unfortunetly, she's NOT a part of your dream, she's a ROAD-BLOCK!
The "key" here is, NO RING !!!!!

"Lots of fish in the sea"!
What's wrong finding an "island" girl, there's lots of 'em that would love to be sailing!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:39   #13

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
SailingWoo,
I can not advise you on what to do. I got married, dreamed many dreams, and had to create ways to acheive some dreams. A liveaboard sailboat was one dream.. I have decided to sail solo and have her fly in to places of interest. She will do small sheltered one or two week trips then fly home. For my anticipated transatlantic voyage, I will sail solo if necessary and fly her to Europe. Because I married before the sailing dream, I will not break the relationship now. Life is full of decisions. This is your decision.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:59   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
She may change her mind also. I've been married 17 years, had the dream before marrage, and still do. Family, career, and life prevents me from living it. Last year I told my wife I was leaving for a 2 year period when my children graduate from high school. She can come or not. For 6 months she avoided the topic until I flew to the boat show">Miami boat show to check out boats. Now she knows I'm serious and wants details. I see it working out like Scallywag. She will join me when she can. Maybe more.
There are a lot of fish in the sea, but finding one you trully love and loves you back is pretty rare.
Have you taken her for a week of chartering?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 13:59   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

I think if you have to ask, then you already know your answer......but for the right person the answer is also obvious. Nothing wrong with Dreams changing.

Of course you could be wrong But that's life
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote