Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 20:22   #46

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: What have you heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
We were heading south from the canaries, about 40 miles offshore from Africa. I was on night watch alone. The wind was up and there were whitecaps. I thought I saw something floating as we passed quickly. It was close to the boat. It might have been a dead body. Or a piece of styrafoam. Or just a freaky whitecap. Or a floating dead body. It was past in an instant. An instant I'll never forget.

While working in Nigeria I saw a number of male corpses dressed in their Sunday best caught in the eddy at our office dock. The lagoon dumped into the ocean a few miles further on.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 10-10-2015, 22:21   #47
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Crossing Carpentaria pitch dark and very bumpy I noticed the echo going nuts then steadily going 60ft ... 45ft ... 30ft ... At 15 ft I broke and just shouted to my mate: "brace for impact!". The echo went 10 ft then locked up.

I think it was just turbulent water layers due to strong tidals. Just do not ask me how real scared I was.

And also voices - on our last trans Atlantica. Choirs, rock bands, etc.

b.
Yep...Carpentaria was the strangest crossing. We had no idea that the deepest it gets is about 100 ft. Most of the time it is only 60 ft deep. So, in the middle of nowhere, there will be huge oil tankers anchored hundreds of miles from shore just waiting for the spot price on oil to change. I think we counted a half dozen supertankers just sitting on anchor far from sight of land.

At the very nothern tip of Wessel Islands is a unique spot too. The cross flow from the two bodies of water that come across the top of the island produce a vortex that drills a hole in the bottom of the sea floor. So, the water depth goes from 50ft to over 400ft deep and the hole is only 100 yards across! It is seriously strange.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 14:14   #48

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I know mermaidese... Well ... The hot mermaid kind... I don't understand anything the beluga/manatee impersonators are saying...

I use this for my tinnitus at night to sleep... Other good one's there too!
Thanks for that. Very soothing. My boat was a ketch with keel stepped masts so would creak a little at the least provocation.
Old 07-11-2015, 19:31   #49

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I 'm restarting this thread.

On our trip from Marathon to the Bahamas my wife and I had a pretty bad crossing. When we finally got the anchor down on the banks it was about 3 AM. I could have sworn I was hearing voices. I could not quite make out what they were saying but there were a lot of them. I was fatigued but I can usually stay awake for days on only one hour sleep [here and there] which I had gotten.

A week later or so I said to my wife that I had been hearing voices that night and she say she had too!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote