Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 05:07   #136

Re: Well, key west is a dump...moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Pashaw... you spend too much time on Bourbon Street. It is a bit better over on Royal.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's funny, I was visiting my mother last week and we started talking about living in the French Quarter and how it had changed between when she lived there and when I did. She lived on Louisa street, back in the early 50's when she was attending Tulane. I lived on Madison Street in the early 90's when I was assigned there.

We both agreed that the Quarter is a fun places to live for a while, but not really the kind of place you want to live your whole life. Friends who have lived in Key West tell me the same thing about it. A good friend who lived in Key West for fifteen years, finally moved away a few years ago. She said it just wasn't the same as when she got there and she just didn't enjoy it any more.

When I was younger, I wanted to live in Key West and seriously considered it (where I worked had an opening there I could have had). On my last trip there, though, I decided I was over that idea.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:12   #137

Re: Well, Key West is a dump... moving on

DAY-UM! Just did a driving tour of Florida from Melbourne ( where I went to college back in 1975) south to Key West and then back up the west coast.... Naples to St Pete/Tampa.

A LOT has changed in 40 years and I'm sorry to say, I didn't like the changes. There were NO beachfront hotels and condos in Melbourne when I lived there, now?.... a lot. Jupiter, which back in the day had 5000 or so folks, now has 80,000 with a new development being built for 10,000 more. I'm sure this is the case in much of Florida.

As to Key West?.....wow. TWO docked cruise ships disgorging thousands of tourists daily it appears. Nightlife was fun for a couple of days, but that's about it.

Moving on...
Old 16-12-2015, 08:37   #138

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Key West is the appendix of the US. Being the farthest south, with the nicest weather means it will always have some element of derelict. People buy boats with the dream of sailing off. They get to Key West and either run out of money or loose the courage to jump south, then run out of money. Same thing seems to happen on the road, they head south in a car and run out of money after arriving. It is what it is..

Some positives to Key West.
-It has one of the best and most affordable DIY boat yards in south Florida (Robbies boat yard).
-Once you get past the tourists, the locals are friendly an helpful.
-Easy sail to Dry Tortugas.
-Nightlife
-Weather
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 17:31   #139

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot

Live here in Key West FYI some of the islands off KW have the most beautiful turquoise water I.e. Woman Key etc. But feel free to message me for the cool local and not to miss spots on land. You will find the most talented musicians and some of the finest restaurants and they aren't necessarily on Duval
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 11:31   #140

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
Live here in Key West FYI some of the islands off KW have the most beautiful turquoise water I.e. Woman Key etc. But feel free to message me for the cool local and not to miss spots on land. You will find the most talented musicians and some of the finest restaurants and they aren't necessarily on Duval

Ever since the Full Moon Saloon closed in '93, it just hasnt been the same in Key West!.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 22:50   #141

Boat: Beneteau 473

One perspective:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...g-florida-keys

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west