Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 06:37   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Weird sudden loss of 12V DC.

Good you were able to cope OK. It always a scramble when the boat goes dark. It’s also always at a bad time. We lost all power Jolly Harbor to English Harbor beating through the reef. We always have Navionics running on an IPAD as backup. It’s a good hand check under way as well.

In our case a jumper in the middle of the new battery bank failed. We have two large house banks so a switch and re-boot restored operations.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 07:03   #47

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

So glad you made it home safely. I have my own harrowing tales of being stuck in that bay and your post just brought back some memories.
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 07:46   #48

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

It's easy to become over reliant on the electronics.

I've done this for practice.

Blank the chartplotter screen, and steered by sun, and landmarks, towers on the coast.

And steered like that for a couple hours, then checked to see how far off course.

And I consider a working compass critical equipment on any floating craft, including a cheap pocket compass duct taped to my dinghy.

And today phones, and notebooks provide effective backups, and have their own batteries.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:20   #49

Not unless the electronics are within 3 or so feet of the compass. Even if the compass was being impacted by the electronics there wouldn't be a very big difference. Finally if you are worried swing the compass with them on and off, then note the difference
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:44   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Who needs paper? I always bring my cell phone with Navionics on deliveries, and never let it get below 80% charged. I am having an ongoing discussion with the Navionics techs about a longer averaging time on the cell phone GPS derived SOG and COG, which bounce around too much for my taste on a Samsung S21.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 15:30   #51

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

I have been on several boats where the battery master switches failed. It is more common than people think and seeing boats loaded up with them with overly complicated electric systems gives me shivers.

On one boat I saw, the switch was not letting enough power through the worn (or burnt) contacts and the switch was getting so hot it had charred the wood on the bulkhead where it was mounted. This had obviously been happening a long time and only when components failed to operate did the problem show up to the skipper. In my opinion, they should be checked once in awhile to make sure full voltage is passing through them under load or a resistance test performed. Any long term cruising boat should carry a spare.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 23:51   #52

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
because good smartphone catch all satellite for navigation + A-GPS
A-GPS , draws its information ...
That isn't how A-GPS works. The only contribution of cell towers to A-GPS is that the known location (by and transmitted by the tower) of the tower is used as a seed to the GPS location algorithms to speed initial location acquisition. Once the GPS has a position based entirely on the satellites the algorithms use the latest satellite-derived position as the seed for the next round of calculations. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS .
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 04:20   #53

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

You should of course - apart from your smartphone - think about the hand held bearing compass you have in the nav table. And even a compass equipped pair of binoculars could be used in an emergency.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 06:37   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusnz View Post
I have been on several boats where the battery master switches failed. It is more common than people think and seeing boats loaded up with them with overly complicated electric systems gives me shivers.

On one boat I saw, the switch was not letting enough power through the worn (or burnt) contacts and the switch was getting so hot it had charred the wood on the bulkhead where it was mounted.
Interesting. This makes me wonder how many skippers first switch off the master DC breaker etc so that there's little or no current when the battery switch is changed. It seems that to many skippers, the battery switch IS the master switch.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 07:24   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Interesting. This makes me wonder how many skippers first switch off the master DC breaker etc so that there's little or no current when the battery switch is changed. It seems that to many skippers, the battery switch IS the master switch.
I would think battery switches are make before break in order to preclude arcing with a load. The excepting might be one battery bank being stone cold dead allowing arcing and in that case the burnt contacts would be on the dead battery side and would be noticed when switching back.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 08:22   #56

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes, the battery switch (Off, 1, Both, 2) on my Marinetics Master Control Panel is the master switch, and the only switch, for all DC power including starting amperage, alternator output, house loads, solar, and windlass.

It's been in use on my vessel for 43 years, it's inspected periodically and the terminals show no sign of heat or arching. Of course I can't see inside the switch, but I think it is fine.

I wonder why other switches fail?
Old 23-10-2021, 13:12   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
You might consider a tablet back up for navigation purposes.

https://sailingkerguelen.com/en/best...android-apple/
My experience with tablets is that they almost always fail (in the air or at sea) when you need them most on final approach or coming into a reef or port.. ..paper
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 14:16   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
My experience with tablets is that they almost always fail (in the air or at sea) when you need them most on final approach or coming into a reef or port.. ..paper
My iPad has never failed and that’s many years and many passages incl. nasty ones. My Raymarine GPS that I once owned did exactly what you describe. Instead of fixing it, they discontinued support for it. Switched to B&G.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 16:07   #59

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Chart plotter and a tablet backup -. The tablet has its own battery and is kept at or near full charge. Nice and simple.

When you get near land you can see your position on Google Maps on your phone, not that I have ever used it for that.
I will be fitting a separate plotter as well this winter.
But I only have 2 batteries in the house bank and one for the engine, i could cross connect if I needed to but nothing prepared for that
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:35   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

QUOTE: "But I only have 2 batteries in the house bank and one for the engine, i could cross connect if I needed to but nothing prepared for that"

A single jumper cable (you only need one - the negatives are bonded) would be useful in several situations, including finding that your starter battery is dead when you need your engine.