Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19   #31

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Trying to complete my dreams and make memories

I wish you, Sir, the very best of luck in going after your dream and the dream of your son. He's a very fortunate young man. I also applaud your decision to go with a Cat which is what I'll be sailing off in when the day comes. Please keep us updated ok? Most importantly taking care of your health should be priority #1 during your process.
Godspeed Man!
Old 02-03-2015, 18:40   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are many of us cruising out here with various infirmities. If you haven't already encountered them, the writings of Dr. Carl Simonton, who started working with inoperable throat cancer patients in the 1970's, may be of some help to you while your are pursuing your new boat.

And, I personally would like to extend a welcoming hand to your good lady, who is really leaving behind a great deal to support you in this venture. May all your family have joy from your endeavors!

Ann
Old 05-03-2015, 04:16   #33

Given your admitted medical condition -Im a naysayer. How are you going to get skilled medical care in BF Egypt? Your 10yo son will run the boat offshore while taking care and treating you? Get real-its a very tough life on the ocean in a small boat.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kiwinantigua.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:42   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Goto

http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/4911526241.html

If interested pass a PM please.
Thanks
Alec
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17   #36

I'm getting the idea that your expiration date is sooner rather than later? This is going to cost a lot of money to pull off. When your time comes to a end will your son and wife be able to live comfortably on what is left? If the financials are good for them after your departure then go sailing, I'm heading to the Punt Gorda area in a few weeks, let me know if you need a hand

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:05   #37

Boat: Jefferson 42 trawler

Family will be well taken care of, house is already paid off and taxes are cheap, money for college tuition, and my wife will be able to retire . Being I took early retirement at age 42 I'm limited to 4k per month allowance. My numbers are stable cancer wise giving me time to enjoy sailing. Still haven't bought a boat yet, been researching big time and have signed up for navigational classes, I want to learn to navigate if my GPS goes out. I'm looking to purchase in the next 3 months, I've had 2 boats surveyed and I'm glad I did!! When the owner says there's no need to you better believe you must. I thank you all for the support!!!

" We do not remember days, we remember moments"
Jgoshow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgoshow1 View Post
Well it seems I posted on someone else's topic with my issue so I'll start a new one. I'm currently struggling with life, I was raised in a mennonite family with private schools and best of everything thanks to my family who are considerably wealthy. In my family you work for everything you have, nothing is handed to you. I was a rebellious POS child, I went against everything and everybody. I ended up being a member of a 1% outlaw motorcycle club for 20 years and somehow got out without being killed. I now teach gang prevention through Christian ministries. Yes I have change my life!! I worked in the construction field and ended up being a project manager on massive jobsites in the billion dollar range, so I was a very respected consultant at the same time I was a notorious biker. I have a wife and 5 children as well as 4 grand children and I'll be 43 years old come this August. My health went down with severe neuropathy in the feet from uncontrolled diabetes which now I have controlled. I left work and went out on disability.... Wow I went from a six digit salary to 4k a month and depleted my savings due to another catastrophic event in my daughters life. She had brain tumors and had no insurance, I ended up paying out of pocket for the surgeries. I own 2 boats... A 42 foot Jefferson and a sea Ray 27 foot cuddy which are now both sold and purchasing a sailboat. I was just diagnosed with throat cancer and it hit me that I've never completed any of my dreams. My 12 year old son and I wanted to cruise the world and see amazing things which we were going to do with the trawler before my life collapsed. Sailing is the only thing I'll be able to afford on a fixed income. I want to complete the dream and adventure with my son before I go, I've always had a calling to sail the islands and beyond since I was a kid, it's a feeling so strong that it's all I do anymore is research and watch videos of single handed sailing. I look at my son and he's so excited but I also see the dis belief in his eyes because so many times in the past due to the motorcycle club his dreams are crushed, yes I know it's me not the club, I made the choice to be involved in that no one else. My entire life I've been a disappointment to everyone, I've started things and never completed them. This time I'm doing it!

I just wanted to give y'all a glimpse of who I really am, I know that God has a plan for me yet and I'm NOT letting him down. The oceans are my home and the destinations are going to be memories my son will never forget, and the work that goes with each passage will be lessons in life for both of us. Please feel free to criticize me or ask questions. My life is an open book.

" We do not remember days, we remember moments"
Twelve-year-old boys are not old enough to make rational/logical life decisions.
It often ends up in unwanted teenage pregnancies, followed by additional unwanted teenage pregnancies. Wanting to spare your son from following in your HA footsteps is commendable, yet an extended camping trip in a fiberglass tube might not be the best approach. That is, unless HA has a chapter in St. Martin. Today, simply having a college degree is not enough to guarantee postgrad happiness. You need a great degree (or two), and from a very good school. It sounds like your dream, more than his. What's going to happen when you get sick again, or he does? Want to do best by him? Get him studying, and then into a really good school. He'll thank you later.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 13:22   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Perhaps time with his Dad for a lad who missed out on that as a youngster will be more important relative to showing him how to be a man in the world than sending him off to prep school. As a Mennonite, the boy shall have been brought up mainly to be suspicious of the lures of possessions and monetary wealth (admittedly, as ideals). I don't see home schooling and cruising as necessarily setting him up poorly for advanced education, mainly because the cruising kids learn so much about taking responsibility and dealing with different sorts of people that they seem to do very well later on at doing what they decide to do. Often they travel alternate routes to success. The OP wrote that he has endeavored to provide for his son's university education.

Ann
Old 09-03-2015, 14:14   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trying to complete my dreams and make memories

Go for it mate... the experience of different cultures and races that he'll meet will broaden his horizons.. all a prep school will do is tunnel his vision and infuse the prejudices of his peers.. time with him is the best thing you can give him in the coming years.. good memories of shared adventures and laughter.
Wish I'd had that instead of a boarding school.. I might have been a nicer bloke..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Perhaps time with his Dad for a lad who missed out on that as a youngster will be more important relative to showing him how to be a man in the world than sending him off to prep school.
Nobody mentioned shipping the lad off to a cold and lonely prep/boarding school, far away from the wonderful nurturing that he could obtain from parental influence. Somehow, Internet discussions tend to sway between black and white, often missing the logical middle-ground "gray" area. Children learn from the actions of their parents. Why not try the middle road? Being the past member of a motorcycle gang signals rebellion, similar to individuals who cast off to sail into the void. How about this option? Keep him studying in his local high school and take him sailing during the summer months. Balance is key, and he will learn it. He will also get a better chance at a high SAT score to help him get into a good school. Ivy league, hopefully.

As for prep schools, my father was shipped off to Tabor Academy for high school, where he lived in a dorm and learned to sail on the school's schooner "Tabor Boy". He later became a pharmacist, purchased many boats, and taught me and my brother how to navigate using only a compass, chart, and parallel rules in a thick Maine fog with big swells. Never once heard him complain about time spent away from family during high school.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:31   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trying to complete my dreams and make memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Never once heard him complain about time spent away from family during high school.
Don't know any fathers whinge to their sons.. its supposed to be the other way round..
Guess you've never experienced it but if it was that grand.. you would have...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote