Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 14:13   #46

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter
Re: Tips & Lessons Learned 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
My question is, where the bleep do you keep a 14' oar on a 24' boat, & why? And an OB likely both weighs less, & is cheaper. Given the cost of lumber any more.
I can answer that! The oar is lashed to the lifeline stanchions and the tip of the bowsprit!
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:16   #47

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Maybe Larry should have spung for an outboard, instead of using other people's powered boats.
Being the one who has actually put the outboard on Larry's boat I can tell you it was neither easy nor cheap... He had a system that worked so I can understand why he was reluctant. Also they did have motor on board later on and started using the dingy on the hip with a 2hp motor. It also takes a lot of skill to pull this stunt off.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:17   #48

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

When you use the old halyard to run up the replacement, don't even think of cutting corners. Use proper sail thread, make sure it's tied off tight, and well taped.

If you don't do the above, even the slightest impediment will cause the connection to part, and then you have no halyard.

Don't go to the top of the mast when the sun is beating on you and there is zero breeze.

Don't be the tough guy and try to save the crew from doing any work while tailing you up the mast- do let them put in a bit of work. Otherwise you'll be exhausted when you get to the top.

The easiest way to run a new halyard while the mast is down is to secure it to another halyard; do so in the middle of the existing halyard so if you lose the connection you are not now missing two halyards.

If you're not happy with the way the anchor is set, set it again, even if you're only there for lunch.

Not all hairline cracks go through the jelcoat. Check one branch before grinding them all.

A ten minute trip 1km away can be enough to reduce light pollution sufficiently and make a significant difference in how you enjoy the night.

Skipper is the most glamorous job. Foredeck is masochistic. Always breed a new generation of foredeck fools well before it's your time to surrender.

The racing skipper that has a temper has trouble finding crew (well, old lesson, just reinforced observations.)

Your depth sounder may well be right. Bars that haven't moved in 20 years may suddenly move markedly.

Study the places you go, even if you've been there before. History sheds a whole new light on even the most common things.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:14   #49

Quote:
Maybe it's time to buy a bigger, more powerful dink? I never did understand the small dink crowd, since we believe that the dinghy should be able to act as a lifeboat, tugboat and towboat should the need arise.

It's cheap insurance if you ask me.
That makes a great deal of sense. I'm going to look for a larger engine for the 10" tinny. I did tow my boat in once, a short distance, maybe 3 miles. It took a long time with only a 2.5 hp and if there had been stronger winds and currents, impossible.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:27   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
From now on, don't read things into posts that aren't there just to make some "wise guy" comment. We were never in any trouble, it just got me to thinking about what to do in case of an emergency.
Look whose calling the kettle black!

I'll answer the other tomorrow. I was busy at work today since one of our simulators had both a raw radar and IFF video problem at one of the scopes due to broken pins in an old cable harness

This thing was built in the late 80's. (it uses old mainframe computers) Unfortunately for me, I don't get to troubleshoot much these days since I have to run the entire contract but I had to try and scrounge a replacement cable.

Speaking of work, I'm still not sure how one adjusts to just cruising 100% of the time.......

Also don't forget, a background in racing small engineless sailboats can definitely help in the conditions you describe and it's fun: (ps. you know they are serious racers when they are wearing the PFD under their shirts!)

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 21:15   #51

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Keep the engine clean!

Added a start switch where diesel injectors can be opened for priming (glorious!)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:54   #52

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
What is this "too spicy" of which you speak?

Connemara
Sometimes Habeneros are a bit much for me. Depends on who bred them it seems.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:05   #53

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
When you use the old halyard to run up the replacement, don't even think of cutting corners. Use proper sail thread, make sure it's tied off tight, and well taped.

If you don't do the above, even the slightest impediment will cause the connection to part, and then you have no halyard.

The easiest way to run a new halyard while the mast is down is to secure it to another halyard; do so in the middle of the existing halyard so if you lose the connection you are not now missing two halyards.
To replace a halyard, use the Reeving Splice on it's tail end, along with your Dedicated halyard messenger. It makes swapping them out to change them, or for inspection, a 3min. job. Literally.

It's a method which I've yet to have any problems with, after using it probably thousands of times. Though proper spar & rigging maint. does help to sort out problems before they arise.

I'd use it over any other halyard swapping method there is, even if the spar is on the hard. Why not use gravity to your advantage?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:08   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A tip:

If you have a SailRite LSZ-1, If you place the spool of ptfe thread on the cabin sole (with machine on saloon table) and thread it per the instructions in the manual, you don't have to mess with trying to find a way to mount the spool horizontally to feed the upper thread. Just follow the pictures and the instructions for the Tenara thread, and it all works fine. All I had to learn was how to thread it.

Ann
Old 23-11-2016, 00:12   #55

Boat: Sandibar 35

One lesson learned in 2016 for us was to know your back-up systems by heart and try them out before you actually need them. We popped a hydraulic hose from our steering system while lowering sails before entering a new harbor in semi-demanding conditions last summer. I had never used the emergency tiller before, but at least knew where it was. This was the first time I disengaged the hydraulic ram, had to bolt on the tiller and enter a port using the short stick to control the boat. Nerve-wrecking but it went fine after all and actually was a confidence booster. Would have been a lot easier, had we actually tried the tiller out beforehand.

Re a bigger dinghy / outboard for emergency propulsion. Would love to have larger one, but there's no room on a 35'. I think we could tow Sabina in benign conditions for a couple of miles with the 3.5hp though. Around here most people actually have no dinghies at all; Marinas are cheap and even if you want to stay in a natural harbor, mostly you can use a stern anchor and tie up the bow to some rocks on shore.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:32   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Kismet. Im sorry I cant give you the details on the Ozone Generator.
I borrowed it from a friend who used it in her house as an air freshener. So basically it was one of those simple house ones.
My boat is 40', so I put ti in the galley which is about midships, and opened all hatches, cupboard doors, locker doors, Every Thing, to let the ozone access all spaces.
Ran a little fan to help circulate it.
When I was done all the mold was dead. It was dust when I wiped it off. I used rags w vinegar on them to wipe up the dead mold .. just in case.
Now I have a dehumidifier on board when she sits at the dock for extended periods, to keep the humidity below 50%. Mold cant grow in humidity under 55%.
Thats about it.
Hope that helps.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:00   #57

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Hopefully the captain had compassion and didn't give you a "I told ya so!"
Good point made on your part, thanks. He apparently knew what he was talking about.
Yes, he had a much better view of what was happening in the inlet from his prospective. That's a problem with coming into and inlet - you can't really tell how bad it is until you get into it.
I didn't talk to the dredge captain afterward, but I had a vision of him laughing his a-- off.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 25-11-2016, 08:20   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

svfinlandia, your lesson might be "don't go in Oregon Inlet." It was once large enough for the Battleship Oregon to enter, hence the name, but has opened and closed several times during my life. Major shoaling, hence the dredge.

I learned this year that a bolt covered with paint in an inaccessible place for a threading die can be cleaned by taking a nut the right size and cutting a slit in it with a Dremel tool. The paint then has a place to escape when you chase the thread.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:42   #59

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Never climb into the dinghy and attempt to raise the outboard when it's on the davits.....
I swear I didn't think that damn thing could flip.
Had a Zodiac and the screws pulled out of the transom and dumped me and the dinghy motor in the drink. The transom still hung nicely on the davit.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 25-11-2016, 08:54   #60

Boat: Catalina 30

This was on a gas engine but the lesson is the same. When you are trouble shooting an engine that keeps starving out, check for restrictions before replacing expensive parts. In my new to me speed boat it would idle but die out when accelerating. After putting a fuel pressure gauge on and seeing the fuel pressure dropping off, I replaced the fuel pump. Didn't fix the problem (but I no longer have a 27 year old fuel pump), Then don't assume that the fuel pick up is cracked and sucking air and fabricate a new fuel pick up before inspecting the check valve and finding it full of sand and varnish.