Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 13:53   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Red face things I do & think that are wrong

So I’ve been on CF a few years. From back when I only was thinking of learning to sail in order to go cruising (never stated out to be aa sailor), to taking lessons, to buying my first boat, to getting my current boat. While I have learned a lot of good stuff, I want to share what I’ve apparently learned or now know, that is wrong with how I sail based on my years of reading CF:
  • I sail a Hunter
  • I only currently have 1 anchor
  • I don’t have a gun on the boat
  • I never have sailed a boat with a tiller
  • I never have sailed a boat smaller than 32’
  • My boat doesn’t have solar
  • My boat doesn’t have a wind generator
  • I have and use a chart plotter
  • I believe that comfort above and below decks is important
  • I like the performance of a fin keel and spade rudder
  • I don’t believe running my diesel at low loads is going to kill it
  • I don’t change my engine seawater impeller each year (have never replaced it yet)
  • I think having my autopilot integrated with my chart plotter is great
  • I plan to cruise on much more than $500/mo
  • I don’t think that my boat neighbors slapping halyards and mast wiring is music
  • I flush my TP down the head with the rest of the crap
  • I like cold beer, so have refrigeration
  • I don’t have storm sails
  • I believe that power boaters have as right to the water as I do
  • I hate yacht clubs that have races across the channel and get pissed because I feel like coming home and don’t feel they get the right away and I need to go around the 5 miles because they chose to race in the channel
  • I believe it is reasonable that people owning homes along the water shouldn’t have to look at a POC boat that is basically a floating junk pile
  • I believe moorings at popular places is good for safety and more boat capacity
  • I wish I had a furling mainsail
  • I think 1 large sink in the gallery is better than 2 small ones that wouldn’t hold a pan
  • I think 1 good head with larger shower is better than 2 small ones just so you can say you have 2
  • I think wood looks good in pictures but shouldn’t be on boats
  • I think “classic” boats are pretty, they should be in pictures, but prefer to have the space instead on nice overhangs (there’s a reason they changed)
  • I prefer to sail better and be comfortable 95% of the time instead of being in fear to the perfect storm
  • I believe countries have the right to make regulation etc they want to in their territorial waters
  • I don’t believe that just because I sail/boat that I shouldn’t have to obey societies rules, even if I don’t like them
I’m sure there are a lot more things that I’m doing or thinking that is just wrong. Maybe if I did a list with what I do right and say everything else is wrong it would have been less trouble.
Old 05-08-2012, 13:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: things I do & think that are wrong

Wow Don, you are a candidate for Lat's and Att's. Too bad they are shut down. You will just have to stick around here. Be sure to wear your life jacket and your SPOT at all times since the crusty old salts seem to think you have it all wrong.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Don many of your quotes are sensible, others are sensible depending on what type of sailing you are doing ( I am not sure what that is),but this struck me as wrong no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don’t change my engine seawater impeller each year (have never replaced it yet)
I hope you at least inspect it. If you are going to pull it out and inspect it why not fit a new one and keep the old as a spare. Engines are expensive, impellers are cheap.

I have pulled a few broken old impellers from engines that had been "regularly serviced" . I have also seen a cracked blade in my Yanmar impeller despite it only being 1 year old.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:36   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

don--the reason they changed was for the racing --as racing boats evolved, so did the styling of boats.
many dont like race boats or their shape or lines--( i am one of those) not just because of the peculiarities--many of those designs have so much open space that they oilcan. the modern designs tend to pound in seas if load is wrong. every boat is different. the one i learned to sail in had long overhangs to slice thru seas. was a racing boat, not a cruising boat.
i love my 2 inch thick taiwanese ketch with the clipper bow....but, as do i, they prefer to sail a more different kind of boat.
all boats have their peculiarities--you have to choose which ones are important to you and where to find them. \

sounds like you have a good grasp on how YOU can cruise on less money than some folks choose to cruise with. (so can i)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:49   #5
CLOD

- don't wear my life vest normally, or my harness
- don't have a SPOT or ERPID (or whatever initals it is)
- eat too much meat
- put 300+ pounds of chain in bow, so have to eat more to gain weight to balance the boat (aqcturally my POS Hunter seems to sail better with the chain in the bow)
- don't sail on a course that pounds the boat unless a beer is involved (if I don't like it why should the boat)

I knew there were more
Old 05-08-2012, 15:03   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl don--yer on it---good stuff....i dont even bash for beer--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:03   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Don many of your quotes are sensible, others are sensible depending on what type of sailing you are doing ( I am not sure what that is),but this struck me as wrong no matter what.

I hope you at least inspect it. If you are going to pull it out and inspect it why not fit a new one and keep the old as a spare. Engines are expensive, impellers are cheap.

I have pulled a few broken old impellers from engines that had been "regularly serviced" . I have also seen a cracked blade in my Yanmar impeller despite it only being 1 year old.
(Knock on wood)
I've had two boats since 1987, neither of which ever needed a replacement raw water impeller.
I have had spares for both, but neither have ever needed replacement.
After opening and inspecting both upon purchase of each boat, I've never touched either one, although I DO look at the exhaust water every time I start the engine.
Don't "fix" what ain't broke.

I also don't consider slapping halyards "music".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
(Knock on wood)
I've had two boats since 1987, neither of which ever needed a replacement raw water impeller.
After opening and inspecting both upon purchase of each boat, I've never touched either one, although I DO look at the exhaust water every time I start the engine.

12 months old. As expected with this sort of problem no change with the water coming out of the exhaust.
Attached Images

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:17   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well ya don't get to much older or crustier the me !LOL and I agree with everything but the impeller part !!LOL to us these days comfort is primary!! we did the tough stuff years ago and have nothing to prove to anyone surely not to ourselfs !! Give me air conditioning, and a big freezer, and a shower both of us can use at the same time( we like to save water LOLOL) and a bed with a memory foam mattress!! even thinking about sattelite TV LOL Just want to be able to smile when we anchor !! Just Our 2 cents
Old 05-08-2012, 15:58   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Don - Have you considered buying a catamaran?

Just sayin'

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So I’ve been on CF a few years. From back when I only was thinking of learning to sail in order to go cruising (never stated out to be aa sailor), to taking lessons, to buying my first boat, to getting my current boat. While I have learned a lot of good stuff, I want to share what I’ve apparently learned or now know, that is wrong with how I sail based on my years of reading CF:
  • I believe that power boaters have as right to the water as I do
I thought this was a funny tongue in cheek thread until I hit that one.

And don't forget the cheap foulies are just as good as the expensive ones
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:30   #12

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
(Knock on wood)

I also don't consider slapping halyards "music".
You don't want to wait until the point where the replacement of the impeller is necessary. It's much easier to replace the impeller at the marina than doing so in 8 foot swells.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:38   #13
CLOD

- cat or any other other multi hull boats MAY be OK
- lobster/crab pots are allowed in the water
- EVERYONE knows more about the construction of MY boat than I do (I should have asked them before I got it)
-V-berths are for people with pointy toes
_ while at anchor the other day I was watching TV, in the trawler next to me, the a-hole could have turned up the volume some
- people will always try to sideline track the topic of a CF thread and ruin a good rant

- buoys that are miles out of place per the chart and your chart plotter will cause you to really question where you really are (new truth for me on this one)
Old 05-08-2012, 16:56   #14
CLOD

- counter to what I used to believe, there are at least as high a percentage of a-hole people who are boaters as in "real" life
Old 05-08-2012, 19:38   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Don,

You know you're just plain askin' for trouble by all the things you are doing or not doing and us old timers don't approve of. It's strange that you haven't sunk at the dock already.