Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32   #46

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: things I do & think that are wrong

Have you considered using a galvanized bucket filled with scrap iron as a second anchor?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52   #47

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Haha-good thread. I'm beginning to think most of what don writes is meant to be funny- but only just now realized it. Btw I have a 23 yr. Old outboard with original impelled and thousands. Of hours on it.

Cheers
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27   #48

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
While I'm blabbering:

At the same time, 75% of the boats I see never leave their slip, then maybe another 24% leave the bay, the remaining 1% actually going "offshore", and I'm talking about just going past the inland/international colregs demarcation line. Of that 1%, maybe only a quarter of those are doing anything more than coastal cruising..
Reminds me of snow skiers at big resorts, lots of expensive equipment, and they never leave the warming house.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:34   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Have you considered using a galvanized bucket filled with scrap iron as a second anchor?

That is a great idea, can double as the head as well....and triple as the sink to wash dishes in sea water
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

would make a worthy anti pirate dinghy sinking device--silent and deadly to dinks.. just drop from altitude...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42   #51

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
... At the same time, 75% of the boats I see never leave their slip, then maybe another 24% leave the bay, the remaining 1% actually going "offshore", and I'm talking about just going past the inland/international colregs demarcation line. Of that 1%, maybe only a quarter of those are doing anything more than coastal cruising.

Just as silly to go into south seas without reef points as it is to have all that offshore gear and stay in the harbor. I think 99% of the boating world would be served just fine with cabin cruisers, wide-cockpit sailboats with crappy rigging, and house boats. Most boats really don't need to change their impellers.
This talk always goes back to what cruising is, and who cruises and who dock queens or daysails or overnights. I often remind myself that the forum is for cruisers (real men and women like us who brush our teeth with salt water), and boaters who have pressurized freshwater systems.

We all know Don has sense enough to have additional ground tackle if he were going somewhere. And as he points out, his current one anchor system is pretty stout, even if his Manson is a Rocna knockoff. Last I looked Mansons are made in Manchuria, if you catch my thread drift. I know the word is New Zealand but this is the Internet. Hello!

As a public service I suggest this real-world test of cruiserhood: real cruisers can splice rope. RTW sailors can splice double-braid.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38   #52
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As a public service I suggest this real-world test of cruiserhood: real cruisers can splice rope. RTW sailors can splice double-braid.
Double braid! That's so quaint!

With the new high modulus lines, the real question is whether REAL cruisers can brummel-splice single braids.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44   #53

i think real cruisers are splicing whatever lines they need to splice.....and buy what is affordable.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:50   #54
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think real cruisers are splicing whatever lines they need to splice.....and buy what is affordable.
Think about it, Zee. It's just been stated on another thread how much cheaper high-mod line is than stainless cable. It might be more expensive than nylon line purchased in the hardware store, but it's the less expensive way to install new lifelines.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55   #55

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

With the new high modulus lines, the real question is whether REAL cruisers can brummel-splice single braids.

Ha ha ha! Good one. I am BUSTED for being an old foggie and not keeping current on my yotting magazine subscription.

I stand aBASHed! Humbled beyond words for the moment. I believe I'll cruise over to WE$T Marine and check it out. They don't sell that stuff at the commercial fishing supply house I frequent where we drink warm beer and fart.

Bash, you just wait til Boaty gets back on line to cover my skinny ol wrinkled butt.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:04   #56

i am designing in bulkwarks solid rails of tubular ss for my formosa--much more practical and worthy tan lifelines.... i use whatever is remnant for my current ones--but i wont use coated wire anymore--except for re-use as a dinghy cable....currently adding inexpensive mexican hardwood, readily available cheap here for belaying pins and rails--have a great cheap boat bum ex boatwright friend here willing to buddy boat t o other places.
i do not buy my line at climbing nor hardware stores, nor do i purchase it fro retail plus 400 percent at chandleries--wholesale from mfg is only way to replace lines.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19   #57

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

you call that a challenge!!

Try putting a neat eye in old double braid, the sort that's been loaded several thousand times
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45   #58
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
you call that a challenge!!

Try putting a neat eye in old double braid, the sort that's been loaded several thousand times
I'd buy a ticket to watch you do that.

I've never agreed with the sentiment that gentlemen don't go to weather, but I certainly draw the line at splicing previously loaded double braid.

(To take it further, I confess to never having mastered the end-to-end continuous diameter splice in double braid. I can do one if the book is at my knee, but it will be ugly.)
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31   #59

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I've never agreed with the sentiment that gentlemen don't go to weather, but I certainly draw the line at splicing previously loaded double braid.
The sounds I was making were bad enough to send the schnauzer to hide on the bowsprit and shake. I got it done though, but never again. It seems silly now that I was doing it to put a new snap shackle onto roughly a 10 Y.O. line
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 13:23   #60

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:

(To take it further, I confess to never having mastered the end-to-end continuous diameter splice in double braid. I can do one if the book is at my knee, but it will be ugly.)
I tried to use a book, then I found a youtube video. I had to watch it more than one get a decent finished product and I was using new line.

This summer I had to leave a couple of my "finished products" on a couple of mooring posts in the gulf, double braid can be some stubborn line.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote