Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
This is sort of why I ran away to sea as a young lad….. you meet a more balanced, kindly person out there, who knows that it is a brother/sister hood and we look out for each other
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Re: The Kindness of Strangers

I agree that most crusiers are good, helpful people. I also help as much as I can if I see a crusier in need. I agree with some here that what comes around, goes around. I just treat others the way I expect to be treated in return.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 15:16   #18

Boat: Sundance 23
Great to hear, restores my faith in mankind. I've met only a couple of folks so far at the marina, and they're very friendly. I'll be eager to offer a hand when needed.
inSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 15:51   #19

Boat: svfurthur
I've said it many times before. Boat people are the best there are. I get much joy out of helping a fellow sailor.

Here's to kindness,
Dave
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:40   #20

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

Years ago I ran out of gas in a 19ft run about. Was in no danger, actually could have dropped anchor, swam to shore, walked home, got the gas can and been okay but these two guys came along and towed me to the marina -- about 30 minutes away. I thanked them and offered to fill their tank and the one guy says, "that's okay, somebody helped me once and I never forgot it, be sure to help somebody one of these days when they're having a problem." Never forgot that, good advice on land too.

Good wind my friends
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 23:48   #21

Boat: Jeanneua 36
hitting trees,,,,,,I was laying in my bunk on a cold saterday morning wene the dog started growling,bang! looked out,We have just been rammed by afloat plane,good story for the bar that nite
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Yes I have a very nice Nigerian contact who keeps telling me I've won a million bucks He's very efficient and I've now won in Ireland, England and the USA
Clyde
Its my contact too.
Every other day he tell me I won the million dollar firat price.
The other day it was a Princess wanted to transfers funds
An other time I inherited from a wealthy doctor

But why everytime I won they first want money?

A woman in Texas was arrested after swingling of one million dollar her company to try to winn a Nigerian scam.

Daniel
Old 09-07-2010, 13:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captin_Kirk View Post
I just wanted to put in my two cents here. I agree whole heatedly with KateJoy. I launched my boat about a month ago. Being the first time that I ever sailed or motored a bot this size I enlisted the help of some friends to assist is getting the boat from the lift in, down the river, under the lift bridge out to Lake Erie and over to the marina where my slip was. The day of my launch ALL of my friends bailed for one reason or another. With 40 knot winds I was very nervous. I managed the trip to the marina with no major problems. As I entered the marina I wondered how I was going to dock the first time without hitting anything. Just then I heard "Do you need help docking" and within minutes 4 guys were down at my slip ready to help tie me up. That was the first look at the type of people that are involved in the sailing community.

And now that you have NEW Friends at your marina; you can wave good bye to all the old ones who bailed on you on your important day Pretty good reason to 'bail on them' every time one of them bugs you for a day sail Folks that tend to help around my boats get first class rides, the ones that only want a ride can use the sailing dinghy
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:11   #24

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
I can remember 7 or 8 years ago in Negril, Jamaica when a bedraggled looking sailboat showed up with a couple and their teenage son. They had apparently underestimated what the trip from Florida would entail and didn't plan so well. They were out of diesel, water, and probably money.

Captain Phillipe, who runs the catamaran tours for the big hotels there, and his friend, one of the hotel managers, filled them up with diesel and water, helped service their boat, and let them hang around the hotel a couple of days and rest up, eat the buffet, and have a few drinks prior to them setting off for home.

That is the milk of human kindness.
I would bet that couple comes back every year and spends a bundle, and I would, too. Good neighbours bring good customers.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19   #25

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOff View Post
And now that you have NEW Friends at your marina; you can wave good bye to all the old ones who bailed on you on your important day Pretty good reason to 'bail on them' every time one of them bugs you for a day sail Folks that tend to help around my boats get first class rides, the ones that only want a ride can use the sailing dinghy
I friend will bail you out of jail...a true friend will be sitting there next to you...same concept...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:31   #26

My wife wrote a whole blog post about how helpful all the people around our marina have been, especially since we have a ten week old baby we're raising onboard.

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Charlotte's Blog - It Takes a*Village

The first time we took the boat out (which was at night, in a place we didn't know at all) the transmission wouldn't engage and we sort of drifted into the channel. Some guy in a dinghy hip tugged us out of harms way, hopped on board, helped us localize the problem, then hopped back out and motored away with a wave.

It's weird but the most neighborly neighbors I've ever had are fellow sailors on the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote