The Advantages of Being a 100 Ton Captain

1) small boats
2) girls

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:00   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

advantage--i have only seen from the attitudinal side-- seems that cpts under 500 tone have that--attitude. isnt always pleasant. license doesnt mean knowledge.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
advantage--i have only seen from the attitudinal side-- seems that cpts under 500 tone have that--attitude. isnt always pleasant. license doesnt mean knowledge.
Most everyone I know is great. Knocking 100 ton licensees as inexperienced is silly. That Italian captain had his version of oceans-unlimited and was completely incompetent, and plenty of yacht delivery captains with half a million miles of offshore work are rocking 100 tons.

If you're working as a captain your attitude and disposition is just as important as your seamanship and boat handling skills. If you just have your license to walk around make people call you captain that's a whole different ball of wax.

I mean the picture as a joke; I can show you plenty where it's me surrounded by twenty stinky fisherman.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19   #4

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I would think even one day of being around the nice young ladies will be worth it after being around stinky fishermen.

I might look into licensing some day...
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20   #5

MY EXPERIENCE has shown many who have 100 to 500 tonner licenses are not all they say they are---- i have met many many many of these. just because one holds a uscg issued license doesnt mean that individual is especially smart in boats or sailing.
i have been dissed and laughed at by some 100 tonners as i refuse to get licensed--as i watch and observe these alleged cpts go at their specialty--is humorous at best. just because one holds a license for 100 tons doesnt mean be all and end all of seafaring. dont let it go to your head. some of us learned from REAL captains, from merchant marines and other sources(UNLIMITED MASTERS)---keep learning and do not become like those i have encountered with the pettiness syndrome.

i prefer the stinky fishermen kinda captain to the wannabe yotty snotty ones....they know more, and exhibit less bad attitude--besides they know where the GOOD fishies hide.........
Old 06-02-2012, 12:23   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
MY EXPERIENCE has shown many who have 100 to 500 tonner licenses are not all they say they are---- i have met many many many of these. just because one holds a uscg issued license doesnt mean that individual is especially smart in boats or sailing.
i have been dissed and laughed at by some 100 tonners as i refuse to get licensed--as i watch and observe these alleged cpts go at their specialty--is humorous at best. just because one holds a license for 100 tons doesnt mean be all and end all of seafaring. dont let it go to your head. some of us learned from REAL captains, from merchant marines and other sources(UNLIMITED MASTERS)---keep learning and do not become like those i have encountered with the pettiness syndrome.

Let's try to be nice. It was just a joke. Besides, this is his occupation -- not just his hobby. Give him a break already.

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26   #7

Boat: 33ft sloop

Most of my friends hold licenses up till 49 metres. What is 100 tons? Chicken etc.

There are good sailors, there are bad sailors. Not a single sailor can sail having a license alone. Give me an experienced sailor rather than a licensed captain. Of the first I am more or less sure of the latter never.

But I give Rebel credit: enjoy the girls!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Let's try to be nice. It was just a joke. Besides, this is his occupation -- not just his hobby. Give him a break already.

Darby
problem with partial quotes, as in out of context quotations, is that the rest of the statement is not acknowledged-- why dont you go back and read the ENTIRE post.....
i did not aim at anyone, but at the situation in general. is your reading that missed the meat of the post, isnt it. now, who is not being nice?????
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

I mean the picture as a joke; I can show you plenty where it's me surrounded by twenty stinky fisherman.
You really don't need to, we believe you...
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44   #10

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
problem with partial quotes, as in out of context quotations, is that the rest of the statement is not acknowledged-- why dont you go back and read the ENTIRE post.....
i did not aim at anyone, but at the situation in general. is your reading that missed the meat of the post, isnt it. now, who is not being nice?????
Zeehag:

I read the entire thread from the beginning when Rebel Heart posted his photo. There are only 8 postings, not a lot to follow. The point is, that it was just for fun and then the attack on licensed captains.

I get your point and it does not apply to sailing only .... it applies to everything -- EXPERIENCE is more important than license, certification, etc... You have stated for example, that you have chosen not to become licensed. However, I see the respect that members on CF have for you and I can tell how much you know about sailing, how much experience you have, and I am certain that I could come aboard and sleep through the worst storm knowing you were at the helm.

I just grow weary of people going on the attack, and the moderators are going to remove this --- but it is especially rampant here on CF. But, the good on CF outweighs the bad, so I stay on and try to learn from you and others.

I don't mean to sound like Polly Anna, but it would not hurt any one of us to be a little nicer.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Respectfully,
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47   #11

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
You are, of course, entitled to your opion on the merits, or otherwise, of the process of optaining captain's licensing and the the competence of said license holders and you entitled to air that opinion (within reason), I would have thought it fairly obvious, from the initial post, that this thread was neither the time nor the place. No offense is intended.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:49   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
. That Italian captain had his version of oceans-unlimited and was completely incompetent,

Hey Rebel, that Italian capt only had one girl distracting him, you have seven, lucky sod, I'm just jealous
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I for one am glad of the number of professional mariners who contribute actively to this forum. They often have something of substance to add to our conversation, even after having spent the day with stinky fishermen.
Old 06-02-2012, 13:00   #14

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

With my first license I worked the tourest trade in San Diego for the Star & Cresent boat co. It was a good job for about a couple of years.... But then I upped to a larger lIcense (3rd Mate) using my big ship time. I ended up sailing on large ships, (upping to 2nd Mate) small ones and acquired a 1600 ton license and fished as captain, the Bering Sea and worked the oil field boats in the Gulf of MexicoC Captain again. The time I used for my first licenses? Was Navy time, 21 years as a Boatswain Mate. Navy small craft and Navy ships.
And though I'm retired, I'm still learning my trade. Am a captain because I have my own command...
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 13:05   #15

Boat: too many

[QUOTE=rebel heart;881016]1) small boats
2) girls

advantage of Unlimited Tonnage
1) Containers
2) Impressing the masses

1)

2)
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote