Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Sorry Vendors - But I Am a Sailor, Not a Consumer...

This last week I had the opportunity to go to a big boat show. "We'll get you the tickets" said the local yacht business "Who knows you may find something you like" Well, after sleeping on it I already knew the answer. I have found something I like. Its already there in the marina, and I have the key to the door lock.
Other people I know seem to like shopping, but I just like redoing old sailboats.
So sorry all you guys that see me as money.
Not interested.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You sound like a prime candidate for a subscription to “Good Old Boat” magazine, the sailing magazine for the rest of us.

Good Old Boat - Welcome to Good Old Boat Magazine

Free sample ✈
http://www.goodoldboat.com/subscript...mple_issue.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoatParts-GOB.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	12986  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Not everyone sees customers as money. Most of the people I meet at our booths become our friends. I'm no salesman, while some salesman can sell ice to an Eskimo, I can't sell a two dollar Parka to a naked one on credit. I've found that in this crazy business that most sailors already know what they want when they come to the boat show. Sometimes their wants need a little tweaking to meet their best interests. Many of us have old boats as well and will sit and talk cruising and boats as much at the show as we do in the anchorages. If you ever get by the Florida shows Newt, stop by, I promise the only money you might spend with me will be for the second round.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
...I can't sell a two dollar Parka to a naked one on credit...

...I promise the only money you might spend with me will be for the second round.

Now if you bought all the rounds all night you mighta gotten that Eskimo to buy the parka.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Im with ya there Newt...I have never been to a boat show..and see no reason to change now...I have never enjoyed taunting myself with things I cant afford...Only ever been to one car show... it didn't do anything for me either.

Ya sure I pass a cool boat in the yard or on the dock and go Wow! nice boat wonder what she looks like below like every body else does...but that's about it.

OK sure I have a couple dream boats ..but they ain't new either.

OK OK.... Id be happy just for a ride..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:07   #6

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
OMG!!! 247 feet!!! I'm in love...
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:29   #7

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
I go to a major show every year for at least two days although I have no intention of buying a boat. I go looking for parts, ideas, information and deals on whatever needs upgrading or replacing. I might look at a one or two boats I admire, but most of the time is spent talking to vendors and getting a great deal on something I need to purchase anyway.

Regards, Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:37   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
The few shows that I've been to over the years, I spend time at the various electronics counters, usually to find out I know
more that the salesman...and I don't know much!
My wife used to like looking at the new boats...until someone
pointed out to her what they thought might be a selling point,
a nice compact washer and dryer unit!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:37   #9

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
If your a sailor, your a consumer, the only reason you don't know it, is you havn't thought about it hard enough.

Even if you don't need a new boat, how about parts? Sails? Lines? Ground Tackle? Or a dinghy? Or dinghy motor?

You never know what you'll find when you go to a boat show. And at some point every old boat needs something. Maybe something you didn't even know existed?
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:42   #10

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I have helped a friend at a couple of shows. One of the things I have learned is how many of the booth people or sales people, are doing this because they love boats and sailing. If you think about it, most of those booths are not full of rich business owners. They are full of folks who either invented something that worked better, or found a line of something they could get behind. And they are working hard. Shows are hard work, but everyone I know in the booths gets pumped up about it.
Just ask them, how did you get started? Most gave up a corporate life, to sell things they believe in. And very few are getting rich. Some very smart people know a lot more than just what they are trying to educate you on.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:51   #11

I go to the Seattle Boat Show nearly every year with one to four friends. Take a day off and go mid-week, usually to the "afloat" show on Lake Union (Central Seattle). Its a good excuse to get out of the house, spend some time with friends and speculate about life if I had chosen my parents better. I always learn something and where else can you get free tide tables?
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:52   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
We go to boat shows as well. For the local one, it is an afternoon of entertainment for the price of a movie. Some shows, like at Annappolis we go to occassionaly because we like the town. It's a vacation. Additionally, if I am in the market for a particular piece of gear, I like to go and physically see it and handle it. If I am seriously interested I'll get their "boat show price" and compare it to other quotes. Unfortunately, in many cases the price at the show is higher than other quotes. It seems many vendors don't do any research on their competition or else don't care.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:18   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I have helped a friend at a couple of shows. One of the things I have learned is how many of the booth people or sales people, are doing this because they love boats and sailing. If you think about it, most of those booths are not full of rich business owners. They are full of folks who either invented something that worked better, or found a line of something they could get behind. And they are working hard. Shows are hard work, but everyone I know in the booths gets pumped up about it.
Just ask them, how did you get started? Most gave up a corporate life, to sell things they believe in. And very few are getting rich. Some very smart people know a lot more than just what they are trying to educate you on.

Pretty accurate post Jmolan.
Working boats shows is like becoming a school teacher to get rich, it just doesn't make sense. I remember well being on the customer side of the booth. The majority of the people we get stopping by and willing to talk are really fun to meet and get to know. It's really a lot of fun even though you are right it is hard work. Stepping behind a boat show booth doesn't transform me from the cruiser I am, like everybody else, into the greedy sell you anything any everything you don't need slimball. Sure there are always those few people at every show both vendors and tire kickers. But I learned long ago to smile anyway. If you really want to get to know who the vendors are and what type of folks they really are, instead of fighting the parking lot crowd to get out, stick around after the show closes. We have a blast! Miami shows next week. Stop by and I'll prove it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:30   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I went to the Jack London show in Oakland in 93. Went on the last day late in the afternoon. Walked out with a GPS, and radar for a sweet deal.

Did the same thing in Miami 4 years ago. Was in need of a larger dink. Drove down in the morning, and once again showed up on the last day in the afternoon. Got a Caribe for nearly half price.

The shows aren't just about buying a boat. I walk into chandleries all the time. I have no intention on buying anything. Now & then I walk out with something dirt cheap. My wife has 2 pairs of Teva Spyder sole sandals that are new, and in the box. Because they stick well, and are very comfortable I bought them for her. They were less than half price.

I think it's great you love the boat you have. You still have to keep her fit, and that sir. Makes you a consumer no matter what........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:57   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Whats not to like about a boat show? Cool stuff you may not wont or need but like looking at, Fellow boaters wanderng aimlessly. Yet another reason to get off the boat. Roast beef sandwich from the Fleet Reserve Club at the Annapolis show. Painkllers! at Pussers. One on one with vendors. Not going to boat shows is like owning a house and never going to home depot. lf you are into boats you are drawn. Any decent cruiser will wrangle a way in for free or cheap

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote