Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 03:34   #31

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Always get there half an hour before opening, do the boat visits early when they are still polishing windows, always take shoes off (remember clean socks), and complement something for each thing you ask, 'Does that work like that?'
It's amazing how in Cats the kitchen in the lounge seems to be the in thing.
Most mono's have a cellar, with steps into the crypt, some don't have walking space on deck, and tramps are not a cost saving feature.
But then to the 'halls' where three different salesmen will cover all aspects of sail materials. I'm convinced the reasonably priced man-made (plastic) sails will hold their shape better and last as long. But my old sails are still serviceable. One day I'll have to make up my mind!
Forward looking depth gauge, with a picture screen, not like looking out of the rear window while driving, you can see what you are going to hit, not what you just got away with. Great way to see the channel edges and old posts in your new moorings. Any one shelled out?
Non-slip panel for dashboards and coffee tables, should have, didn't, missed them ever since.
But then I can smile at things that are nice and out of reach, like BRM H16's, le Mans old circuit, 275 ft sail boats.
Old 28-02-2010, 07:49   #32

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
I can honestly say that I have never been to a boat show, but I do like to check out new boats whenever I can. I don't go looking for a replacement of the one I have, but I go looking for new ideas. Maybe I like the way that the nav station is layed out on this one, or I never thought of putting that other thing on the stern rail, etc.

I like to benefit from other people's creativity in achieving the same goals with getting all the gear we like on our boats.
Me Too!.

But Yacht-world is so much easier and faster...and I can loose the salesman with one click....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 16:19   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstines View Post
We just were in Miami for the boat show. It was our first show and I was a little disappointed the the Strictly Sail portion seemed so small. I wish we would have joined this forum before then...we would've loved to stop by. Where were you in the show?

Hi dtstines,

You weren't the only one disappointed by the strickly sail show this year. Many of the Vendors were upset as well. Though I actually had a pretty good show the rumours amoung the vendors is that if the show is there again next year many will decline to reserve their old booths. That would be a shame. The old venue at Bayside is far better. I was in booth 807. If you want to come to the Miami show again next year let me know and I'll get you some tickets.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
I love watching the new boats / toys at the show because I find the many new ideas fascinating. New toys for same old challenges, of sort.

But I see 99% of new boats so similar that I find them a waste of time. Boring, boring, boring boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:37   #35

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Shows are a good one stop shop place to touch, hold and see up close and personal all the things you can only look at in magazines and on the net.
It doesnt include the girls modelling the goods though.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:57   #36

Boat: O'Day 40' 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hi dtstines,

You weren't the only one disappointed by the strickly sail show this year. Many of the Vendors were upset as well. Though I actually had a pretty good show the rumours amoung the vendors is that if the show is there again next year many will decline to reserve their old booths. That would be a shame. The old venue at Bayside is far better. I was in booth 807. If you want to come to the Miami show again next year let me know and I'll get you some tickets.
Thank you very much for the generous offer! We'll keep that in mind for sure. Maybe they will change the venue back as it would be a shame to lose vendors in that way. We are planning on being at the show in Annapolis this year, and if you are planning the same, we would love to stop by to meet you.
dtstines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51   #37

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Interesting responses- and from the looks of it I am either normal or a cad or just plain stupid for not going....
In part I’m with ya… I used to do Annapolis every year and in the mid to late 1980s the show got to be gargantuan, with more stainless steel, fiberglass and varnished teak per square acre than anywhere else on the planet (or so it seemed). That was there era of bigger, better, shinier, quicker, whatever… conspicuous consumption was all the rage and at the time my circumstances allowed me to at least fake it. But after a few missteps with sales reps who knew less about (expensive) things nautical than me (and a whole lot more about selling), I became decidedly agnostic for many years -- and didn’t go near the place for fifteen years or so. But in the past four or five years I’ve started going again, grand kids and Admiral in tow; it probably helps that this is the first Admiral I’ve had who knows anything about boats and is actually interested…

Like some others have observed, many of the current venders seem more interested in just talking boats than selling anything and that is decidedly refreshing – I usually don’t take their expensive color brochures, but I generally do take a business card and on occasion have called for their product months later. But the real enjoyment is watching the grandson’s eyes light up as he explores… it’s worth the trip again I think…
Old 02-03-2010, 13:13   #38

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
This last week I had the opportunity to go to a big boat show. "We'll get you the tickets" said the local yacht business "Who knows you may find something you like" Well, after sleeping on it I already knew the answer. I have found something I like. Its already there in the marina, and I have the key to the door lock.
Other people I know seem to like shopping, but I just like redoing old sailboats.
So sorry all you guys that see me as money.
Not interested.
If you suffer the delusion that you have a really good boat, it's fun to go to boat shows and gawk at all the inferior boats that cost so much. LOL.

This is the first year in a while that I didn't go. They are a bit overwhelming at first, but after awhile they are same thing from year to year.

Everybody should go once, just for the 'experience.' I have found little bits of SS I can never seem to find anywhere else. And last year got on sale the heater that now resides in the boat. Saved on shipping and got it cheap (relatively speaking). Of course, that was the plan.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:59   #39

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Jeeze! l Know it takes a lot of time to weave your own cloth and tar your standing rigging but going to a boat show is not an obligation….it is an outing , day trip, a family fun thing. Something to do on a rainy day, when you can’t make salt. Besides all the shiny, overpriced boats there are many wondrous, useless or useful goodies to ponder. People to meet and contacts to make with all the friendly vendors you might need when your astrolabe breaks.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Well, this thread kinda confirms what I thought- that my anti-materialism bias is just a little on the weird side. I think all you guys just agree...he with the most toys wins. As as former survival instructor and fan of Walden, I would disagree. But I am OK with that.
When I see some old boat with a guy fishing out of the riff-raff, I am often amazed at his ingenuity not upset at his poverty.
BTW Hiracer- perhaps I do not have a really good old boat. But it is one I can work with, and perhaps this old sailor and old boat are a good combination.
No Antares, I do not have an Astrolabe. But I could construct one for you if you need it. I also see the benefit of navigation with just hand instruments and paper charts. I am working towards being able to fix everything on my boat, or to be able to do without.
Where did I get these crazy concepts? Oh I picked up a book while you were at the boat show....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 18:05   #41

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Newt, l suspect My boat is a bit more minimalist than yours and l did buy it on the bottom (Salvage) it is much cheaper that way. There is not anything l cannot do on a boat from diesels to donuts, but l still like looking at boats. New and old, wood glass, steel no matter. My point was simply that l thought it sanctimonious crap to suggest that, as suggested by a few of the posts, that there was no useful purpose to a boat show. lt was a general statement on the thread and not directed at you personally. E-mal is not a given here in the Bahamas so it may have not been timely.

One of my previous boats was a wooden delight built n 1956.. l Found a source for 5mm x120mm copper rivets at a boat show and bought 2500 to do the job at hand. Got a dozen floaty-bobs for my keys and a decent roast beef sandwich at the last show. Never did make t to the boats. Got Paper? Sure do.

l started doing this before “lectrons” became a part of sailing (well, did have an old am radio you could point towards the signal) First Sat nav l saw was $25k. HO249? …got a few old copies.

Don’t be intimidated by a poor schmuck trying to sell you a new “looksgood 54”. He was likely a politician or carpet salesman a few months ago and needs to feed his family too. Or he might be a guy that cruised the world and would be happy just to have a conversation while the shoeless ones wander over the boat he is stuck on. Anti materialism is a good thing However: Quote “Dreaming just comes natural…like the first breath to a baby” John Prine

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 20:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
And I guess my point, probably said quite awkwardly, is that shopping for stuff is a waste of time. Rather find something you can believe in and make it beautiful. Put your effort into it, not just a lot of cash.
It sounds like Will that you have done just that. I would love to learn just some of the skills that you have, and I will someday. I just have to keep at it. But this learning takes all my shore time, so I guess you won't be chatting me up at any boat shows.
Maybe on the water. I seem much more relaxed out there...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote