Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 14:01   #61

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Some things that can go south in a second when sailing singlehanded

Coming into a narrow-ish bay in front of a navy base, I felt the urge to show off my single handed sailing prowess – the plan was; belt in on a goosewing, round up on the jib side letting the jib gibe, drop main, ghost into anchorage on jib...of course the jibsheet hung up on something and I found myself trying to handle many tons of uncontrolled boat heading towards a large industrial jetty...navy folks must have had some good entertainment, boat survived, I discovered new depths of obscene language within myself ---
the lesson I learned; before entering congested areas, heave to, go and sit on the foredeck for a while and enjoy a quiet bit of contemplation of the beauty of being on the water, roll up anything not needed and make a quiet and humble but controlled entrance. I apply this philosophy pretty broadly and it probably applies to the subject of this thread as well.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:11   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Coming into a narrow-ish bay in front of a navy base, I felt the urge to show off my single handed sailing prowess – the plan was; belt in on a goosewing, round up on the jib side letting the jib gibe, drop main, ghost into anchorage on jib...of course the jibsheet hung up on something and I found myself trying to handle many tons of uncontrolled boat heading towards a large industrial jetty...navy folks must have had some good entertainment, boat survived, I discovered new depths of obscene language within myself ---
the lesson I learned; before entering congested areas, heave to, go and sit on the foredeck for a while and enjoy a quiet bit of contemplation of the beauty of being on the water, roll up anything not needed and make a quiet and humble but controlled entrance. I apply this philosophy pretty broadly and it probably applies to the subject of this thread as well.
Ain't it the truth! Humility should be the first thing a singlehander, or any sailor I guess, should pack on the boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 21:25   #63

Boat: Still building

Both Predator and Sweet Protection have 'baseball cap like' helmets, for those afraid of looking silly wearing a *helmet* onboard.

PREDATOR HELMETS - 2018 Shiznit | Lightweight freeride watersport helmet

https://sweetprotection.com/sp_no/wh...ection/helmets
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42   #64

Boat: 1980 Catalina 25

Unfortunately, as most of you know, some situations turn into a worse situation if not taken care of promptly. Sometimes we have to act promptly to avoid disaster. It is very important that you learn your boat. Practice moving to every point on your boat quickly and safely. Learn every hand hold and step. It is a great way to spend during the long boring days while at sea.

It could save your life.
captwylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 09:02   #65

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by captwylie View Post
Unfortunately, as most of you know, some situations turn into a worse situation if not taken care of promptly. Sometimes we have to act promptly to avoid disaster. It is very important that you learn your boat. Practice moving to every point on your boat quickly and safely. Learn every hand hold and step. It is a great way to spend during the long boring days while at sea.

It could save your life.

That!

My motto, that I mention to every new crew, goes like this : incident + incident + incident ... = accident

Never leave an issue unattended, it could get in the way at the worst time possible.

I still have to apply it to preventive maintenance or replacement... sometimes I’m procrastinating on minor stuff that are more of a comfort or nice-to-have nature [emoji55]
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, single