Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42   #16

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I was taught as a young man that "dancing was a vertical demonstration of a horizontal desire"...I am soooo glad I learned that lesson.

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58   #17

Boat: Bristol 34
Perhaps this thread is in fact relevant to sailing

Perhaps this thread is in fact relevant to sailing, as old dogs learning new tricks is part and parcel of the adventurous spirit that leads us to forsaking our pedestrian suburban livestyles, buy a boat and live on it while traveling to exotic climes.

For twenty five years I refused to dance with my wife. At parties, weddings and such I would decline my wife by quoting an federal statute enacted, I claimed, to specifically prohibit me from (a) speaking Dutch, (b) singing outside the shower and (c) wiggling my skinny bum in public.

Finally my dear wife convinced me to take Tango lessons. I forget what I had done that was so felonious that I was open to such extortion - but it must have been bad as I finally capitulated.

Okay, long story short – I loved it. We have danced Argentine Tango almost every week for the past few years and even performed in from of groups as large as 300 people.

So what else has dancing got to do with sailing? I opened my mind to a new adventure and reminded her of that when I hatched the hair-brained scheme to buy a 40’ live aboard sailboat, flog most our worldly possessions and take to the high seas.

She has not yet fully agreed, but has recently started to warm to the idea. Buenos Aires, Argentina is our ultimate port of call when we finally set sail.

Okay, so I don’t have a clue about sailing. I’ll be a babe in the woods with a pocketful of cash standing before a motivated boat broker. I’ll be lucky not to end up as a shark snack my first trip out.

However, I learned to Tango so I’ll learn to sail.

BTW – my last hair-brained scheme was to learn to fly, so I bought an airplane and then found someone to teach me to keep it from falling from the sky. So this will not be my first butt-backwards scheme and I figure I swim much better than I fall.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 05:43   #18

I agree with you. I am also new to sailing and find it easy learn. Now dancing the Tango thats another matter. Not many sailors can dance.
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:10   #19

Rover 88

Thank you I have had more hare brained schemes in my life than I care to admit. Learning to dance in public and sing Karaoke SOBER were highlights. When I annouced to my friends and family I intended to buy a sailboat and cruise the world it barely raised an eyebrow on any of them....
bob46371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 10:00   #20

Boat: Bristol 34
Bob46371,
Funny how my friends had the same reaction to my announcement that I was buying a boat to spend a few years cruising and exploring, with nary a comment on my complete and total ignorance of sailing. In fact, most were quite excited at the idea. I think that there lurks in each of them the same desire to break free of the rat race. Sailing open water is as close to true freedom as we may find in our modern world.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 11:05   #21

My family and I are going to go sailing around the world in 3 years. Was hopeing in 2 years: Been told i have to work on for another year. Cant wait for the big day. Was going to Sail myself. Now i am going to employ a captain to do the sailing, so we can do the diving and the filming.
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:22   #22

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
My wife calls it 'dirty dancing'

It's what I do right after I injure myself while fixing something. You know, that little hopping circle dance while swearing and flicking little blood droplets all about the boat...
And here I thought I was the only one who knew how to do that dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote