Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 13:52   #1

Shitty evening

Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum. Nothing to learn here and I'm not sure if this is even interesting to read. But since I wrote it I'll just post it anyway.

Today I went back to my boat after spending few nights on a shore. Plan was to get some work done one electrics (installing an inverter). Maybe fix the heater as it broke again.

I open the hatch and i'm greeted with a familiar and very much hated smell of the head. At first my thought is that a visitor went to use the head just before we left the boat and didn't flush properly. I go to check and everything is seemingly ok, except for the smell. I start to install the inverter and everything seems to be fine. I'm just starting to think that the smell wasn't that bad and I was just imagining things. Until I open the battery compartment and the smell becomes a whole lot worse. Fearing the worst I take a look below the floor.

****. **** everywhere. Apparently the sewage thank has a leak and had emptied itself. Also there was somewhat rough weather on the weekend so the compartments next the sewage tank are also covered in human waste. With all the stuff I have stored there of course.

It's getting late, but I decide I'll at least start cleaning it out... Now, I have a manual bilge pump which doesn't pump the water out to the sea, but to the cockpit floor instead. Cockpit drains to the sea. I figured rinsing the cockpit would be simple and then I could get back to actual cleaning. Except that now the cockpit didn't drain didn't since the drainage pipes are clogged for some reason. So the waste water just seems to sit there in the cockpit.

So right now I have **** inside the boat, **** in the cockpit and a broken heater. Oh, and when I closed the door to the head, the door managed to latch itself from the inside (hook and eye type latch, i didn't know this was even possible). Unable to take it anymore I grabbed few beers and headed to the shore.

I'm now spending another night on land, almost done with my third beer. Heading to bed now and tomorrow I'll go back to the cleaning duty.
amarjala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:07   #2

Re: Shitty evening

UGH.... flush the bilge liberally!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:09   #3

Boat: Baba 35

Ooof.

My condolences.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:16   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

What a load of crap .

I feel your pain. Sounds awful. Stories like yours make me appreciate my composting head even more.
Old 14-07-2020, 14:16   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

An awful day. Boats suck sometimes. It’ll turn around.

Desiccating/compost head will solve that from happening again.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:21   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

On the bright side your heater isn’t working. Don’t need to heat that mess up anymore than it needs too right now. Buy lots of vinegar good luck
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:22   #7

Rum helps!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 14:29   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

think positively: at least it didn't happen at sea!

Hang in there... things are bound to get better.

Jim
Old 14-07-2020, 14:55   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Get about a 3 or 4 inch diameter hole saw and drill a new drain in the bilge. All your problems solved.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But who among us haven't felt like doing that at one time or another?
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 15:50   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
think positively: at least it didn't happen at sea!

Hang in there... things are bound to get better.

Jim
What a yucky thing to look forward to. Maybe sharing something a little similar will ease the pain somewhat....

It was the morning after we were dismasted while lying hove to. Our new destination port was 65 n. mi. away, and we were motoring. Motion on the boat, with no mast, was such that I had to hold the kettle over the burner for morning beverages, and make the toast holding the bread over the burner with a cooking fork. We were getting the job done, but not a shining hour.

When Jim used the head in the morning, it plugged, and in his efforts to clear the blockage, you know what sprayed all over the head compartment, and the "excess" liquids, drained into the bilge.

He came back out to the cockpit a short while after he had left, and announced, "You'll have to use the bucket until we get in and I can clean the head." Can you imagine how grateful I felt?! And he did. In fact, we've only had a few really yucky messes over the years, and he has dealt with every one. For me, it's kind of a "my hero!" feeling. And, never a complaint, or whinge.

Ann
Old 14-07-2020, 23:42   #11

Thanks for the comments. They really help. Today things looks a lot brighter.

It's only some hours of cleaning work instead of say, days.

No need for drastic action after all

amarjala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 08:51   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Ugh, what a nasty mess. The other bright side of this is that the boat is going to be really clean and safer (i.e. the cockpit will now drain)....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote