Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55   #76
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: SAILING with CANCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd be happy to crew if its after May.. just taken on a commitment till then..
Just need coffee's and lotsa cheeze n tomato on toast...
n somewhere to smoke..
Quote:
Quote:
We have the crew to make it but we do not have the funds and working on it to raise it.
It looks like it is not 'time' that John and Melanie need folks to volunteer. John is a great member of our community, and my heart is going out to Melanie (and John, of course). I wish there were something I could do to help them along through this horrible time.

Thank you, Ralph, for sharing this with us.
Looks like they don't need bodies after all, just the funds to get the job done ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SAILING with CANCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Looks like they don't need bodies after all, just the funds to get the job done ; -)
Okay... thats my voluntary deed for the year outa the way then...
Go back to being mercenary...

Thanks Sara...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:50   #78

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Why not get a crew together to bring her to California as John has planned?

That's a very good idea. Never having sailed a cat and living in Canada, I'm not the best choice, but I would wager there are plenty of people in the southern U.S., Mexico and the islands who would be. If it were more feasible, I'd love the chance to do a Canal transit as practice, and I'd prefer a cat's speed to get north.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:20   #79

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Sending strength and peace to you both. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:18   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok now ye went and made me cry.
dangit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:00   #81

Boat: WD Schock Santana 30
My blog about....Sailing With Cancer

Just posted a blog about a man who is sailing with cancer. I am sure a lot of you have heard of I'm or have seen his blog. I am not going to go into his story, I just want to say here how much e has inspired me in a short amount of time. If you have a second please check out the blog entry and maybe his blog as well...

Thanks

Sailing With Cancer | Cuajota
Cuajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:06   #82
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Nice boat Cuajota, and I share the feelings that you have written in your blog. Is there anyone here that hasn't lost a friend or family member to cancer? I watched my step mom wither away and die in pain. Cancer sucks!

Several years ago, John and I made a connection, for that lack of a better word, through posts here at CF. He became a mentor to me through his posts, and many pm's. I guess he was trying to keep me from hurting myself!

Some of the long time members here will recall that John used to throw the "Spring Fling" and "Fall Ball", at his marina in Green Cove Springs, Fl. for members of several sailing forums. He would do the the grilling, and what a fine grill-meister he is! I had just lost my job, thanks to the economy, and he suggested that my wife and I should drive from Texas to Florida for his Fall Ball. We did just that, and he put us up in the guest berth on Imagine for a week. Little did I know, later I would spend a month aboard, sailing to South America. I left there, after getting homesick/missing my wife....but the plan was to sail from Florida, thru the Canal, to Hawaii, to San Francisco. Can you say -Experience of a Lifetime!?

All I can say is that he is exactly the MAN, that you get from reading his posts. A great teacher, a great friend, and yes..... one hell of a sailor!

He is also quite the writer, as most know. I will share this message I got from him a couple of years ago-

I was told if you can sail S.F. Bay. That you can sail anywhere. I honed my skills several times a week in all weather on the bay for 18 months. The last year was single-handing Frolic most of the time.

I sailed out the Golden Gate on the ebb tide, and light wind. I was nervous, and as I went under the gate I asked myself if I was sure this is what I wanted. I looked over my shoulder at the city, S.F., and silently said to myself YES.

6 hours later it was blowing stink, and I was sick enough I thought I was dying. I couldn't go below, because I was even sicker there. I would force myself below every 2 hours to get my fix.

I slept on the cockpit floor, or tried to sleep. It was in the 40's tempature wise. The cold kept me from sleeping. Through sheer determination I forced the sickness out of my mind, and pushed forward.

The second day was Thanksgiving, and I couldn't eat. I forced half a sandwich down, and an apple later. There were doubts in my mind, but everytime I asked myself what I was doing I pushed on. All the time thinking of friends, and family around a large comfortable table with more before them than they could eat.

I had problem after problem after problem, and finally I reached Mexico, Ensenada. I had a bad vibration, and thumping sound out of my prop. I limped into the yard, and I callled my wife. I told her maybe I am not cut out to be a sailor.

I had already been through a torn sail at sea, and hand stitched. I had rounded point conception in 50+ wind, and 20+ft. seas. I had gone nearly 400 miles miles not knowing the difference between magnetic, and true compass reading. I was always 14 degrees off on all my navigating, and now this.

I have to have a belly laugh right now, because this was her reply. "WTF ru going to do come back after all these miles? I already bought my ticket for Cabo!"

I agreed with her in my mind. I had already gone far alone in a busy shipping lane, seen, and weathered Mother Nature. In a split second I replied "see you in Cabo." I hung up the phone.

I walked back to the yard, and Frolic was in the slings. There wrapped around the shaft was a huge ball of kelp....****ING KELP! I couldn't believe it. She was splashed, and I sailed farther south into even more interesting sailing.......we can share that over a 6pack, and a sunset while the grill is going, and the girls are waiting to be fed....poppy

and one more.....

You just go slow, and make sure your lovely bride is happy. A step at a time, a day at a time, and you will get to where you need to be. It's not mandatory to go below the 5 capes. It's not mandatory to leave a known shore for the unknown shore. The only thing mandatory in sailing is maintanance, or the boat will wither.

STORY

I was down, and out financially. I was having problems with Frolic in Cabo trying to get back to S.F. I put her in the hard, yes in the hard for storage. I could not afford a cradle to set her in, so they dug her a hole. I swear it was like burying a dead person as they lowered her in.

The yard workers left, and I was so ashamed. I looked around the yard, and boats had been sitting for years abandoned. I walked up to Frolic, and layed my hand on her bow. Her bow was lower than my eyes. I looked down at her, and promised her I wouldn't leave her here to die. I promised I would be back as soon as I could.

If she could just get me home I would give her everything she needed. I asked for her understanding, and forgiveness. I left weeping, and mad at myself.

Several months later I returned. I got the feeling like a puppy who is glad to see you come home from work. They picked her up, and lowered her in her element. I cleaned her for days inside, and out. The desert's dust finds every crevice there is.

Needless to say we got home, but I harbored the fear that she would die in that hole forgotten, and unloved.

WELL, it's time to go home, and I do mean the house. I am going to sit by the pool, and reflect on Frolic tonight. Drink some beer, and maybe do a wee bit of weeping. I wish I could bond with a woman like I did that boat!......DADDYo

I'm not giving up on him, but things have to be dire. He would never have left Imagine in Panama again.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33   #83

Boat: Tartan 37

Would someone be so kind as to update me on the situation of the couple? Bob (Sand Crab) made me aware of the situation as we are starting to shop for a Catamaran. He mentioned John's cat to me. Also, we are in Florida (Clearwater) and apparently John and Melanie are too.

We might be able to help John and Melanie in practical ways if they are close by. Also, my husband is a very skilled sailor who has been sailing for 50 years and might be able to help bring their vessel home. We may be able to help in other ways, as well. I could not find any updated information on their blog.

Thanks SandCrab and thanks all.
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Okay... thats my voluntary deed for the year outa the way then...
Go back to being mercenary...

Thanks Sara...

You're just an ol' softie!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29   #85
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Really sad news guys. I got an email from Melanie this morning. John has passed away. We will all miss him.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SAILING with CANCER

Sad to hear this about the 'Man'....
But also happy for him the suffering is past...
He walked the walk..
Respect...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:52   #87

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Living the dream beats wishing you had.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11   #88

That is so true Bob (Sandcrab). I am so sorry to hear this Ralph. My condolences to all who knew him and loved him.

Darby
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sailing With Cancer

Please extend our deepest condolences to Melanie.

We know this is a difficult time for her; however, if it is any consolation, she must know that John was very much admired and respected, and will be sincerely missed, by all his friends aboard the CruisersForum.

May she find the strength and courage to get through the days ahead, and know that our thoughts and prayers will be with her.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16   #90

Lovely GordMay. Beautiful sentiments, perfectly expressed.

~ Darby

Tags
sailing